PDA

View Full Version : FS: Hopkins & Allen 45 cal. Underhammer Percussion Rifle

bedbugbilly
08-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Sold Pending Funds - MrWolf

I have up for sale a nice vintage Hopkins & Allen .45 caliber underhammer percussion muzzleloading rfle.

First “I’ll take it” posted prevails. Payment by PayPal – F / F or please add 3% to cover their charges. Please PM after posting and send me your shipping address and I will send my payment information. Thanks.

FOR SALE IN CONTINENTAL U.S. ONLY. I will NOT ship to any state that requires a FFL transfer for a black powder muzzleloader. Please check your state and local rules/laws.

I purchased this rifle a number of years ago with the intent of using it strictly for a bench rest style rifle to play with shooting round ball and longer distances. These rifles were made years ago and when I was a kid, you could order them through Poplar Mechanics and similar magazines.

The butt stock and fore stock are made out of nice black walnut. When I got the rifle, the original plastic butt plate was cracked and missing a chunk so I made a new butt plate our of heavy sheet brass and it is attached with the original screws. I wanted to “dress it up” a little so I poured a nosecap. I had to solder the ramrod thimble back on and the rifle is now in fine shape and ready to shoot. It was missing the ramrod but I am including a delrin style ramrod with the rifle that the new owner can cut to their preferred length. I usually keep mine longer so I can get a good grip on it when loading or cleaning the barrel.

I got the rifle fixed up and life got in the way and I have never shot it. It has been shot but appears to have been very little. The bore is in excellent condition – bright and good rifling – an oiled patch glides down it and back out with no indication of any pitting or problems.

The barrel measures 32 ¾” approximately in length and the rifle is approximately 49 ½” overall in length. The octagon barrel measures 15/16” across the flats and has a Marble adjustable rear sight with a globe front sight – the globe front sight has a single post insert in it. The metal of the rifle has a nice “patina” to it that is brownish in color and the walnut stock I refinished using boiled linseed oil thinned down with real turpentine which gives it a nice sheen look. The nipple of the rifle is “cupped” with a brass cup to prevent any cap charring of the nearby wood and the action functions like it is supposed to. The barrel is marked “Numrich Arms – West Hurley, N.Y. – “THE OFFHAND” (model of this rifle). It is a well balanced rifle and will work good for either off the bench or offhand shooting.

Numrich Arms made barrels for their H & A rifles as well as others sold by others. They were known to have “tight bores” – i.e. slightly undersize bores. Where you would normally use a .440 round ball in a .45 caliber muzzleloader, the Numrich barrels required a ball just a few thousands smaller. It as very common to use a .437 round ball rifles and they even included a cheaply built .437 round ball mold with them when originally sold. I AM INCLUDING a nice single cavity Lyman .437 round ball set of blocks with handles with this rifle so the new owner can be ready to cast and shoot.

I have owned a number of these H & A under hammer rifles over the past 55 years and all of them have been excellent shooters. The under hammer action is simple and a fast ignition system and the rifles can be used easily by both right and left handed shooters. They are just plain fun to shoot. Years after they were discontinued, Deer Creek reproduced them and I still have one of their rifles in .36 that I am keeping in case I can find a place to shoot. The last I heard, they still have a supply of parts which will work on these rifles if ever needed but I have never had issues with any of the ones I have owned. The barrels utilize a screw in breechplug with a 5/8” round “stub” in place of a tang. The stub has a hole cross drilled and it slides in to the front of the receiver portion and is cross pinned in place. What is nice is that you can easily make up interchangeable barrels for these under hammer rifles in different calibers / lengths whether you want a rifle or a shotgun brrel. The nipple hole is drilled and tapped in to the barrel and the nipple is screwed in directly in to the breech area which makes for a very simple and fast ignition when the cap goes off.

This rifle will be shipped with the butt stock removed in order to pack more securely in a shorter box than one that is as long as the rifle. All the buyer will have to do is to remove the buttplate (2 screws), slide the butt stock on the stub at back end of the receiver and then reach in with a long flat bladed screwdriver and tighten the bolt that goes through the butt stock until the butt stock is securely in place, then replace the butt plate.

This is a nice rifle and should be a good shooter with round ball and a good one to try with REAL and other conicals as well. The rifle will be well packed and shipped with the mold that I am including with it via USPS Ground Rate. Please check your state / local laws and restrictions concerning the shipment of BP rifles to your location. Price: $400.00 shipped – rifle and mold.
Sold Pending Funds - MrWolf
Thanks.

bedbugbilly
08-25-2019, 02:54 PM
more pics

MrWolf
08-25-2019, 04:32 PM
I will take it. Kinda different like me:bigsmyl2: PM incoming

bedbugbilly
08-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Thank you very much! PM sent with my payment information.

Jim

bedbugbilly
08-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Shipped this morning - 8/272019. PM sent with tracking. Many thanks MrWolf - greatly appreciated and enjoy and have fun with it!

Jim

bedbugbilly
08-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Rifle received by purchaser. Thank you again MrWolf - greatly appreciated - enjoy it and have fun!

Mods - please close this thread.

Thanks
Jim