PDA

View Full Version : Custom .45 350 grainer?

grumble
12-10-2005, 06:56 PM
A few weeks ago, there was some talk about a custom run for a 45 boolit. It seemed like there was about enough interest, but the discussion sort of died in the midst of other things going on.

I'd like a .460 in about 350 grain gas checked, with deep enough lube grooves that it could a) hold enough lube for BP, or b) be sized down to 45 Colt or 454.

As it so happens, Wally Bator designed just such a boolit for us.
http://www.gilanet.com/tundraj/1-Proposed%20new%20batorboolits/C460-350-RF%20BATOR%2011-08-02.jpg

What we need to make it happen is sufficient expressions of interest and a honcho.

Comments?

SharpsShooter
12-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Well the diameter is good, but everything I have likes 400gr and up. I might try one anyway. Any chance of a PB? I know, I know, I just changed the entire design.

45 2.1
12-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Two 0.075" wide by 0.015" deep lube grooves with 40 degree draft angles usually doesn't provide enough lube for blackpowder in my experience. That is plenty for smokeless applications. Something along the lines of the Lyman 457191 or 457121 lengthened with more lube capacity would work though.

Bodydoc447
12-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Sounds pretty interesting. This is for a 6 cavity mold, right?

Doc

grumble
12-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Yep, it would be a 6 cavity.

One thing I guess I should have included in the intro post is that I don't have the capability to change the design -- the drawing is just as Wally sent it to me three years ago. If there is a consensus to change the design (wider grooves, PB instead of GC, meplat changes, etc), it will have to be re-drawn by someone. Hmm. Wonder if our "good horse" (you always ride the good horse, y'know <G>), AKA 45 2.1, is listening....

SharpsShooter
12-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Here is what the 457191 looks like

45 2.1
12-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Good Horse huh, better have a silver mounted saddle and reins. The 4570 doesn't really need a gas check, but alot of people really lean on her for speed. I like the 350 to 370 gr. weight range for her myself. Here is something to look at.

Johnch
12-10-2005, 07:46 PM
If this gets enough interest .
I would take 1 .
Even deeper or larger grease groves to hold more lube for BPCR use ?

I know it may not be needed for some loads , but I like a GC on this type of bullet .

Johnch

SharpsShooter
12-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Here's another

Bullshop
12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
I have been hunting with a 45/70 and cast boolits for at least 25 years. Folks that know me well know that my old Marlin is a part of me. It has harvested my game dependibly and saved my hide on more than one ocasion.

I mention this only to qualifie an opinion. I have ponderd what would be the optimum boolit weight for the modern 45/70. Not just in passing but over a long period of time and using every experiance with its use on game as a guide.
My view has changed a bit over the years about weight but not on design. The way I feel about it now I would put optimum weight at 375gn. As for design I feel there has never been a better design, again talking about what I will call the modern 45/70 than the series from RCBS.

Looking at the Bator design I see it looks much like one I had Walt Melander cut for me a number of years ago. It is # 346 from NEI and looks very much like the Bator design accept it weighs about 100 gn more.
The two things that were a disapointment about #346 are that first it is not a dependable feeder from a Marlin. It feeds slick as a wet back hair cut from my old Marlin, but from many of the new crop of guide models it will hang up.
This may be an issue of new rough edges but I dont see it with the RCBS design.
Secondly I believe with the added meplate it is not as accurate at the longer ranges that the rifles are capable of taking game at. I have found some very accurate loads that do well out to 100 yards but seem to realy open up much farther. The RCBS design has no such limitation that I can discern and with a scope sighted rifle on the order of a Ruger #1 and loads up to task 225 or possibly 250 yards is not out of the question.
I am comparing the NEI # 346 here and not the Bator but since they apear to be so similer from ogive to meplate I cant help thinking they may perform similerly too.
BIC/BS

Bullshop
12-10-2005, 08:38 PM
45 2.1
That must have went up while I was writing as I didnt see it til after I posted. That looks closer to perfection to me. The nose is a dead ringer for the RCBS. Looks real good to me!!!
BIC/BS

45 2.1
12-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks Bullshop, look at your PMs.

rikkit
12-10-2005, 09:39 PM
I would definitely be in on a .460 diameter and Plain Base. the Ly 457191 does gang busters out of my Pedersoli but my Dane RB reguires a larger diameter bullet. This baby may just fit the bill!

The Nyack Kid
12-10-2005, 10:05 PM
I too have the NEI #346 but it is a post Walt-era Mold . It looks more like the CPB 460gr but it has a .330 meplat .the boolit shown in the NEI catalog has about a .400 in meplat. If a guy was to mill the top of a RCBS mold to get rid of the gascheck shank the boolit would then weigh about 375-380 grns .
Me thinks that for the 45-70 to preform good at the longer ranges (150 yards +) then the meplat should be around .300 to .320 in .
this longer range 45-70 hunting can be a trick .

45 2.1
12-10-2005, 10:10 PM
For hunting, I use the 457191 of pure lead, sized and paper patched. At 1500 fps muzzle, they expand past 300 yards and about blow up at 20 yards. Does fine for the smaller big game (deer, coyotes etc.). A heavier bullet at about 375 gr would be great.

SharpsShooter
12-10-2005, 10:23 PM
375 would be good to me. It will get the weight a little closer to the 400 grain that my Rolling Block seems to like, providing the lube groove capacity is great enough to use with the Holy Black

grumble
12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
I don't want to complicate things, but how will the 370 gr boolit fit in other chambers than the 45-70?

Here's what Wally had in mind:
http://www.gilanet.com/tundraj/1-Proposed%20new%20batorboolits/C460-350-RF%20CTG%2011-08-02.jpg

I'm open to whatever the group decides. My only questions are the length of unsupported nose in front of the bearing surface, and how far out in front of the casemouth the boolit will have to be seated to contact the throat. Clearly from previous comments, the unsupported nose doesn't affect accuracy.

Cayoot
12-11-2005, 05:29 PM
If we could make sure it would hold enough lube for black powder....well I've been picking up pop bottles on the side of the road for extra money :violin:
Me thinks this is where it should go!

grumble
12-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Cayoot, do you have a preferance of one of the three designs? As far as blackpowder lube capacity, I don't have a clue. Personally, it seems the 1R nose would be easier to fit to the throat than the 2R design, but I'll defer to those more experienced.

Cayoot
12-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Cayoot, do you have a preferance of one of the three designs? As far as blackpowder lube capacity, I don't have a clue. Personally, it seems the 1R nose would be easier to fit to the throat than the 2R design, but I'll defer to those more experienced.

I really don't have a preference Grumble, of course it would be great if we could fit it in a Blackhawk clndr, I'm always looking for something bigger to shoot out of my .45 colt! :-P

But other than that, I defer to the judgement of those who are more skilled at bullet design....I just love casting, loading and shooting (and Blue Grass music, but that doesn't have anything to do with this thread :veryconfu ).

So I'll just say that you can count me in if you decide to honcho this.

grumble
12-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Whoa, there, Cayoot! I'll be a shill, but not a honcho! <GGG> I do want a 6-cav .460 mold though, so I'm willing to work the pump handle to get things going.

I'd think that if the grooves are wide and deep enough to hold the lube, this could be a multipurpose boolit for black and several white 45s. I think we should be able to come to a consensus on nose design if we find several more of the knowledgable folks to contribute so we can settle on a design.

Cayoot
12-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Whoa, there, Cayoot! I'll be a shill, but not a honcho! .

LOL!!!! Ok Grumble, I thought you were saddling that horse to ride yourself! I didn't know you were just admiring the herd! :oops:

Then I'll wait to see if a honcho shows up.

Dutch4122
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
.460 diameter, gas checked (preferred) or plain based, 350 or so grain weight sounds good to me. You guys can count on me for an order if this one gets up enough steam. Just gotta be able to function through my Marlin Guide Gun is all I ask.

TCLouis
12-11-2005, 07:04 PM
holes are going to be in this mold?

If it has enough holes and the bigger lube grooves of the second drawing I may well be interested!

grumble
12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
TC, it'll be a 6-holer.

Now that I suckered him in, maybe we can get Dutch to honcho? <snicker-snicker> He did an admirable job on his previous honchoing job, we all gave him rave reviews. Experienced honcho, that's what we need! Go Dutch!!

Signed grumble, shill at large

Dutch4122
12-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Now that I suckered him in, maybe we can get Dutch to honcho? <snicker-snicker> He did an admirable job on his previous honchoing job, we all gave him rave reviews. Experienced honcho, that's what we need! Go Dutch!!

Signed grumble, shill at large

Not to sure about that Grumble. Having me as your "Honcho" on this custom run so close on the heels of the 8mm Custom Fracas may not be the thing to do. I'm sure that there may be more than 1 member out there who believes I mishandled the 8mm run and that may cost you some orders. I'd rather hang back and continue to learn from this site and share in the knowledge here while doing my part to support these group custom runs.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll have to pass.

grumble
12-11-2005, 07:58 PM
That was no "fracas," Dutch. That was just one pot-stirrer in action.

Aw, c'mon, please-please-please? <GGG> Y'know what they say, "you ain't rode till you've been throwed?" Well, we got the "good horse" in 45 2.1 (silver tack and all), and you ain't even come close to being throwed yet. But, even if you feel like you've been piled, there's another expression just for you: "ya gotta get right back on!"

See there, gotcha coming and going.

Seriously, if you don't want to do it because of your prior experience with one person, I understand. But, if you will reconsider, I'll do my best to watch your six for you.

porkchop bob
12-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Good Horse huh, better have a silver mounted saddle and reins. The 4570 doesn't really need a gas check, but alot of people really lean on her for speed. I like the 350 to 370 gr. weight range for her myself. Here is something to look at.
I like the design shown in reply #7 in either PB or GC at about 360 grains. Do a PB 1st Qtr 2006 and a GC 2nd Qtr 2006. I want two of each. Lots of applications :-)
Bob

PatMarlin
12-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Dan-

What of the 3 RCBS weights is your favorite?

I'm really interested in this mold group buy.

Bullshop
12-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Pat
Without question the middle one. IMHO the best boolit ever designed for the modern 45/70. It was my first mold and I still use it. I have about 150 molds now and prolly 20 are for 45 cal rifle. All things considered I dont think it can be improved on.
BIC/BS

Cayoot
12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
My preference would be for a pb boolit. After that a gc would be good, but I have some gc molds, not many pbs for the .45-70 though.

Just my $.02 ( actually $.005 after inflation is figgured in)

grumble
12-12-2005, 06:23 PM
BS-- "the middle one..." Is that the 45 2.1 design? If so, how will the long nose work when used in a revolver?

Cayoot -- Looks like most are opting for the PB version. I'm like you, though, and can swing either way. BTW, your .5 cent's worth would go back to a full 2 cents' worth if you had to buy a GC for it. <G>

Hackleback
12-12-2005, 09:29 PM
This boolit apears to have morphed a bit from the original posts (from 350 to 400 gr/ hollow point to no HP...... I think). Please refresh my mind on what the current concensis is on this boolit. Just trying to keep everybody on the same page. Thank you.

Bullshop
12-12-2005, 09:49 PM
BS-- "the middle one..." Is that the 45 2.1 design? If so, how will the long nose work when used in a revolver?

Cayoot -- Looks like most are opting for the PB version. I'm like you, though, and can swing either way. BTW, your .5 cent's worth would go back to a full 2 cents' worth if you had to buy a GC for it. <G>
Grumble
I think we are getting confused. I think Pat was asking me which of the three RCBS I prefered, not which of the drawings submitted. I was saying of the three RCBS weights of the same design I like the middle weight best The 425gn.
BIC/BS

porkchop bob
12-12-2005, 10:28 PM
This boolit apears to have morphed a bit from the original posts (from 350 to 400 gr/ hollow point to no HP...... I think). Please refresh my mind on what the current concensis is on this boolit. Just trying to keep everybody on the same page. Thank you.

trk and I are playing with a design. When we get it done, I'll post it. We've missed this hunting season already with Lee's lead time considered, so there is no great hurry.
The .45-70 Feeler thread is for a HP design. Several contributors to this thread were under impression the mold would be another 6-C which would preclude a HP. When there numbers are removed from the count, it appears those interested in a HP buy are now fewer than 10. When a new drawing is posted, perhaps more will be interested.

This thread appears to be for a 6-C 45-70 .460 dia FN between 350 - 375 grains, PB or GC with details still under discussion.

As I see it, both threads are alive. If you have time to spare, there may be three group buys in 45-70: 1-C HP, 6-C PB and 6-C GC, all FN between 350-375 grains or ???. Jump in and stir the pot.
Bob :-)

porkchop bob
12-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Grumble
I think we are getting confused. I think Pat was asking me which of the three RCBS I prefered, not which of the drawings submitted. I was saying of the three RCBS weights of the same design I like the middle weight best The 425gn.
BIC/BS
RCBS site - http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=9&s3=83&pg=4 - shows five 45-70 bullets weighing 300, 325, 405, 500 and 500 grains respectfully. I assume the 425 grain is not currently available or not listed there. So I, for one, am confused as I do not understand the question or the answer.
Bob

PatMarlin
12-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Dan's right. I was refering to RCBS, and the 405 casts out to bout 425gr PC-Bob.

grumble
12-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Yep, it IS confusing, and I guess I lost track of the conversations.

I'm easy, though. I want a 6-hole 45-70 boolit weighting about 350 grains. Any of the three designs posted on THIS thread would be acceptable, or another design if it suits the majority.

The way I understand what's been said in the conversation (not the side conversations), most seem to be opting for a PB with wide and deep grooves. If this is duplicating another threrad, maybe we should join forces?

Bodydoc447
12-13-2005, 09:51 AM
I would like a 6 pack mold in .45-70 ~350 grains AND the previously proposed .45-70 HP (single cavity, of course) mold. I just hope they don't need the denero at the same time. I just bought one of the Lee surplused 457-325 mold just to try out the general weight class. I have not had a chance to cast any yet, though.

Doc

C1PNR
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I kind of liked the design in post #9. The larger meplat just seems like a better hunting design.

However, I'm interested in what others say about accuracy with the short vs the slightly longer boolit. In this lighter weight, perhaps the slightly longer #7 would work better.

And I must say, I like the idea of a gas check in this lighter weight so I can push my Siamese a little harder than with the 457122.

porkchop bob
12-14-2005, 02:46 AM
I kind of liked the design in post #9. The larger meplat just seems like a better hunting design.

However, I'm interested in what others say about accuracy with the short vs the slightly longer boolit. In this lighter weight, perhaps the slightly longer #7 would work better.

And I must say, I like the idea of a gas check in this lighter weight so I can push my Siamese a little harder than with the 457122.
Good evening, C1PNR.
The 45-70 shoots like a rainbow. Being able to guage distance is an important factor. I am thinking, for the same speed, #7 will shoot a flater arc. This may help to offset my errors in distance guaging. Sailors need all the help we can get :-) Also, without the weight of the heaver 405 (425) grain bullet, the largr meplat design of #9 may stop too fast at longer ranges.

For a given weight, the larger the meplat, the harder it will have to be driven to be accurate at the longer ranges. I can only judge this by what my 38 and 45 caliber wadcutters do past 50 yards. Yes, this is an extreme example.

In another thread, there is a discussion on meplat size and its effect on killing game. Looks like we are all are in agreement that a FN is better than a RN. I suspect the difference between the effect of a .50, .60, or .75 % meplat will take years to determine. But if you also want accuracy at the longer distances, IMHO the closer you get to the RN shape, the better you are going to be.

For shorter distances, 150 yards or less, none of the above points really matter and most hunting will be within this range. At longer ranges, I like the design of #7.

To reduce recoil, I normally do not shot the max loads and have less of a need for a GC design. Recoil is another reason for liking the 350-375 grain weight. Would rather have a PB first and later a GC. I am unsure how the GC design would shoot without the GC. If the PB design was available first, my cost to shot will be less. Cost is an important factor for many.

Bob

Bass Ackward
12-14-2005, 08:15 AM
This is always interesting to me to see the experiences of others reflected in their thought processes when it comes to 45 rifles.

To keep things in perspective as far as weight, two times bore diameter bearing length is obtainable at 160 grains in 30 caliber. The best I have been able to obtain two times bearing length in a 45 has been using Dan's Origional Keith design at 410 grains. That is because nose diameter and grease groove diameter is 85% of bore diameter, so the extra weight on those areas goes to bearing length.

Or another way to look at it that I have a 350 grain Keith that has the bearing length longer than most 400 grain one diameter olgivals. If you want two times bearing length in an olgival design in 45 caliber you need approximately 430 grains. The added weight also adds inertia which covers a lot of sins in case grip, crimp, etc. Which is the reason things settle down when you go over this weight.

My point is that looking for a weight that is "ideal" under these weights producing bearing lengths above matters very little IMO. Meplat size is pretty much immaterial if you are thinking of ballistic coefficient. You don't have the bullet length to make much difference. If you were talking about this in any other bore diameter you would be talking almost about a heavy pistol or plinker bullet in a rifle. My advice would be to design the shape and lube carrying minimum that you "think" you will need and let the weight shake out as it may.

felix
12-14-2005, 11:01 AM
BA, for bearing design, it might be more important to think of area percentage of contact with the lands. Land height naturally adds to this percentage. What would be the necessary specs for a 458 when compared to a 308? This calc might be compared to the standard calc of 2 times grove diameter. These calculations hurt my head, so I'll go with what you are indirectly saying: If it looks good, it just might shoot good. ... felix

The Nyack Kid
12-14-2005, 01:14 PM
for hunting perposes ,the damage done by the smaller (60%) meplat vs the bigger (70%) is offset by the increased done range speed and higher B.C. .
In reality there would be about a froghairs differance proformance wise in animals, but the smaller meplat would have about 3 inch better tracectory @ 200yds
In a very unscienctific test that i did this summer , a 460gr 45cal with a meplat of 90% (dont laugh it was my first mold from dan , i thought that bigger=better) moving at 1760 fps had about a 8 inch lower(eyeball guesstamation) @ 250(guesstamation) than a 475 gr 70% meplat loafing along at 1640fps .

grumble
12-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I wonder what sort of BC differences we're talking about here? Maybe .35 vs .37?

And, I'm still wondering about how far forward the boolits will have to be seated in order to contact the lands?

The Nyack Kid
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I wonder what sort of BC differences we're talking about here? Maybe .35 vs .37?

And, I'm still wondering about how far forward the boolits will have to be seated in order to contact the lands?

BCs closer to .25 and .27
lymans 457125 has .391 the 457122 is .274 and its long for its weight do to the hollow-point these BCs are according to lyman

grumble
12-14-2005, 02:18 PM
"BCs closer to .25 and .27 "

So, except at the longest ranges, the nose shape really won't matter much? In normal hunting ranges, say to 200 yards, the difference would be pretty small?

45 2.1
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
This is a light 45-70 hunting, plinking etc. bullet, not a 1000 yard match bullet, so don't worry about B.C. or other minor things. Worry more about how it feeds and shoots. The Lyman 457191, 457122 and the RCBS series does that just about the best of the commercial molds available, EXCEPT that none of them cast large enough. I've only heard of one rifle that won't take a 0.461" bullet. Well, a properly designed bullet will size down to fit. Get it big enough to start with and everything else will come. I shoot alot of 0.462" bullets and they fit ALL the 4570 rifles i've tried them in, which is over three dozen. A nice 360 gr. PB bullet thats FAT will work very well and shoot better than you will realize. Harry M. Pope was WRONG about the 4570 not being accurate.

grumble
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
By my count, it looks as if we have right at a dozen people interested. Time for a honcho to step forward to get the other half of the required numbers.

The honcho will also have to make the production decisions of nose design, gas check or not, and final diameter.

WANTED: 45 cal boolit Honcho. No pay, lots of hassle and frustration, rewarding work.

StarMetal
12-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'd have to say Pope is wrong too. In my opinion I don't think caliber has alot to do with accuracy, I think it's more the quality of the rifle, which covers all aspects, barrel, bedding, etc., and how well the ammo is made and how well the ammo is fitted to the barrel.

Joe

felix
12-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Yes, Yes, fatter the better in all cases and situations. No more than 0.001 of measured chamber neck (the length of the boolit distance) is required for the utmost safety to release a boolit from the case. ... felix

slug
12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm in for a six holer. TIA.
slug
P3L 1H4.

helenajoe
12-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Hi everyone,

Count me in for a 350-375 grs (or a tad more perhaps 385 gr) six-cavity mould at whatever diameter will fit a Browning 86 carbine and a modern Winchester 86 carbine extra light . The Browning 86's and modern Winchester's don't have a throat so bullet shape up front (ogive) becomes critical just to chamber a round, that's why the 350-375 gr bullet appeals to me.

I'll leave the bullet design up to you experts. A gas check would be nice but I can live without it. I just want an accurate bullet at long distance for deer hunting. Yes, I know most shots will be at 150 yds or less, but I live out West and sometimes shots can be long when shooting across a coulee in semi-arid desert country or across a canyon in rolling dryland wheat country.

My .50 cal muzzleloader with a 300 gr lead bullet sure kills mule deer dead and rolls them down the hill to my feet. But my .50 cal T/C Hawken with 1:48" twist can only shoot so far.

That's why I'd like an accurate 350-375 gr cast bullet for my .45-70 carbines. Then I'll be able to increase my shooting distance over the muzzleloader by 50 yds or more --- which becomes critical in the wide open areas that I deer hunt.

When I was a kid, 350 yds shots at deer with a .270 Win was possible, sometimes with the deer still in its bed --- but now I'm older, wiser and better appreciate the challenge of a more sportsmanship type of deer hunt with a muzzleloader or a .45-70 carbine, where one has to get alot closer to the deer.

My .45-70 carbines don't shoot the 300 gr cast bullets very well but really like the 405 gr cast bullets. However, I'd appreciate a slightly lighter bullet for deer. That's why I'm thinking a 350-375 gr cast bullet would be perfect.

Happy New Year,
helenajoe

grumble
12-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Looks like we're up to 14 molds committed.

Who wants to honcho it?

LIMPINGJ
12-30-2005, 06:54 PM
I am in whenever the details get decided.
Jim

Pepe Ray
12-31-2005, 01:52 AM
Was Limping #15? If so, I'm commiting for #16 slot.
You guys are BAD. Now I'm gonna need to buy a 45-70 rifle. {oo}
Till then I'll try to make 'em work in my 5 .45 Colt rifles and Bisley.
I'll monitor this thread till the Honcho signs on. Pepe Ray

Cayoot
12-31-2005, 09:09 AM
If you guys haven't included me in on this....please do.

moodyholler
12-31-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm good for one myself!!! TIA, moodyholler

Dr. A
01-02-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm in for one as well.

I also interested in the potential for SBS or shrunken bullet syndrome as described by Dan of Mountain Molds. Could this be why so many of the measurements are off on other grup buys?

Excuse my ignorance.

David

MGySgt
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Before I commit to one I want to know if it is a GC or Plain Base. I like to shoot my Marlin GG but my 450grs kill my shoulder after while. Also for most hunting a 450gr isn't needed.

My vote is for a GC

Drew

Bear4570
01-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Guess I have to get in on this also, makes no never mind to me, pb or gc.

grumble
01-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Looks like we're up to 20 people wanting molds. The number may vary by a couple either way for some who might want more than one mold or those who don't want the design agreed to by consensus.

This is an easy one for a new honcho. Someone willing to take on the project now that most of the work is done?

Buckshot
01-22-2006, 06:10 AM
Looks like we're up to 20 people wanting molds. The number may vary by a couple either way for some who might want more than one mold or those who don't want the design agreed to by consensus.

This is an easy one for a new honcho. Someone willing to take on the project now that most of the work is done?

....................And the silence was deafening:violin::coffeecom[smilie=6:[smilie=2:

:bigsmyl2: ........................Buckshot

grumble
01-22-2006, 01:12 PM
That's ok, Buckshot. If it goes, it goes, if it doesn't, it won't. <G>

Bodydoc447
01-22-2006, 10:59 PM
I hope you counted me in on this one.

Doc

TCLouis
01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
I hope you counted me in as likely suspect for this one!

grumble
01-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Yep, I counted both you guys.

Looks like this project will just fade into the mist as another good idea with not enough interest. That's fine, though. Maybe it will be revived later.

slug
02-03-2006, 05:22 PM
If we're just a few short for a .45/70 six banger, I'll buy 4 or 5 and sell them to some Canuckleheads up here.
Stew in Sudbury.

MGySgt
02-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Sorry - I got confused on this one - What is the final verdict on the design?

Where can I see the design, size, GC/PB?

Gas Check I am in, Plain Base I am out.

Drew

grumble
02-03-2006, 07:26 PM
This project is going nowhere until it gets a honcho. The honcho will have to work out the numbers for a final design.

The numbers are there to make it viable, but no one wants to step up to the plate to make it happen.

Buckshot
02-04-2006, 09:27 AM
...............ISSUES!

1) Honcho: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ................................

2) GC or no GC: Shall I put up a sticky for a 2 week vote period? A: GC, B: No GC, C: Either. Only one vote!

3) Size: As per a conversation on the 375 bullet current'y seeking a honcho and some direction. Shall the mould cavity dimensions be spec'd to a certain diameter to be cut?

I can put the sticky up no problem. The size deal will need some input from people willing to get the cavity OD and then mike boolit bases after casting with a stated alloy (ideally in an aluminum 45 cal mould).

.....................Buckshot

porkchop bob
02-04-2006, 09:24 PM
...............ISSUES!
2) GC or no GC: Shall I put up a sticky for a 2 week vote period? A: GC, B: No GC, C: Either. Only one vote!
.....................Buckshot
Consider a sticky for design as shown in reply #7 at about 360 grain, with option A - flat base and B - GC.

Bob

charlie / sw mo
02-04-2006, 11:13 PM
count me in on whatevers decided
charlie in sw mo

Buckshot
02-05-2006, 05:34 AM
...............A Sticky Poll has been posted, re: GC, no GC, Don't care. Poll runs 20 days. Maybe we'll have a honcho by then :-)

........................Buckshot

Buckshot
04-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Bump.

zuke
04-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Put me in for one also! :Fire:

TCLouis
04-30-2006, 02:45 PM
on this order.

350 grain 0.460" diameter and is it PB or GC.

If'n we get moving it will be ready for meat gathering this fall.

I just want something to hunt with and plink at fun kinda velocities.
If I wanted to suffer to blast away with 458 Mag I would get one.
It is a 45-70 workhorse, lets keep at that.

Ok, now where were we on this one, I have slept since then!

Here's my money ready to place on the table! !

Or I just go back to my 300-325 RCBS DC molds (PB and GC).

Bodydoc447
04-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Ranch Dog is running a 460-350 TL GC group buy right now. Maybe we ought to do this one as a PB with regular grease grooves. What sayeth the crowd?

Doc

45 2.1
04-30-2006, 09:05 PM
A Fat plain base with deep grooves suitable for blackpowder, plinking or sizing down to 45 colt or casull would work well here.

Catshooter
05-01-2006, 08:12 PM
45 2.1 can draw up this boolit with lube grooves that will work with the Holy Black as well as smokeless powder, and no gas check.

I am willing to honcho a buy for such a boolit, but I don't want to interfere with RanchDog's group buy for a very similar design. His is set up for tumble lube now, and he's thinking of changing it slightly for use lubrisizer types. It won't work for Black, and it has a gas check.

Is anyone interested in this boolit, 350 grain, no gas check, lube grooves for smokelsess or black powder?

TCLouis
05-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Deep grooves, plain base.

The designs are so different they should NOT compete for buyers.

Bodydoc447
05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
I'd be interested in such a beastie. can't have too many .45-70 moulds.

Doc

tall grass
05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Catshooter

I'm interested in a plain base. It can be heavier than 350 grains even up to 405. 350 is fine though just as long as it's at least 0.460 dia.

Jim