PDA

View Full Version : Confess your accidental discharge here:

Crash_Corrigan
08-27-2019, 06:46 AM
Yeah this is the elephant in the room with a buncha shooters during a jawing session over coffee or possibly a beer or two. We pretty much in the past years may have had an accidental discharge along the way.

I am sure that none of us are proud of it and we may not want to discuss it but at least for me it was a real strong wake up call about gun safety.

I was 12 years old and I had been allowed to utilize my dad's .22 for two years already. It was a Savage Model 23 bolt action rifle in .22 lr with a 5 round magzine. This was not a lightweight gun at all. It was well worn when I got my paws on it and I must have fired 10,000 rounds thru it from '55 to '61.

One day a pair of friends and I decided to go to a nearby neighbor's field to bag a woodchuck or two.

My older friend was allowed to drive his dad's '55 Ford SW and we all piled in on the way to the field. I had a round chambered and 5 more in the magazine and the safety was engaged. During the ride the bolt was jostled a mite open and when I noticed that I pushed it closed. The rifle fired and I about made a mess in my pants. Good fortune smiled as the snout of the rifle had been pointed up and now we had a hole in the roof to explain. We found some glue and mixed it with some rough sawdust and formed a plug to fit and formed neat repair. A little black paint on the roof and we were good to go. We stuck a piece of masking tape over the hole in the headliner and it matched the color of the fabric. My friend's dad was only about 5' tall and the roof was higher than his eyes. We swore ourselves to secrecy and kept on with our lives.

Further examination of the rifle reproduced the malfunction again and again. So I learned that this rifle must never have a round in the chamber until you are ready to shoot. I pretty much never ever carried a loaded rifle inside a vehicle again. And I never had another AD again.

Many years later a friend was showing me his colt .25 ACP when he mishandled it and it fired a neat hole in his floor. We found the slug in the basement spattered flat on the concrete floor about 3 feet away from his wife who was washing clothing. We had a few exciting minutes there and he had some serious fence mending to do.

I am sure that some of also might have an interesting tale of woe.

Lloyd Smale
08-27-2019, 06:55 AM
ill narc on my buddy. We were bird hunting back in the 80s and he blew a hole in the floor of my pickup with his 12 guage.

Hickory
08-27-2019, 07:19 AM
I have a S&W model 60-15 that has a hammer that has bit more of a down turn than my earlier model 60's.
Plus, I have nerve injury to my neck that have left my thumb, pointer and middle fingers partially numb on my right hand. I sometimes sandpaper my trigger finger for better feel when shooting a handgun. I have to be more aware of what I'm doing when using this handgun. I shoot rifles left handed.

UKShootist
08-27-2019, 07:22 AM
I've had six. All boys.

Petrol & Powder
08-27-2019, 07:29 AM
I've had six. All boys.

:bigsmyl2:

GhostHawk
08-27-2019, 07:40 AM
Only 2 here, one was the result of too much oil on a Ruger 10/22 bolt and very cold hunting trip. Got out of the truck, loaded up, released the bolt and missed my left front tire by 6 inches. That one was long ago and far away.

Some 3 years ago I was doing some dry fire practice with a Hipoint C9 9mm. I kept a dummy cartridge with hot melt glue in the primer pocket for dry fire practice by my coffee cup. Where and how my fingers came up with a fully loaded factory round I still have not figured out.

So the gun was aimed, hit just were I was aiming, one of buttons on momma's big remote controlled fan.

I instantly ran outside, figured where the hole should be. Stucco house, 5/4 doug fir sheathing built in 1916. No hole on the outside.
Dog and cat were significantly shook up. I was sitting on the back steps shaking when momma came home from work. She knew instantly that something was wrong. So I fessed up.

No more dry fire practice. That last one scared me.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-27-2019, 07:40 AM
My adult grandfather about took out his mother's second husband with a handgun he was fiddling with. His hands did shake a bit his entire life, not sure if that caused it or not. Despite the shakes, he could shoot a rifle quite well.

One of the neighbor kids (or so the story goes) put a .22 hole in my grandparents ceiling/roof.

Hickory
08-27-2019, 07:44 AM
I've had six. All boys.

Sounds like more of a miss handling of something other than you trigger finger.

JimB..
08-27-2019, 07:53 AM
I was adjusting the trigger stop on a ruger mk2 pistol. It’s a trial and error thing that should be done with dummy rounds, but I was at the range. Insert mag, chamber, test trigger, drop mag, clear chamber, adjust trigger, rinse and repeat. About the 4th time I was super close and failed to drop the mag and clear the chamber. Adjusted the grub screw a hair and bumpfired the 3 rounds left in the mag. All rounds went neatly down range onto the dirt.

Sig556r
08-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Lawyers call that "negligent" or "reckless" discharge, regardless...won't talk about it...

jmort
08-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Had a 9mm go off in garage
Ears ringing for a few days
Good thing I followed Cooper rule #2
Was aiming at some dirt outside the garage

RU shooter
08-27-2019, 08:29 AM
I was just a young lad of 21 working as part time patrolman in a little town . Got off work one Saturday night at 3am took my colt commander out of the holster as was sitting in my driveway at my parents house .my routine was to drop the mag and rack the slide to empty it and lower the hammer and re holster before I went in the house. A cocked and locked 1911 made my dad nervous is house his rules!
Dropped the magazine as usual snicked the safety off and went ride the hammer down with my thumb . Well the hammer slipped and the next thing I was sitting there stunned from the concussion of a round going off in that small car with the windows up ! Took me about 10 seconds to regain my senses and make sure I didn't shoot my self in the leg ! Ok all good no pain or blood! Then it hit me ohhh **** I just shot my car ! The 45 cal black talon round went into the dash right at the corner ofthe radio yes it still worked ! Then I though ohhh no the motor !!! Popped the hood and got out my light iwas relieved when I saw that quarter sized dent in the fire wall but no hole . I'd had enough went in and went to bed . Next morning crawled under the dash to see what was damaged . Luckily there was only a hole through the plastic duct work and found the slug stuck to the firewall . Fatigue and being tired got the best of me that night as I forgot to rack that round outa the chamber like I've always done before dropping that hammer . I was very lucky and stupid !

gwpercle
08-27-2019, 08:45 AM
I've had six. All boys.
One girl ... in the backseat of my 1968 Chevelle at the drive in movies .

The second , a boy , was " planned" 6 years later.

Gary

Pb Burner
08-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Mine was actually on purpose. More stupidity than an accident.
Years back, I had bought a "cheap" inline muzzle loader, just so I could deer hunt an extra week. I hadn't had a chance to shoot it since the last season, had been a busy year. The evening before going hunting I decided to go ahead and get everything ready for the next morning, to save time. I decided to go ahead and load the rifle, so I took it out on my front porch to snap a cap to make sure the nipple was clear. Outside I spot a leaf on the edge of the porch(concrete). I pointed the muzzle at the leaf about 8" in front of my flipflop clad feet. I wanted to confirm that the flash channel was clear into the barrel by seeing the leaf move. Holding the rifle in one hand with the muzzle about 3" from the leaf, I pulled the trigger and BOOM! Well the leaf sure moved, in a cloud of smoke, and there was recoil! I was stunned for a second. There was a good sized chip out of the concrete where the leaf had been, and a big cloud of smoke slowly drifting away.
I hadn't fired it since the last time I'd been hunting with it the previous year. I'd intended to disassemble it to unload and clean it, and had never gotten around to it and forgot I'd left it loaded.
It was a blessing I didn't catch some shrapnel in my bare toes. The wife was rather unhappy with me too. But now there's a chip out of the porch and a good sized dent in the gutter to remind me to put the ramrod into the barrel to confirm a muzzle loader's barrel is empty before snapping a cap.
I got lucky, and learned a big lesson that I'll never forget.

osteodoc08
08-27-2019, 09:57 AM
I was probably 14 or 15 and went to take the butt of my shotgun and strike the squirrel I just shot that was still squirming. Gun went off when I struck the butt on the head of the squirrel. How it didn't hit me I don't know but thank God for watching over me that day. Never again will I do that.

Bazoo
08-27-2019, 10:05 AM
Two, once with a Henry golden boy. I had it pointed up while walking, I was playing with the hammer and it slipped off the safety knotch and the round fired.

Next, had an AK and it jammed. I was trying to figure it out and had turned around towards the neighbors. Pulled the trigger and let a round go. Thankfully it was pointed down and hit the ground about 15 yards out.

Got a friend that shot out the taillight on his car and shot my entertainment center. Both because he failed to check the chamber before dry firing.

With the car, We was plinking and using his trunk for a table. I fired and reloaded mommas single six. As I handed it to him I said "loaded". I turned back around and heard pop. I turned back and he said I thought you said it wasn't loaded. He didn't check and dry fired it and blew out his taillight.

With my entertainment center, he'd brought down a new pistol, a Jericho 9mm. I was in my chair and he was across from me on the couch. Well he was carrying it so it was loaded, half loaded as he had an empty chamber. So I handed it to me to inspect. I cleared it, played with it a while and returned it to him with an empty chamber but loads mag, same as he had given it to me. I'd been comparing it to my 1911, so I was looking down at my gun when an earth shattering kaboom was heard. I said what heck are you doing? He started apologizing and explaining. He said he didn't think it was loaded, he had racked the slide and a cartridge didn't come ok of the ejection port. He didn't verify visually or check the mag.

He is my only shooting buddy but is still unsafe. He had been in the navy and grew up with guns, and gets all bent if you suggest he needs a safety update. When we go shooting, he always leaves the safety off when he's done shooting, rarely action open. Often finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be. He's fidgety with guns. Been thinking about running him off but he's been a friend for 15 years and I'm friends with his son. He didn't get back into guns until 7-8 years ago. Not sure what to do so I'm real causious when he comes over. Since his AD in the house he's somewhat more careful in that he unloads his gun before coming in the house to show it off. On the range, I stay behind him and alert so I'm in realatively safety.

Mytmousemalibu
08-27-2019, 10:21 AM
When I was about 10-12 I neglected to heed the rule of firearms, always assume it is loaded. I was strolling back to the house after burning some 22LR down at the creek. I swore I had emptied the last magazine, the bolt locked back too. As I neared the house, I dropped the bolt and pulled the trigger..... Bang!

I was stunned, stopped dead in my tracks with shock! The round sailed off to the right, impacting the dirt in my moms garden, about 10-15ft from where she was working. I was grounded from shooting for a couple weeks, I was okay with that too.

MrWolf
08-27-2019, 10:51 AM
I was about 17 and went deer hunting for the first time. Wooded area, snow and ice and was in a small tree stand. Thinking about coming down and slipped. My shotgun went off and I near wet myself. Got back to the car and another guy asked if I got one as he heard the shot. Nope, not me. You get real careful after that.

osteodoc08
08-27-2019, 11:10 AM
I was at the shooting range a few weeks ago when one of our group started shooting at 300 yards. This is an F class, well placed, local shooter and always adheres to safety, even down to the empty chamber indicators. What went through his mind is beyond me. He likely was just looking through his scope and at 36x was having tunnel vision. He had just spoke to everyone and saw my 2 friends drive down range to place targets at 200 yards. He shoots suppressed and I heard a round go off and thought, certainly not, there are 2 people AND A VEHICLE downrange. I ran over to him yelling and cursing. Once he realized it, he started shaking uncontrollably and I could see him choke up. He apologized profusely and packed up his stuff and left. One of the 2 downrange was a Korea and Vietnam vet and shrugged it off. The other a Vietnam Pilot was slightly torqued so to speak. After everything had calmed down and the three of us were cold range we joked about running zig zag patterns downrange next time and we were gonna carry his bolt downrange with us next time he was out there with us. I haven't seen him at the range since.

megasupermagnum
08-27-2019, 11:38 AM
The only one I've had was shooting clays with a crusty old .410 shotgun that had not been used in a long time. I believe it was a mossberg bolt action. I shot at least a box of ammo until one time I closed the bolt and it fired on it's own. I was being safe that day, muzzle pointed in a good direction into the air. I never did figure out if the firing pin stuck, or some other problem, but I could not replicate it. The safety never worked, and I am certain I did not pull the trigger. I simply put it away, never to be fired again, and took the good reinforcement that I was doing something right.

mdi
08-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Since this is an anonymous forum, I'll confess, my absolute stupidity that went against all gun handling rules. I have a Puma in 44 Magnum. I was trying a new bullet (Ranch Dog 265 RNFP.) because I had been having feeding problems with another style. I had loaded a few with low-medium loads of Blue Dot and wouldn't be able to get to the range soon so I put a few in the magazine. Working in my shop (a Tuff Shed) with the gun on it's left side on my bench I fed a few rounds watching through the ejection port. Three fed OK, but the fourth fired when I closed the lever. The cast bullet (about 12 BHN) went through a 3/4" plywood wall, across a 4' gap into the back of my house (mobile home.). The exterior wall is 1/2 plywood covered by aluminum siding. The bullet went through the exterior wall and an interior wall into my closet, through 3 shirts, through a sliding door, through a corner of an interior door, through a wall, through a decorative folding screen, through another interior wall, through a 1/2 wooden plaque, through another 1/4" panel an embedded in a 2x4 edgewise about an inch deep. Wasn't loud at all and I went outside and saw the holes in the shed and the house wall. My stomach sunk and I got a bit nauseous. I ran inside and surveyed the damage. Thank God my wife wasn't home not only because she might have been hurt, but I just barely survived when I explained all the holes in the house and if she was home I surely would have been in extra deep sh*!...

I have made dummies before and since my major mind fart, but I was kinda in a hurry to see if the ammo fed properly. Since then , 10 years ago, no live ammo goes in any gun's chamber when I'm not at the range (I do have HD weapons with loaded magazines, but none chambered)....

Traffer
08-27-2019, 12:28 PM
OK, you asked for it:
At the age of 12 I dragged my mother down to Wards. I found a well balanced bolt action 410 single shot. I had hoped to buy a break action but they were too expensive. Got the bolt. Very nice shooting and handling gun. H O W E V E R There was one little flaw in it's design or build.
It had a thumb safety that went left and right in front of the bolt. The problem was that at about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way towards "safe" position it would "click" like it had clicked onto safe. NOT SO. It required going all the way over.
As I was very leary of this defect I developed a REALLY BAD HABIT of pointing the gun in a safe direction and trying to pull the trigger to "test" the safety.
Once hunting crows from my buddies 57 chev ...Loaded the gun in the car for a quick jump out an blast. (Illegal in Wisconsin) Hey I was 16 and broke a few laws OK?
Chambered a shell, clicked the safety, pulled the trigger BANG headliner was smoldering and a rather neat crowned hole through the top of the car. (just missed the dome light) .
Another time was even more near death.
Went hunting alone to a new place. Drove the car in an old path about 1/4 mile. Just enough that nobody could see the car from the road. Went out looking for rabbits. UNCONSCIOUSLY pulled that dam trigger as I was used to testing the safety. 2" from my right foot, again BANG. Had it hit my foot I would have probably bled to death there and they wouldn't have found my body for weeks.
Gave the gun to my brother many years ago. He was going to give it to his young nephew. I had to stop him and WARN him about that damn safety. Nobody uses that gun now.

Rizzo
08-27-2019, 12:49 PM
I had just received my new digital trigger pull gauge and was so excited to test it out.
So, I grabbed my Ruger SP101 357 mag revolver and headed for the garage to test it.

Yep, you guessed it, the gun was loaded.
In my excitement I had failed to check it empty.
BAM!!, it scared the heck out of me and I immediately felt that sickening, nausea feeling.

Fortunately the bullet exited through the garage wall into a tree outside.

I hate screwing up but have come to realize that incidents like that burn in your brain such that it is unlikely to occur again.

Thanks to all who have shared their stories.

Lakehouse2012
08-27-2019, 01:03 PM
I had just received my new digital trigger pull gauge and was so excited to test it out.
So, I grabbed my Ruger SP101 357 mag revolver and headed for the garage to test it.

Yep, you guessed it, the gun was loaded.
In my excitement I had failed to check it empty.
BAM!!, it scared the heck out of me and I immediately felt that sickening, nausea feeling.

Fortunately the bullet exited through the garage wall into a tree outside.

I hate screwing up but have come to realize that incidents like that burn in your brain such that it is unlikely to occur again.

Thanks to all who have shared their stories.Did you get a read from your new scale at least?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Texas by God
08-27-2019, 01:35 PM
When dry firing becomes wet firing as in wet your pants? One of my shop Windows has a little 6 millimeter hole in it from testing the trigger pull on a loaded firearm!
After drilling gun safety into my children's heads when they were growing up, they sure get a lot of mileage out of this mishap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dondiego
08-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Don't ever dry fire if two firearms are in the same room. It ruins TV's.

marek313
08-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Don't ever dry fire if two firearms are in the same room. It ruins TV's.

I heard that if you dry fire it too much you go blind :bigsmyl2:

Sig556r
08-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Since this is an anonymous forum, I'll confess, ....

Big brother is always snooping...just not sure which one.

Wayne Smith
08-27-2019, 03:26 PM
Right now my current experience is my flintlock with a double set trigger. It is set so light that I've frequently fired it before I intended which qualifies. Same thing with a Martini Model 3 22 that has a very light trigger. I tell people to just think about pulling the trigger and it will go off. Since my stupidity was back when I was a grad student I'll leave that alone.

John McCorkle
08-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Oh all this just reinforces the cringe factor (read healthy respectful fear) of firearms and a renewed humility that "yes I am capable of making that mistake too"

By grace I have never had a ND but, it's not because I'm just too aware or practiced...and it's good for me to remember just how easy it is to be proud and think "it could never happen to me". Oh, it could absolutely happen to me....and this is a good thread to read and remember that many men way more experienced and mindful than me have made this mistake- I can too if I'm not always careful...always always always check!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

fredj338
08-27-2019, 05:54 PM
The title should be changed to negligent, there are very few true accidental discharges. Knock on wood, in more than 400K rds downrange in 40y, never.

sigep1764
08-27-2019, 06:31 PM
I was still living single with the current fiance as a girlfriend in her own house and I in my own. I was just back from a range trip and dismantling guns en masse as was my practice. (I have now adopted the one gun check, disassemble, and clean philosophy). It was a Kahr C9 9mm single stack pistol. I dropped the mag and mistakenly thought that I hadn't reloaded it when I was done at the range. I pulled the take down pin and pulled the trigger. (The proper procedure is to drop the mag, check the chamber, drop the slide, pull the trigger, pull the slide stop, and slide the slide off). BANG!!! I did not check the chamber. ****ing idiot. It was pointed down and away towards the wood floor. At first I thot a pop can exploded in the freezer but quickly realized as my below me neighbor (I live in an apartment) knocked on my door that the gun had fired. He was extremely nice about it. The boolit, an Accurate 358-120B, had gone through the floor (his ceiling), and landed neatly on top of his stereo speaker. He wanted nothing to do with the landlord, let alone the police. I patched the wood floor, and he patched his ceiling. He was arrested 4 weeks later for drugs. I was extremely lucky no one was injured and the boolit was pointed in a good direction. I was also lucky in his discretion. I now pull the magazine or bolt, check the chamber, and proceed as is necessary per gun, one at a time.

I also subscribe to the term Negligible Discharge. My experience was due to Negligence. Not inexperience, not ignorance, etc. It was an oversight of safety. It was entirely my fault, my process, my carelessness. Now that I have experienced it, I have high doubts that this will ever happen again.

Bazoo
08-27-2019, 07:12 PM
I check a firearm, any firearm every time I handle it. The only exception is my carry gun, I don't have to check it as it's always loaded. It goes from holster to nightstand and back, with muzzle awareness always.

My buddy once lent me his Ruger SBH 44 mag. I didn't load 44 or have any cartridges in the house at all. But I still checked it every time I picked it up.

popper
08-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Had an old single shot 22 given to me as a kid. Load the round, close the bolt, pull back on the firing pin knob, make sure it caught the annular groove in the firing pin before you release the nob. After a few 'I didn't pull the trigger' events, don't use anymore. Kinda the first 'striker' fired guns? Oh, yea AR10 with shoulder not pushed back far enough! Pointed at the ground and dropped the bolt. Big chunk of concrete gone. Had all kinda people on forums telling me it can't happen, bad gun, etc.

jimb16
08-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Mine was on the shotgun range. Somehow a piece of shot managed to get itself into the action and prevented the sear from fully engaging. When I closed the action, the shotgun fired. But since I had it pointed down range (safe direction) no harm done. It left the range immediately to be disassembled and fixed!

Texas by God
08-27-2019, 07:32 PM
A friend was explaining to his girlfriend about the grip safety, the thumb safety, and the magazine safety on my FN1922 .32 auto. He then proceeded to cripple my coffee table by shooting it in the leg. I was in the bathroom at the time. This man was a Veteran and competition shooter- a very apologetic and remorseful man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mica_Hiebert
08-27-2019, 09:31 PM
My closest was a not really an accident more negligent and a definite learning experience! It taught me alot! I was probably about 14 and I had an adult family friend I went bird hunting with several times a week. I kept my shotgun out in the shop and I religiously unloaded it every day when done hunting. I used to casually grab it and cycle the action and dry fire it usualy practicing my swing and lead on passing pigeons etc. One day I did it and swung it on my bird dog and when I racked the slide it sounded different, I paused and pointed it at a fence post instesd and Bang! Aparently I hadnt unloaded it the last time I had gone hunting. I had 2 rules of gun safety burned into my head that day! Treat every gun as if it where loaded and never point a firearm at any thing you dont intend to destroy. Stupid juvenile stunt almost cost me my bird dog who I loved and had trained for 2 years.

44Blam
08-28-2019, 01:41 AM
I've got a CZ52 that had the firing pin worn and also the sear the blocks the hammer worn.
If you had a round in the chamber and decocked the gun it would fire about 20% of the time. We tested it...
I eventually replaced both the firing pin and the sear and the gun is "safe" (or as safe as an eastern block firearm can be). But one day in a competition, I accidentally decocked the gun in my holster because the RO asked me to make sure the safety was on... I flipped the safety and then it decocked - I about crapped my pants... Did not go off though.

David2011
08-28-2019, 02:32 AM
I can confess to an accidental discharge and a negligent discharge. I bought a high end competition pistol that was slightly used, supposed to have had about 600 round run through it. At a Tuesday night PPC match I racked the slide at the "load and make ready" command and the gun fired. I know my finger was clear of the trigger. The boolit hit the ground safely about 15 feet down range. The hammer followed the slide and I was able to replicate it many times after I got home. A new trigger job fixed it and it has not happened again in 90,000 rounds.

The other time it was clearly my fault. I was in a hunting blind on a cold day, wearing gloves. When loading the rifle I closed the bolt with an open palm and my finger hit the trigger. Fortunately it was pointed in a safe direction but it was still very upsetting. I'm a state certified Hunter Ed instructor and that should never have happened after all the safety rules I've preached to countless students. It's a reminder that humans are fallible.

303Guy
08-28-2019, 04:44 AM
Mine was closing the bolt on a chambered round with the trigger depressed on a Lee Enfield with a striker mounted safety. That's a heavy striker. The gun was pointed in a safe direction so no harm done. It was a very light load so ears didn't get hurt either.

Burnt Fingers
08-28-2019, 10:26 AM
I'm 59, I've been shooting since I was 10 years old. I've never had a ND.

Rizzo
08-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Did you get a read from your new scale at least?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
LOL
Yes, with the recoil I measured 23 pounds!
Just kidding.

Land Owner
08-28-2019, 02:08 PM
To OP - nope, not once, and not yet with a dozen-dozen adolescents, adults, friends, family, and me with hundreds of guns times thousands of rounds through 30-years of hunting/shooting/range property ownership. Just "lucky" I guess. Started late in life in land ownership and this hobby. Had the right NRA-Life Mentor too. DRILLED me and us in SAFETY first, fun last (when the brain checks out).

Everybody goes home safe today. Any "monkey business" stays outside of the gate - NO EXCEPTIONS. Had to call a few kids (mine too) on this a time or two. Sit their butts down for a safety chat (that or GO HOME and DON'T COME BACK). Ask them if they want to see their buddies brains and blood all over the bench? Spell it out for them in no uncertain terms. Has a chilling effect on doinking around at the bench.

Shooting is SERIOUS business and it will not be taken lightly! After safety comes the fun...with safety always in the forefront of a good time was had by all.

robg
08-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Haven't had one ,I hope I never will .if I'm with people who don't know what they are doing I'll explain safety to them if they don't take any notice I either leave or if I'm at the range where I'm an rco they will be told to leave in no uncertain terms .

Arkansas Paul
08-28-2019, 04:50 PM
I had an ND a long time ago when I was young and dumb (18 I think).
I had a Ruger MKII in my front pants pocket and went to pull it out with my finger in the trigger guard.
Bang!
The bullet went out my pants leg near the knee and into the floor, about 3 inches from my foot.
I felt a burning along my leg, and thought I had shot myself at first.
I dropped my pants and there was a thin red line down the front of my right thigh.

Walks
08-28-2019, 05:55 PM
I had My AD at 20yrs old. I was still in the Navy and had picked a NM Blackhawk in NC just before My transfer to Naval Station - Long Beach, CA. Drove all the way by myself. Picked up a Fast Draw Rig as I passed through TX.

My Mom lived in Long Beach too, which made it really cool. I dropped all My extra Stuff off in my old bedrooms closet. Hung up the holstered unloaded Blackhawk on a hook in the closet.
Reported in. Got a 24hr Pass a week later. Drove to Mom's, She wasn't home.
Great time to practice My Fast Draw. Belted on the rig and tied it down. Took up position opposite the BIG Mirror in the Living Room.
Do I need to say more.

Took the Mirror out to a glass place. Three hours later, I picked up some spackle and a new paint brush. The bullet, a 110gr JHP had stopped, in the wall. Just sticking it's nose out the wall.
Sweep, Sweep, Patch, Patch, Paint, Paint.
Left Mom's closet door open. Ran Hairdryer over patch, paint. Bit smelly. Left all Windows open.

Mom didn't come home until late. Found out my Sister's first husband had been there right after I left for the base.

Never picked up a gun without checking to see if it was loaded since.

She divorced that idiot about 5 years later.
Which was about 8yrs too long for Me & My
Dad.

megasupermagnum
08-28-2019, 06:59 PM
I had My AD at 20yrs old. I was still in the Navy and had picked a NM Blackhawk in NC just before My transfer to Naval Station - Long Beach, CA. Drove all the way by myself. Picked up a Fast Draw Rig as I passed through TX.

My Mom lived in Long Beach too, which made it really cool. I dropped all My extra Stuff off in my old bedrooms closet. Hung up the holstered unloaded Blackhawk on a hook in the closet.
Reported in. Got a 24hr Pass a week later. Drove to Mom's, She wasn't home.
Great time to practice My Fast Draw. Belted on the rig and tied it down. Took up position opposite the BIG Mirror in the Living Room.
Do I need to say more.

Took the Mirror out to a glass place. Three hours later, I picked up some spackle and a new paint brush. The bullet, a 110gr JHP had stopped, in the wall. Just sticking it's nose out the wall.
Sweep, Sweep, Patch, Patch, Paint, Paint.
Left Mom's closet door open. Ran Hairdryer over patch, paint. Bit smelly. Left all Windows open.

Mom didn't come home until late. Found out my Sister's first husband had been there right after I left for the base.

Never picked up a gun without checking to see if it was loaded since.

She divorced that idiot about 5 years later.
Which was about 8yrs too long for Me & My
Dad.

I too always check to make sure they are unloaded. I took the Elmer Keith approach, most of my guns are always loaded, and are treated as such.

labradigger1
08-28-2019, 07:26 PM
Twice,
Running down the hallway loading a Rossi 1890 copy in 22lr with ratshot 30 years ago. Closed the bolt and bang. No injuries, only dumbfounded.
Second time. Got out of old cj5 to go muzzleloader hunting. It was pouring the rain down so I stuck the gun inside the Jeep to place a primer to the inline nipple so it wouldn’t get wet. When closing the bolt the handle slipped off my wet pinky. My ears rang for days, Jeep stank of sulfur for weeks. Impact was in the seat frame of passenger seat. The steel frame stopped it.

Don1357
08-28-2019, 11:48 PM
This is not my story but I think y’all will agree it is worth telling.

Buddy of mine, second Iraq war. He’s sitting on his Humvee with his squat leader waiting to come inside the wire. In front of them is a lieutenant from some reserve unit. The Lt. goes to clear his weapon on the clearing trap by pulling the slider (bullet goes flying out of the side), pointing it into the clearing trap, and BAG! The thing goes off. He looks all sorts of baffled and confused but without wasting time he pulls the slider again (bullet comes off the side), release, points at the clearing trap, and BAG! Another round goes off. He manages to do this three stooges routine one more time before my buddy’s squat leader manages to get out of the Humvee, twist the Lt’s arm an yanks the pistol away, _removes_ the magazine, pulls and locks the slider, shoves the weapon into the Lt’s face and says “See? No bullet!” and slams it on his chest while saying ‘try it now, Sir…’

glaciers
08-29-2019, 01:54 AM
Well it wasn't me, it was my Father.
In 1964 my Father took me hunting, I was 12 and we lived in Colorado. We had a Nissan Datson Patrol, 4 wheel drive our family used for a hunting/camping rig. Pretty stout rig, much like the early Toyota Land Cruiser. The Nissan was a very basic vehicle, you know, no radio, no dome light, or head liner, and barely a heater. So off we went.
We were driving a trail when Pop sees a small batch of deer with a buck bring up the rear about 150 yards out. Well they were moving along about to crest a hill when Pop stops, gets out and lets go with his new Remington 7mm Mag just as that buck tops the hill and heads down the other side. Looked like a clean miss. Well he jumps back in the Nissan and jams the Remington muzzle down right next to my feet. BANG!!! Damn that was loud in that tin can of a vehicle. Shaking off the concussion, my Father was standing outside of the rig with the door open yelling at me, asking if I'm hurt. Well after the second time asking he said "Are you hurt because if your not I want to go after those deer". So off we went over the hill and down the other side, the deer were nowhere to be found. After the shot they shifted into high gear and left the county. Well realizing that the deer where gone and I was OK, we accessed the damage to the drive-able beer can we were in. There wasn't any carpet, headliner, or upholstery on doors or anywhere except a little naugahyde sparingly put over the springs of the seats, which were one step above a wooden chairs.
Well Pop looks back at the crest of the hill, and there was the buck piled up neat as you please. He ended up being a good sized Mule deer, but, only had 2 points on one side and three on the other. The antlers were also very thick at the base. Anyway got him dress out and pulled up to the roof and secured. After all that work and excitement we stopped at a restaurant when we got out of the hills. We were eating when a Game Warded walked in and asked rather loudly who had the buck on top of the Jeep. My Father volunteered that it just might be his. The GW walked over to our table and said: "that buck was so old that we would not be able to get a fork in his gravy". Well after figuring out that we were not going to be cited, we had a good laugh with the Warden.

Well that 7mm went off about 2 or 3 inches from my foot, I was one lucky kid. But a little hard of hearing for a while.

David2011
08-29-2019, 02:47 AM
This conversation came up among a bunch of USPSA shooters I knew several years ago. Almost every one admitted to an AD/ND, mostly at their homes. Some are names that USPSA shooters would recognize. I have no first-hand knowledge but have read that "The Great One," Rob Leatham, has shot himself. Twice.

These are people that shoot a LOT. Could it be that their familiarity and some shooting day-in, day-out 100,000 rounds/year or more makes them too comfortable with their firearms?

Guys, don't be too smug over never having had AD. Mine was a mechanical problem, as I wrote earlier in this thread. Apparently several others were mechanically induced as well. It can happen to anyone.

Bazoo
08-29-2019, 04:07 AM
I am very comfortable with firearms, especially mine and models I've owned previously. I think the thing is not only making safety a habit, but thinking about it too. I often think to myself, or even say watch your muzzle, and safety on.

Occasionally I've muzzled the wife or her me, and we call each other and ourselves on it. We try hard to be safe.

Thanks to all those that have responded. Ive enjoyed reading this thread. It's a good reminder to keep the safety awareness up.

charlie3tuna
08-29-2019, 05:14 AM
When I was 5 or 6 years old my father brought home a single shot 22 bolt action rifle and box of ammo. To make it safe, he took the bolt out and the action from the stock. Everything was put up high in the kitchen where I couldn't get it.

The next day while mom was hanging laundry in the yard, I got it. Reassembled the gun, chambered a round, and fired it out the door. Mom said she heard something 'zing' past her.

Now I don't really remember any of this, but my parents told me about it for several years.
Just saying....charlie

StratsMan
08-29-2019, 01:29 PM
I had a learning experience about 20 years ago after buying a surplus SKS. I saw there was cosmoline in the barrel, so I ran a patch through it a few times so I could see bore and grooves and headed to the range. Got the gun on a rest at the table, pointed downrange, and bolt locked open. Waited until after a cease fire and loaded a round in the chamber with an empty magazine. (I like to load just one when I shoot a gun for the first time...) Pulled the bolt to release it and BANG! My fingers weren't even near the trigger.

Silly me; I was too excited to get on with shooting and didn't look for cosmoline in the bolt. Turns out, it was chocked full of the old stuff with the firing pin all the way forward and protruding to set off the primer; like firing an open bolt gun. I was very glad there was only one round in it, as it might have emptied the magazine.

WheelgunConvert
08-29-2019, 07:37 PM
One girl ... in the backseat of my 1968 Chevelle at the drive in movies .

The second , a boy , was " planned" 6 years later.

Gary

Tiger Drive in on Airline?

nelsonted1
08-29-2019, 08:22 PM
My nephew was sitting in the living room with his room mate. The idiot decided to dry fire his 50 bmg bolt action. He got down on the no pod, aimed and snapped.off a cap. Boom! Chris said the poor.German shepherd howled.for three hours. Chris.stayed outraged for.months. The bullet tore out a chunk of the French door and sailed.into town. They raced down to the lumberyard.and found a new.door. They installed the door.faster than he'd ever done it before.

Tom W.
08-29-2019, 09:49 PM
My youngest son and his buddy were going hunting one morning and his buddy put his rifle into the truck muzzle down. When my son got into the truck there was a loud boom and blood started to come out of the transmission and all over the driveway.......

Another fellow that I quit hunting with had come to the neighbor's house and started to unload his 30/30 by cycling each round through the chamber, until one managed to go off to who knows where....

As for me, the worse thing that happened is an occasional double tap at the range that I wasn't expecting., And that's with my LC9S Pro. So far my CZ 75 SP01 has been pretty well behaved. I have to deal with neuropathy and sometimes I just don't get a good trigger feel.

trails4u
08-29-2019, 10:06 PM
I am very comfortable with firearms, especially mine and models I've owned previously. I think the thing is not only making safety a habit, but thinking about it too. I often think to myself, or even say watch your muzzle, and safety on.

Occasionally I've muzzled the wife or her me, and we call each other and ourselves on it. We try hard to be safe.

Thanks to all those that have responded. Ive enjoyed reading this thread. It's a good reminder to keep the safety awareness up.

I like that ya'll call it when muzzled. We practice the same thing, and it's interesting when everyone is looking for it and empowered to call it. I think there's value in realizing that perspective from the muzzle end might be different than yours from the stock end. We do it even when cleaning, tearing down, bolt out, etc., etc... It really burns the concept in for the youngsters. ….and for full disclosure, yeah, they've called me a time or three.

WRideout
08-30-2019, 07:53 AM
About twenty-five years ago, I was squirrel hunting in TN with my wife's 20 ga. over under. It was a nice gun, marked Savage but made in Finland. Something had gone wrong with the safety, but I unwisely decided to go ahead and use it. Out in the woods, I opened the action and put in two shells. Upon closing, the gun fired the upper barrel into the ground, and ended my hunting for that day. Never shot it again.

Wayne

Land Owner
08-31-2019, 09:38 AM
While duck hunting, one of the hunters went armed into the deeks to retrieve his duck. He turned toward the blind, got his feet tangled in the decoy lines, stumbled, and FIRED his shotgun in our direction - right over our heads!!! No one was shot. I wanted to pick up, pack up, take my son and I, and leave right then and there. My best friend and life-long duck hunting partner asked me to stay. The hunter put his gun away. We were so VERY lucky that day. I remember it as if it happened this morning.

flyingmonkey35
08-31-2019, 10:22 AM
I have been next to two.

1. I was down range as the RSO giving a safety briefing for a black powder shoot.

Some one came up to the line to clear the cap. And kaboom.

I sent him home.

2. Talking to a buddy at the range and admiring his 22. Which he swore was unloaded. He pulled the trigger and off it went. Thank god it was pointed down range. I still give him hell.

Never check to see if the gun is unloaded by pulling the ttigger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DiverJay
08-31-2019, 10:25 AM
50+ years of shooting. 23 years as an LEO. Never had an accidental discharge in my life. Follow the rules of safety and accidental discharges are the thing of unicorns.

jmort
08-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Seems like some might want to choose the member name Titanic
Love the never, never-ever, I be perfect....

Don1357
08-31-2019, 12:59 PM
I had any accidental discharge but I don't quite consider it negligent.

We have a public range that in the early mornings it is empty most of the time. I went one morning to practice drawing and shooting my .44, the rationale is that no matter how good I got at carefully aiming and shooting it, if that ill fated day came where a bear or moose was charging I had 0 muscle memory on drawing and firing. For starters I learned that my holster needed some serious adjustments, it wasn't stable enough to draw fast. Then I drilled on draw; cock hammer, aim, shot. That went fairly well if the bear was big enough of a target... Then I discovered that apparently I can walk and chew gum at the same time but I can't walk, draw, and shot at the same time; a round went off about six feet in front of me.

All in all a very enlightening experience. Heck I need to do that on a regular basis. Not the trying to blow my toes but that sort of practice.

BigBore45
08-31-2019, 11:14 PM
Closest I got was I loaded 3 rounds in a friend's sks that had sit in his farm truck for a long time. Anyways jacked the slide and low and behold the firing pin rusted solid in the out position. She went full out. Luckily I had it pointed safely down range like your supposed too. Nothing hurt but some ground and maybe a tree.

Only thing I've had happen to me luckily.

Walks
09-02-2019, 04:57 PM
When I had My AD, it was in a house lived in by only My Mother.
I wouldn't have expected someone to come along and take My Revolver from it's holster rig, leave the .38Spl RN loads in the belt loops and load the Revolver with .357Mag JHP's from an ammo can in the Other Half of the Closet.

However it taught me a Severe Lesson.
Check The Blasted Gun EVERY Time you pick it up.
The next time I saw my brother-in-law I told him "IF you EVER TOUCH ONE OF MY GUNS AGAIN, I'LL BUST IT OVER your head".

My sister didn't appreciate it, but I didn't care.

MN91311
09-02-2019, 07:10 PM
When I was about 18, 55 years ago, we had some pigeons (flying s*i*h*u*e*) that kept raiding the bird feeder we had in the back yard for the smaller birds. We chased them, but they always came back. Made a mess, and too lazy to go find food away from people, I guess. I was sneaking up on them with my Sears JC Higgins .22 bolt rifle. (Made by Marlin, I later found out.) I still have the rifle. I was holding the rifle pointing down, with my finger on the trigger. (Didn't realize it at the time; dumb, I know.) Got distracted by something, and the rifle went off, using regular lead bullet. Into the ground just inches from my right foot. Wow. That ended my shooting day in a hurry. After that, I used a Havahart live trap to get rid of them.

dogrunner
09-03-2019, 01:38 PM
My take is that you can rest on your laurels of never having an AD......call it NG if you wish.......all you will, but in my book there're two kinds of shooters...those that haven't experienced it yet ...........and those that will.

I have done it and scared myself.......I've been there when it happened and was even more scared!

I managed to blow a neat .357 diameter hole in the access door to a municipal jail facility........I was in a dispatch area after working a nasty vehicular accident and wound up having to wade thru a muddy canal in a rainstorm.........when that was over I went back to my station to change. Found that my new model 19 was sitting in about an inch of muddy wet crap in my Jordan BP holster......I was in a dispatch area and asked for some tissue to wipe it down with and during the wipedown I some how stroked that DA trigger enough to cycle the gun.....how, I dunno. At the least my lifelong training of never pointing the damn thing stuck and it only killed that door.....dead center thru a limited access sign attached thereto..............I also noted that my dispatcher reflexibly fell over backward in his chair!

Embarressed the hell out of me.....called my Lt. and he just chuckled and said something about that was kinda loud, right? Adding that I....me the rookie....would have to come in and explain it to our Chief........

That was not a nice thing....never did anything like that again, I assure you!

The other, and scary as hell incident, involved a night fire exercise while in the army.......groups were ran thru exercise at squad level and then regrouped in a staging area.....As is not unusual there was a lot of 'horsing around' following and some fool managed to touch off a live round from h is Garand in that tightly grouped bunch............dead silence, followed by every NCO present screaming get that rifle in the air, and individually checked by them...............Can't imagine just how many an AP round would've penetrated in that mix!

FerricOxide
09-03-2019, 09:22 PM
The only one I've had was shooting clays with a crusty old .410 shotgun that had not been used in a long time. I believe it was a mossberg bolt action. I shot at least a box of ammo until one time I closed the bolt and it fired on it's own. I was being safe that day, muzzle pointed in a good direction into the air. I never did figure out if the firing pin stuck, or some other problem, but I could not replicate it. The safety never worked, and I am certain I did not pull the trigger. I simply put it away, never to be fired again, and took the good reinforcement that I was doing something right.

My grandpop had a mossberg bolt action in 20ga that decided it liked firing when the bolt was locked closed, long ago. He put it away and never used it again. I inherited it, I've tried to make it drop the striker without the trigger but I have yet to have it do it again. never ran a shell though it because I just don't think I could trust it. The only thing I've noticed is the sear engagement area on the striker is pretty soft steel and is quite worn and damaged, so it might just slip off when handled some specific way.

He also had a Montgomery wards branded 16ga bolt gun. No negligent discharges but it's safety doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and it's probably the worst built, handling shotgun I've ever used. Only saveing grace with the terrible safety is that the trigger has, i'm not exaggerating, 3/8" of creep before it does anything and a 12lb pull. I've only used it on the clays range to burn though old 16ga shells I had.

Imo, those old bolt action shotguns seem to have been shoddily made and arn't worth anything side from gunsafe curiosities.

Burnt Fingers
09-04-2019, 10:38 AM
My take is that you can rest on your laurels of never having an AD......call it NG if you wish.......all you will, but in my book there're two kinds of shooters...those that haven't experienced it yet ...........and those that will.

I have done it and scared myself.......I've been there when it happened and was even more scared!

Millions of gun owners will NEVER have a ND/AD. Keep your head screwed on, follow the four rules and you won't have a ND.

David2011
09-05-2019, 01:21 AM
Millions of gun owners will NEVER have a ND/AD. Keep your head screwed on, follow the four rules and you won't have a ND.

Are you splitting hairs between AD and ND? I only ask because they are not the same thing. An AD can be due to a mechanical failure. I knew someone that had the nose of the sear break off in a 1911 with a full magazine. I have had a floating firing pin stick in the forward position due to a burr on the firing pin in a Ruger Mk I. Man, do they shoot fast when that happens. It just felt like a vibration. Funny thing is that it was in the middle of a magazine; not the first round fired. I had the hammer follow the slide on a new high end custom USPSA pistol. It had less than 1000 rounds through it when that happened. Both of my incidents happened on guns that had never been disassembled since they left the manufacturers.

You can follow the four rules or the ten rules and still have something break. If you're following those rules nobody will get hurt.

OTOH, I was at a pistol match where someone had a failure to fire in a revolver. After he shot the stop plate he pulled the trigger to run the dud round through again but failed to point the muzzle down. The RO didn't stop him fast enough. He had a deliberate and negligent discharge right over the berm into a populated area. There were no reports of someone being shot. He was very stupid and very lucky.

slim1836
09-05-2019, 03:00 AM
Never had an accidental discharge in 54 years (I’m 66) of firearm ownership. I count my blessings.

Now watch me have one dove hunting Saturday. Lord help me make it through the day.

Slim

lightman
09-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Mine was a Remington 700. I got to my deer stand early one morning in the dark, got settled in, closed the bolt to load a round and it went off. I'm positive that I was not on the trigger. I can't blame the trigger. I had just returned from a hunt in Wyoming and everything that I owned was covered in red dirt or dust. I went back to camp, took the trigger and bolt out and washed them out with solvent, and was never able to get it to do that again. For the record, I had the muzzle pointed up and out of the stand when this happened. Also for the record, and somewhat besides the point, most of my Remingtons are wearing a Jewell trigger nowadays.

This is not intended to slight Remington or to rekindle the old Remington trigger debate.

Burnt Fingers
09-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Are you splitting hairs between AD and ND? I only ask because they are not the same thing. An AD can be due to a mechanical failure. I knew someone that had the nose of the sear break off in a 1911 with a full magazine. I have had a floating firing pin stick in the forward position due to a burr on the firing pin in a Ruger Mk I. Man, do they shoot fast when that happens. It just felt like a vibration. Funny thing is that it was in the middle of a magazine; not the first round fired. I had the hammer follow the slide on a new high end custom USPSA pistol. It had less than 1000 rounds through it when that happened. Both of my incidents happened on guns that had never been disassembled since they left the manufacturers.

You can follow the four rules or the ten rules and still have something break. If you're following those rules nobody will get hurt.

OTOH, I was at a pistol match where someone had a failure to fire in a revolver. After he shot the stop plate he pulled the trigger to run the dud round through again but failed to point the muzzle down. The RO didn't stop him fast enough. He had a deliberate and negligent discharge right over the berm into a populated area. There were no reports of someone being shot. He was very stupid and very lucky.

Take your time and read what I wrote. There's no way to prevent an AD due to equipment failure. However it's very easy to avoid a ND.

People who say there are only those that have and those who haven't YET are trying to massage their bruised ego. Millions of gun owner will NEVER have a ND.

mjwcaster
09-05-2019, 10:01 PM
I check a firearm, any firearm every time I handle it. The only exception is my carry gun, I don't have to check it as it's always loaded. It goes from holster to nightstand and back, with muzzle awareness always.

up.

I used to know my carry gun in its holster was always loaded and stopped press-checking it.

Until on day in the Wendy’s drive through I asked my daughter to check her door for some change.
She said theres no change but there is this, holding up a 380 cartridge.
And there were 7 more in the door.

A day or two before in class I unloaded my 380 to use in the classroom, and then just put it in its sticky holster and pocketed it.

I also had a Glock on my hip from the range portion of class.
I reloaded the Glock before leaving, but not the 380.

After that I always check my carry gun every time I pick it up.
Press check for loaded chamber
Drop mag and check that’s it’s full
Insert mag and pull on it to verify its seated correctly.
Quick inspection of pins/levers whatever can come loose. And for general condition, dirt/filth.

So I now inspect guns EVERY time I pick them up, either to confirm they are unloaded or loaded and ready to use.

I am also paranoid about dry firing, I will clear the gun before starting, then take aim and then press check one last time before pulling the trigger.
If it has been more than a few moments since it was checked I will check it again before pulling the trigger.

Only takes a fraction of a second to check it vs a lifetime of regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjwcaster
09-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Since the SKS has come up a few times I will share my buddies story, I wasn’t there for this adventure.

It was during the time of $89-$99 SKSs and <$100 cases of surplus ammo.

My buddy had the first one in the group/family, everyone laughed at that commie junk.
Until they shot it and found out the price, then many of them bought one or two for a truck/tractor gun.

I don’t remember who’s gun it was, but it was the latest purchase.
The boys were out hunting and the SKS locked up somehow.

So mistake #2 was my buddy trying to clear it in the backseat of the truck.

Mistake #1 was not being familiar with the gun,
nor familiar with semi auto rifles
and definitely not familiar with cosmoline soaked surplus.

The muzzle was pointed forward, between the 2 front seats

My best guess is that he somehow got it to slamfire, with the firing pin stuck forward.

The boys had to head back into town for fresh drawers and a new windshield.

Although trying to clear it in the truck was stupid at least the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction.

Not sure what ever happened to that gun, I never saw it.

Bazoo
09-06-2019, 12:55 AM
I check my carry for loaded occasionally, but not normally when I grab it in the morning. I often inspect it for loaded, rust/dirt when I walk the dogs first time though.

303Guy
09-06-2019, 02:03 AM
2. Talking to a buddy at the range and admiring his 22. Which he swore was unloaded. He pulled the trigger and off it went. Thank god it was pointed down range. I still give him hell.

Never check to see if the gun is unloaded by pulling the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
But it was unloaded! After he pulled the trigger. [smilie=1:

Ja! All guns are always loaded. And we all make mistakes. Guns are damned dangerous and should be treated with the utmost respect at all times - and may I never forget that!

Bagdadjoe
09-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Not mine...but interesting..
My friends friend had an original M10 .45 back in the day he was gigging around on trying to make it full auto. He had a full mag in it and let the bolt go...in his mom's garage. Open bolt. Emptied the 30 rd. mag in 2.1 seconds...up the side of his mommas Lincoln, the deep freeze, garage wall and ceiling.
Success!!

303Guy
09-08-2019, 04:22 AM
I just remembered my 22 Remington going off uninvited. I was aiming it but waiting for the other fellow to fire first when it went off. I thought I had touched the trigger but then it happened again as I closed the bolt - also pointing downrange. I replaced the trigger and sear.

I have one or two Lee Enfields with modified sears that could go off uninvited. Those bolts don't get used but I am reminded to correct them before they get accidently used. These are the old single stage triggers that someone wanted to lighten the trigger pull on. Very dangerous practice.

davek8s
09-08-2019, 09:39 AM
My friends brother let a 12 gauge slug go off into the ceiling. His dad left the hole in ceiling for decades as a reminder.

I heard the hole was patched a few years ago.

Char-Gar
09-08-2019, 02:38 PM
Not gonna do it! I don't confess to a priest, so I am not going to confess here.

Drew P
09-09-2019, 02:03 PM
My only loaded gun at home is a 12ga pump, which I keep empty chamber. Well, while I was gone one day my gf decided to play with it, pumping the action “because it sounds cool”. Then she ventilated my floor with a rather large hole. Brand new carpet too lol.

That wasn’t the first time an AD in my house either. Years earlier a buddy was fixing my plumbing under the sink, and he removed his CCW, a little 22lr pistol, and set it on the table. Along comes my house mate who fumbles around with it until it fired in the living room. About a year later I actually found the bullet! Just laying on the carpet. I kept the case and bullet in a jar so I could embarrass him at any time.

marek313
09-09-2019, 03:32 PM
I havent had any ADs or NDs yet but some of my friends havent been so lucky but those arent my mistakes to talk about.

I did have some close calls though. I was shopping for revolver some time back and when I went to check out my friends S&W he pulled it out and unloaded it in front of me and handed it to me. After looking it over I started to play with the trigger still while pointed down between my legs so it was safe (not perfect but safe) where I was sitting. Last second I decided to give it a double check to make sure its clear even though I watched him empty it and guess what there was a 357 round left sitting in the cylinder. Wasnt indexed to fire on next trigger pull and was pointed in safe direction but still gave me that sick feeling :oops:

Now I shoot a lot more and started doing some local tournaments so safety has been my priority. I do dry fire some of my guns but now no matter where I am at its the same as my range: mag out, clear, clear (my ocd kicking in), visual check, point in safe direction, drop the hammer/striker then I consider it safe but never before that.

I havent been shooting for decades as many here are so when I first started I took my ex and we both took the NRA basic safety class more for her comfort then mine but still it was very good class. I think learning correct safety procedures is never a bad thing and could potentially prevent many of the NDs we see.

skrapyard628
09-09-2019, 04:24 PM
The closest I have come to an ND was an user induced "double". I had just finished installing a CGW short reset kit into a SP01. Took the gun out to give it a test at my girlfriends dads property. First shot was right on target, second went over the berm...oh crap! I was so used to prepping the trigger slightly while coming back on target and the new reset kit definitely did its job and shortened up that reset. Over the berm its about a mile and a half through a cornfield until the next road and I assume that 124gr 9mm bullet may have only destroyed some feed corn when it came down. Even though it may have been relatively safe I still had quite a bit of butt pucker when it happened and felt guilty for a good amount of time.

There was an experience of an ND in my home once but I didnt pull the trigger on that one. I used to keep a loaded 12ga Mossberg in my room as my home defense gun. I had a roommate at the time and I would sometimes have to travel for work. Figuring the honor system was good enough to stay out of each others rooms was my mistake. I didnt have a safe for long guns yet and before I would leave I would unload the shotgun, toss the gun and shells into a case and put it under my bed.

Well, I came home from my work trip one time and when I went to load the shotgun I noticed one of the shells was missing. Racked the gun and out popped an expended hull. The roommate wasnt home at the time and I began searching the house to look for holes. What I found was a nice 12ga sized entry hole on the front of one of the speaker towers in the living room, a fist sized exit hole on the back, steel lamp post behind the speaker caught most of the buckshot and there were a few that made it into the wall. Nothing made it through the wall to the great outdoors though.

When the roommate came home he suffered quite a few choice words from me along with the abrupt news that I was kicking him out instead of kicking his you know what. Cant live with someone you cant trust.

Only thing good about that was the speaker and the lamp still worked fine!

robg
09-10-2019, 05:10 PM
My dad drummed it into me if handed a firearm always check it yourself no matter who gave it to you .when introducing new shooters I insist they do the same .its amazing how many people get shot with unloaded guns.

MT Gianni
09-12-2019, 05:40 PM
I have had two. At age 11 I had a benjamin 177 pellet gun. It would shoot bb's at a much cheaper cost but they would roll out if the bbl pointed down. I went to unload it one day by tipping it up and letting the bb roll into my palm. I could swear my finger was away from the trigger but it wasn't and the gun shifted causing more weight on the trigger and it shot into my palm. No penetration but it had a sore for a week or so.
Second was deer hunting with the BLR. I chamber a round then let the hammer down and this time it slipped out of my thumb and I shot into a group of trees. I now have hammer extensions on everything with a scope and an exposed hammer.

goryshaw
09-12-2019, 09:43 PM
I had mine with a Ruger Mk II when I was around 20 or 21. Punched a hole in my downstairs bedroom ceiling and a good sized dent in the frame of a dishwasher in the kitchen above. A little bit of paper and some white paint and it was invisible, My father never found out about it before his passing in 2013.

My friends brother likewise blew a hole in their bedroom ceiling with a Marlin 336 .30-30, unfortunately for him their father was right behind him when it happened.

Have also had a slamfire with an AR-15 when dropping the bolt during prone slow in a hi-power match, saw it impact the dirt about 1/2 way to the 100 yd butt. Other than an embarrassment and a 0 on the scorecard no harm done. Stupid CCI SR primers.

Like was mentioned earlier I believe there are two types of shooters, those who have had and those who will have. Just be sure it's pointed somewhere safe at the time.