PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Cavity Moulds from RCBS?

Green Frog
08-26-2019, 08:13 PM
I know his may seem like a rookie question, but I only have limited experience with RCBS moulds. What I would like to know is whether RCBS ever made gang moulds. All the RCBS moulds I've ever worked with have been either double cavity or the occasional single cavity hollow base Mine Ball.

So how about it, did RCBS ever make 4 or even 6 cavity gang moulds? Inquiring minds...

Froggie

Mal Paso
08-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Not that I ever heard. Kept me from buying one. 4 cavity minimum for me. Pistol shooter here.

Littlewolf
08-26-2019, 09:12 PM
to my knowlege rcbs is the ONLY one that never made a more than 2cav mold

lightman
08-26-2019, 10:45 PM
I've never seen one over 2 cavity. They make a good mold. I have several of them.

Three44s
08-26-2019, 10:45 PM
Can’t recall hearing of more than two cavities.

On the plus side all of my RCBS molds cast really nice.

Three44s

toallmy
08-27-2019, 05:20 PM
I find it hard to not cast nice boolits with RCBS molds , about the only thing I can do wrong is get going to fast and not let the sprue set enough before cutting . Also sold new at a very reasonable price for the quality .

Burnt Fingers
08-27-2019, 06:21 PM
I've got a few RCBS molds. Top quality! I wish they made a 4C in the 45-201KT.

Green Frog
08-27-2019, 09:26 PM
I use two Minie ball moulds by RCBS, but no longer have anything for modern cartridges. 40 years ago when I first started reloading, I needed a mould for 44s. The easiest to find then was a new double cavity mould by RCBS. I was very inexperienced and didn’t know about break-in, etc, so I never got a steady flow of good bullets. I sold it and got an old, well cared for Ideal 429421 SC and started getting great bullets right away. Somewhere some savvy caster is laughing about the stupid kid who sold him a nearly new mould so cheaply. Live and learn!

Froggie

Walks
08-27-2019, 09:35 PM
RCBS bought out Lachmiller in the early-mid 1970's. They only made one size block.
I've seen old Lachmiller molds that would cast 3 .38cal bullets. And the handles were a bit thinner too. Some of the early Lachmiller molds won't take current RCBS handles.
RCBS just went with 2cavity blocks only. Unless the bullets were really big.
And Ohaus molds were in there somewhere
too.

Shepherd2
08-28-2019, 08:08 AM
I have one of the old Lachmiller moulds and is a great one. I've always wished the RCBS would make 4 cavity moulds. Casting mostly for handgun I want greater production so I've always bought Lyman 4 cavities or went with the custom NOE, Accurate etc..

Green Frog
08-28-2019, 09:07 AM
I have one of the old Lachmiller moulds and is a great one. I've always wished the RCBS would make 4 cavity moulds. Casting mostly for handgun I want greater production so I've always bought Lyman 4 cavities or went with the custom NOE, Accurate etc..

Yeah, it’s getting so it makes more sense to order semi-custom moulds from NOE and get just what you want... and the price differential has been become less over time too.

Froggie