PDA

View Full Version : Another deer

44man
12-11-2005, 09:47 AM
No pics yet, it is freezing out. I used my BFR 45-70 revolver for this one, a nice doe on the last day of doe season. I shot it for my mailman that hurt his foot and could not get out to hunt. He shares deer with an old couple that also can't get out to hunt anymore.
I used the 317 gr LBT style boolit from my home made mold, 31 gr of 4759 and a tuft of fiberfill above the powder. Velocity is 1535 fps.
This was my fifth deer for the season, two with the bow and one each, .475, .44 and 45-70. I think I will quit! I am seeing large herds of doe yet, must have been 30 in one bunch I kicked up. We have snow but there is no way to track a deer because every inch of woods has tracks on it.
I am also having trouble with my Bushnel red dot. It seems the cold is effecting the point of impact. I have had to re-adjust it several times. It took two shots for this doe because I was hitting a little low. I shot it at a target down in my woods and this is the second time I had to add elevation. I tried my .475 with the Ultra Dot and it has stayed the same.
I have shot the 45-70 many times in cold weather when I had a scope on it without a problem and the chrono says the load is not changing so I can only blame the red dot. It looks like I will be buying another Ultra Dot.
Has anyone else found a problem with the red dots?

doghawg
12-11-2005, 12:00 PM
.44 man.

Congrats on your hunting success. I never got to lite off either one of these in our Wis. deer season. Either I'm a lousy deer hunter or the wolves ate them all and I'm blaming the wolves. :violin:

I really like the Aimpoint 9000 SC with 4 moa dot but at $329.00 it isn't cheap. The Leupold 2X on the .45/70 is always a good and reliable choice. Am planning to order an Ultradot for my 6 1/2" .475 BFR and would assume you would agree on that choice?

Randy

44man
12-11-2005, 02:00 PM
The Ultra Dot is holding up great. I can't afford the high dollar ones being on a fixed income. I also took a $400 loss when the PBGC took over my United pension. I would love to have an Aimpoint or an ACOG. I have been wasting money on the cheap ones though.

doghawg
12-11-2005, 03:22 PM
.44 man

I'm 58 and still working but, being in the Teamsters Central States Pension plan, am watching some of my retirement plans evaporate. That's why that 130 dollar Ultradot has caught my interest. Do you know where that reddot is made? I guess it's a losing battle trying to keep the "Made in China" products out of the gun safe but I'm still trying.

44man
12-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Dog, it is made in Japan. Here is the pic

doghawg
12-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Nice doe. Japan I can live with.

One final question. I see the Ultradot comes with Weaver style rings that should be compatible with the BFR supplied base on my .475. Are those rings going to be tough enough? Hope you don't mind all the questions but you've already been there!

Randy

44man
12-11-2005, 10:26 PM
I used Warne rings but the rings that come with the Ultra Dot look like they will work. They are the same as the Warne but only have two screws and are aluminum but look tough. I used Z rings on the other guns.
I am going to use the supplied rings on the new one so I don't have to spend more money.