PDA

View Full Version : Six cavity molds

tomf52
12-10-2005, 08:02 PM
I Have never cast into anything but a two cavity mold but now want to up my production for a certain bullet I found that I really like. Want to get a Lee six cavity 105 SWC .358 and would like to know if it is difficult to work with such a mold. Are there any special tricks or things to know hanks as ususal for any insight into this.

Tom

Willbird
12-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Tom,

They are much nicer than the Lee 1 and 2 cavity molds I think. Follow the instructions they come with. Other suggested using a dry moly lube from a spray can on the underside of the sprueplate and I have to agree it works nicely. I can cast nearly 1000 bullets an hour with one and not work myself to tatters doing it. The only thing you need to figuire out is how to keep hot metal coming fast enough. I premelt ingots in a heavy aluminum saucepan on an 8.95 walmart hotplate, and use a ladle to put it in the rcbs promelt. BruceB uses another method, you can seek out his thread on this board.

I think a new Lee 6 cavity mold for under 50 bucks is one of the best deals going in bullet molds. You do need to buy a set of handles too.

Bill

Newtire
12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Tom,

They are much nicer than the Lee 1 and 2 cavity molds I think. Follow the instructions they come with. Other suggested using a dry moly lube from a spray can on the underside of the sprueplate and I have to agree it works nicely. I can cast nearly 1000 bullets an hour with one and not work myself to tatters doing it. The only thing you need to figuire out is how to keep hot metal coming fast enough. I premelt ingots in a heavy aluminum saucepan on an 8.95 walmart hotplate, and use a ladle to put it in the rcbs promelt. BruceB uses another method, you can seek out his thread on this board.

I think a new Lee 6 cavity mold for under 50 bucks is one of the best deals going in bullet molds. You do need to buy a set of handles too.

Bill

As Willbird said, the 6-cavity are much nicer made than the 2-cavity Lee moulds. I had a tumble-lube mould lying around that I'd picked up off E-bay years ago and it was around 148 gr. I think. In anticipation of receiving one of the recent group-buy moulds, I decided to try out my first 6-cavity. After initially cleaning it out and smoking the cavities with a match, all the bullets just dropped out after only a few casts. I think the rounded lands help with that. I thought it was the coolest thing. Now I need a .357 to go with all those bullets.

Bret4207
12-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Go to the "Moulds, maintainance and design" section and read the "sticky" posts about the Lee 6 cavs. Good moulds, they have their quirks, lotsa boolits fast.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2005, 02:44 PM
you found a secret bullet of mine. That little 105 really shoots in my .38s its probably the most accurate bullet ive found in 5 different k frame smiths. Youll like the 6 cavity molds alot if you can put up with there 2 cavity molds.