PDA

View Full Version : C&r

Battis
08-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Is there any advantage to having a C&R license other than the ability to buy guns that I normally wouldn't be able to buy? I live in a very unfriendly state. Mine expires in a month and I'm not sure whether having it is a liability or a protection. I bought all the guns that I want and any future purchases would be just an impulse buy.

Sig556r
08-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Having one when you don't need it is better than needing one & not having it...just my $0.02

Battis
08-26-2019, 09:42 AM
I'm just wondering if there's any downside.

waksupi
08-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Some companies give discount on gun parts with a C&R. Considering it doesn't cost much, I keep mine active.

gwpercle
08-26-2019, 11:31 AM
Easier to keep it than to get it new . Hang on to it .
If there is a downside you would have discovered what it is by now...how long have you had it and what state do you live in .

EDG
08-26-2019, 12:10 PM
Is there something wrong with wanting more guns?
The C&R is a collectors license and it allows you to both buy and sell as you need to maintain a collection.
As long as I had money to spend I liked having a C&R. Since all rifles I liked are more than 50 years old I could buy them without going through a fee charging dealer.

Is there any advantage to having a C&R license other than the ability to buy guns that I normally wouldn't be able to buy? I live in a very unfriendly state. Mine expires in a month and I'm not sure whether having it is a liability or a protection. I bought all the guns that I want and any future purchases would be just an impulse buy.

lefty o
08-26-2019, 02:11 PM
i dont see there being any liability to having it. i had one for 9 years, and it more than paid for itself, but as ive gotten to the point of having more guns than i ever get around to shooting, i let mine lapse a few years ago.

alamogunr
08-26-2019, 02:38 PM
I just renewed mine for the 4th or 5th time. It is very convenient to have a milsurp shipped to your home address. Like the OP, I question whether I will use it again. I'm only a somewhat collector. I only buy milsurps that I can shoot although I haven't shot all that I have.

It is not beyond question that I won't see something tomorrow that I can't live without.

Geraldo
08-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Mine expires in a month and I'm not sure whether having it is a liability or a protection.

I have no idea what liability it would cause, other than to my bank account. Each year, more guns get added to what I can buy. How cool is that? The biggest problem I have is trying to figure out what I want to collect.

Having a CCW, FFL (C&R), hunting license, club memberships make you look like a model citizen. Whether that would ever be a help or not, I do not know.

Battis
08-26-2019, 04:01 PM
I live in MA. That says alot about my concerns. But, you're all right. I've had no problems for the past three years.
Thanks for the opinions.

shtur
08-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Once it expires, don't you have to send the ATF your records showing the guns that were purchased with your C&R?

For only saving $20.00 per transaction, and letting the FFL take all the accountability, I let mine expire. I don't buy many guns from FFL's.

Brownells does not give a discount for a C&R license, they only give the discount for a regular FFL. I know I tried/asked.

Battis
08-26-2019, 07:23 PM
After a C&R expires, you do not have to send them your paperwork, and you don't have to save it. I got it because I live in MA, and there were many "vintage" handguns 20 miles away in Maine that I wanted but couldn't buy. I could buy those that I wanted with the C&R (and I did, several). Brownells wouldn't even ship new, unprimed brass to MA. I can buy any rifle or shotgun out of state without the C&R, but not handguns.

alamogunr
08-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Once it expires, don't you have to send the ATF your records showing the guns that were purchased with your C&R?

For only saving $20.00 per transaction, and letting the FFL take all the accountability, I let mine expire. I don't buy many guns from FFL's.

Brownells does not give a discount for a C&R license, they only give the discount for a regular FFL. I know I tried/asked.

At one time Brownell's gave a discount even with a C&R. I had the discount but found out that the change in what I paid for shipping negated the discount. In talking with them, I discovered that you had to buy a lot of product to come out ahead. I removed myself from the program. I think they changed their standard shipping some years later.

Take all this with a grain of salt. It happened before yesterday.

higgins
08-27-2019, 05:20 PM
Years ago I saw a list on the ATF website of C&R-eligible firearms, and was amazed how many desireable "vintage but modern" firearms were listed. It's not just old milsurp rifles, although several years ago that would have been reason enough for me to have one, except that I decided it would have made it too easy for me to accumulate milsurps.

abunaitoo
08-30-2019, 05:03 PM
I used to have one.
Used to be, when a firearm is 50 years old, it becomes C&R.
It was in the printed C&R book.
Not sure if that's still true.
I did see a clip on utube about the Colt SP-1 now being C&R.

Battis
08-30-2019, 06:08 PM
I recently found an 1883 Reichrevolver 11mm at a store in Maine. I live in MA and the ME store will not sell me a revolver that uses cartridges, even though it's an antique (as this revolver was). But, they sold it to me on my C&R. They don't want to deal with MA laws and I kinda don't blame them. That's why I got the C&R. That makes 10 guns that I bought with the C&R that I wouldn't have been able to buy without it. I just sent the renewal in.