PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning brass with vinegar

frank_1947
11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
some where in here I saw a recipe for a cleaner useing vinegar and water maybe something else I would like to know the amounts of each product.

Thanks in advance
Frank

JCherry
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
frank_1947,

You might want to look at the below thread, especially Post #5.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=38622

Have Fun,

JCherry

Murphy
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
1 Quart of water.

1 Cup of White Vinegar.

1/2 Cup of Lemon Juice.

1/4 Cup of Dishwashing or Laundry soap.

Mix well, then place your brass into the solution. Allow the brass to sit for 30 minutes the agitate the brass, let it sit another 20-30 minutes (Or to your satisfaction).

Drain the solution off your cases and towel dry them. You may also wish to place them in the oven at about 150-200 Degrees for 20 or 30 minutes also, this helps to insure the insides are dry as well as the primer pockets. I deprimed all my brass prior to cleaning it.

Murphy

randyrat
11-02-2008, 04:24 PM
The above recipe works like a charm. i use a ice cream pail and shake a couple time then i rinse with hot water , it helps in the drying process. make sure your brass is dry before using

frank_1947
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
thanks guys the one Murphy has was the one I was looking for, only for 357 mags as you know I list brass for sale here and some 357 or stained and it takes long time to tumble clean so I will try next bunch I get.

frank_1947
11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
randyrat

I am in the process of buying some beeswax from someone in here I forgot who, but I have been making my own lube for ever useing candles and any thing else you can think of I will admit I am cheap and have never bought lube, I have never had any leading shooting all 9mm 40SW 45acp thats it, I mix some vasoline in my candles and chunks of toilet bowl ring in it also. so I am going to try beeswax just to support other folks on the forum since they are supporting me, I like to keep my stuff simple I will not go thru some of the things I have read about shaving soap and doing all types of rituals.

So I am thinking I can treat the beeswax the same as candles add my toilet ring or vasoline and good to go.

How is the smoke from the beeswax I am wondering, I get about the same from mine as those who use commercial stuff.

I went to your beeswax page you can save your cutomers money on small amounts by useing the flat rate card board envelop for $4.80 i fit 200 44 mags in it ck it out at post office, they say you are not suppose to tape the top part that you seal but I do to make sure it does not come open no problem yet. being of a business mind and CHEAP I think there are folks out there would like to try beeswax and would like one pound but at $9.80 in flat rate box I use hundreds of , they may not shipping cost more then product, and that is probably why I have never bought any thing other then make my own. just a thought to increase your small volume sales

remy3424
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Ya Murphy's recipe works well..Thanks. I tried a dab of Lyman's Turbo Bright in my old walnut shell media and WOW, that makes some shiny brass, better than new!!! I dry my cases after the bath with a hair dryer before they take a tumble.

frank_1947
11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I use lyman also I have 2 2500 pro tumblers and bought a third from grafs i wanted to try does 1000 9mm so far so good made by berry mfg.

randyrat
11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
randyrat

I am in the process of buying some beeswax from someone in here I forgot who, but I have been making my own lube for ever useing candles and any thing else you can think of I will admit I am cheap and have never bought lube, I have never had any leading shooting all 9mm 40SW 45acp thats it, I mix some vasoline in my candles and chunks of toilet bowl ring in it also. so I am going to try beeswax just to support other folks on the forum since they are supporting me, I like to keep my stuff simple I will not go thru some of the things I have read about shaving soap and doing all types of rituals.

So I am thinking I can treat the beeswax the same as candles add my toilet ring or vasoline and good to go.

How is the smoke from the beeswax I am wondering, I get about the same from mine as those who use commercial stuff.

I went to your beeswax page you can save your cutomers money on small amounts by useing the flat rate card board envelop for $4.80 i fit 200 44 mags in it ck it out at post office, they say you are not suppose to tape the top part that you seal but I do to make sure it does not come open no problem yet. being of a business mind and CHEAP I think there are folks out there would like to try beeswax and would like one pound but at $9.80 in flat rate box I use hundreds of , they may not shipping cost more then product, and that is probably why I have never bought any thing other then make my own. just a thought to increase your small volume sales I ship using the USPS envelope$4.80 for anything under 4 lbs. I need to talk to Wijen "CAST PICS" and make some changes. I'll ship as small a package as you wish. I just tape the label on and run it all around the package never a complaint. The Post office is happy with anything i send as long as it isen't a 50 lb box of lead:twisted:. You gotta condition them a little. I beleive you can treat the Beeswax like your other waxes and i'll bet it will work better. I'm not the expert on lubes... I use a small amount of JPW (Johnson past wax) and beeswax on most of my 45 acp never a problem. I also used this on the 40 cal and slow 30 cal boolits Plinkers. Others i use ALOX. So if you want only one (1) lb of beeswax let me know. Please lets ask some of the others here that ARE the experts on lube. There are also hours an hours of reading on this subject in the search field. I read until my eyes almost were bleading and i still didn't finish. It's a science by itself. Come to think of it i never noticed smoke when i shoot cast,,,it's too much fun. I know candles and other forms of wax will have some nasty smoke when you use them.

randyrat
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
FRANK.. I'm sorry to hijack your thread...I hope all your questions were answered about cleaning with acid solutions. i've cleaned brass like this for years and never had a problem, but i would never leave brass in any acid for too long, you could run into problems, ie.. weaken your brass.

frank_1947
11-02-2008, 11:12 PM
randyrat, no problem you didnt hijack anything i appreciate all input I am in the process of buying wax from someone in here before i saw your add i will let you know if that works out.
thanks

11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I've used the solution as noted above and have made a drying rack, of sorts, by making a "bed of nails". Have hammered large finishing nails in a block of wood in an organized set of rows and just rinse the cases with fresh water and pop them on the nail as they stick up from the wood block. Set the block aside for awhile and come back when they are dry. Helps to sort different case types out when doing large quanities of mixed cases.

frank_1947
11-03-2008, 12:08 AM

that is a great idea
Thanks

jonk
11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I've done it in my ultrasonic. 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 hot water, a little dish soap, 10 minutes or so and it is clean. Then a rinse in baking soda/water to neutralize any acid. A dip in milk would also work I'm sure but is more expensive.

I've also used coffee pot cleaner. It too is a mild acid. Works well. 5 minutes an dit is done.

Shuz
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I've used the solution as noted above and have made a drying rack, of sorts, by making a "bed of nails". Have hammered large finishing nails in a block of wood in an organized set of rows and just rinse the cases with fresh water and pop them on the nail as they stick up from the wood block. Set the block aside for awhile and come back when they are dry. Helps to sort different case types out when doing large quanities of mixed cases.

Another method that works uses plastic ammo trays that hold 50 rounds; like those that come in factory handgun loads. Or.....a plastic loading block that has small air holes drilled in the bottom. With either of these trays, you can simply place the wet cases over a heat or a/c source and the air blows up from the bottom and drys them in no time.

frank_1947
11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
lot of great ideas I have copied and paste them all in ms word thanks a bunch

knappy
10-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Thank you 725 that is a great bit of Info, will try as soon as get nails

x101airborne
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Frank.... look at my albums and you will see what a 257 roberts case looks like that is acid leached. Ruined a 1000.00 winchester 70 featherweight chamber. Rifle was new in the box made in 1988. Just a caution to not let the cases sit in the solution too long. The holes cut that chamber like a cutting torch.

Moonie
10-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I use 50/50 cold water/white vinegar for 28 minutes, then cold water with some baking soda for 8 min to counter act the vinegar, then run them in a short cycle in my washer (front loader) hot cycle then cold cycle, in a pillow case. Then into the dryer for about 15 min.

Brass looks brand new.

TonyM
10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Anyone ever use CLR (http://www.amazon.com/Jelmar-CLR-CL-12-28-Ounce-Cleaner/dp/B00009EFEX) to clean brass? I have a **** load of it... and have been tempted to try it but never have...

Anyone see anything wrong with trying it?.... (Besides it could ruin my brass of course..lol)

x101airborne
10-27-2010, 04:41 AM
im no chemist, but i would think clr to brass would be like corrosive primers to a good barrel. you can, but.....

243winxb
10-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Do not use Vinegar on cartridge brass, it has a long term effect on it. google these - "dezincification" &"Brass" I now use 1 tablespoon of "ReaLemon" to 1 qt. of water. Very old thread 11-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Moonie
10-27-2010, 10:36 AM
From what I take from that link is that the jury is out on it and lots of the people posting there DO use vinegar to clean...

shootingbuff
10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
I have used a couple of squirts of Dawn in a half filled 5 gal bucket. Agitate and watch T.V. Every other commercial re agitate. By the end of a movie, football game, etc I rinse and spread out in the hot sun to dry. Amazing how clean they get. Maybe not as bright and shiny, but clean. To easy. As stated ensure they are dry especially the primer pockets.

chris in va
10-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Before wising up and getting a tumbler, I was tossing brass in a bucket of hot water, vinegar and salt. Swished it around for a couple minutes and rinsed with cold water.

But wait, we're not done yet. Dried all the brass on a towel then heated the oven to 225 and baked for 1 hour.

Brass was shootable, but nowhere near the clean level of a tumbler.

azjohn
10-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Citric acid. 243 uses realemon; pretty much the same thing.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572

HORNET
10-28-2010, 10:09 AM
If you read down through the writeup in the link: http://www.hghouston.com/coppers/brass73.htm , it says that brasses are NOT suitable for use in contact with ammonia or strong mineral acids (Nitric, hydrochloric, etc) It also says that they're resistant to alkalis and organic acids. Sounds like vinegar should be O.K., but I would recommend use in moderation. For reference, vinegar is a dilute acetic acid while ammonia is a base.

mpmarty
10-28-2010, 10:31 AM
And clean shiny brass shoots better because.........???????????

prs
10-28-2010, 12:28 PM
1 Quart of water.

1 Cup of White Vinegar.

1/2 Cup of Lemon Juice.

Mix well, then place your brass into the solution. Allow the brass to sit for 30 minutes the agitate the brass, let it sit another 20-30 minutes (Or to your satisfaction).

Drain the solution off your cases and towel dry them. You may also wish to place them in the oven at about 150-200 Degrees for 20 or 30 minutes also, this helps to insure the insides are dry as well as the primer pockets. I deprimed all my brass prior to cleaning it.

Murphy

I'm gonna try this one, thanks Murphy! That is a lot of soap, but if it works, I'll be happy. The mix Horandy supplied for their ultrasonic device sure was lame. I was thinking about trying a solution of muriatic (mason's) acid, but your recipe seems a lot more safe.

prs

Roundnoser
10-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Try Copper Glo, made by Bar Keeper's Friend (3 - 4 bucks a bottle, and will last for a long time). you can fiend it on-line if not in your local store. -- Contains citric acid. -- Place brass in a plastic bowl...squirt Copper Glo onto the brass and mix it around vigorously with your hand for 1 minute (make sure all brass has been coated). Rinse with cold water (neutralizes the citric acid). Even badly tarnished brass will be look new. Dry completely. Throw brass into a tumbler for 15 - 30 min. Brass comes out like factory new.

Been using it for a few years...Doesnt cause brittleness. Works great.

Markbo
10-28-2010, 04:21 PM
So nobody just tumbles their brass and washes the dust off with water? Goodness gracious, look at all the extra time I could be investing doing something I didn't even know needed doing! [smilie=w:

Jailer
10-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I use about a tablespoon of Lemi shine and a drop of dish soap in the kitchen sink with just enough hot water to cover the brass. Works great to clean the carbon deposits on the inside of the case. I'm impatient so I throw them in my dehydrator for an hour to dry and then tumble for an hour. Brass looks like new when done.

63 Shiloh
10-28-2010, 09:32 PM
I use a good squirt of lemon juice and dawn in hot water, I run them in a Thumblers Tumbler for 1 hour.

Them rinse well with hot water, to dry, I use the shoe rack thingo for the clothes dryer. Put the case in an old pasta strainer and give it a shake every 15 mins until dry.

I do then put the dry cases in a Lyman Turbo 1200 for a couple of hours to remove any water stains.

Works for me.

Best of luck.

Mike

HORNET
10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
marty, clean brass might shoot a little better since you're removing the grud left by burning powder and lube, which maintains clearances in tight chambers. It certainly looks better and more 'professional' which shows some sense of pride and craftsmanship. It also can make it easier to find when your favorite Garand decides to throw your weight-matched, primer pocket & flash hole uniformed, neck turned match brass 37 yards in the general direction of Cleveland...

jdgabbard
10-29-2010, 06:45 PM
marty, clean brass might shoot a little better since you're removing the grud left by burning powder and lube, which maintains clearances in tight chambers. It certainly looks better and more 'professional' which shows some sense of pride and craftsmanship. It also can make it easier to find when your favorite Garand decides to throw your weight-matched, primer pocket & flash hole uniformed, neck turned match brass 37 yards in the general direction of Cleveland...

:popcorn: I second this motion...

HangFireW8
10-30-2010, 08:52 PM
And clean shiny brass shoots better because.........???????????

It is easier to adjust bullet seating depth and shoulder reset when your dies aren't full of grit.

It is easier to inspect and reject tiny cracks and incipient head space separation when you can actually see them.

It allows you to take pride in your work instead of just pushing through another batch of ugly looking ****.

That's why.

-HF

prs
11-02-2010, 01:23 PM
"Originally Posted by Murphy
1 Quart of water.

1 Cup of White Vinegar.

1/2 Cup of Lemon Juice.

Murphy"

OK; I gave this a shot. Mixed exactly as above with hot tap water. Let 25 rounds of 45 colt cases soak for 30 minutes, aggitated, and soaked again 30 minutes. Worked pretty well, worked WAY better than the crappy stuff Hornady had me mix for their ultrasonic cleaner. However, the solution did leave a copperish shean to the brass, maybe its a bit strong?

Next I used same mix with another 25 round batch of same brass. Put the brass and solution into the ultrasonic cleaner and let it soak 30 minutes. Cycled the cleaner through two 8 minute full cycles and left it soak another 30 minutes. Way clean; inside and out, including primer pockets; but even more copper shean.

Also, with both batches, I rinsed with cold water to remove any acid residue and then dried in convection oven on paper towel.

I think I may weaken the solution by at least half next time and see. I was about to chalk-up the ultrasound as junk, and maybe it still is since the solution worked pretty well with out it.

prs

felix
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Try it without the vinegar. ... felix

prs
11-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Ha! All this 'speriment'n is gonna cause me to hafta go out and shoot-up more ammo. Oh the scarifices we make for this board!

Ya, I was thinking maybe both acids were maybe a bit much.\

prs

geargnasher
11-02-2010, 02:48 PM
What, you don't scrounge dirty brass at the local range? :kidding:

Gear

James6406
04-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I am going to try this recipe this afternoon on some 380 range pickup brass that I was given. Thanks.

MtGun44
04-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Citric acid is safer for everything. Look at the sticky.

Bill

tjones
04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Ammonia cleans brass best! tj

DLCTEX
04-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Ammonia is a NO! for brass. It will damage brass and weaken it.

MtGun44
04-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Ammonia ruins brass, and quickly.

Bill