PDA

View Full Version : Drill press depth stop

crabo
10-31-2008, 01:14 AM
I have this drill press and I am looking for something that I can add so that I can controll the depth of holes that I drill.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100037270

I can't find anything on the web. Any ideas?

Jon K
10-31-2008, 03:10 AM
crabo,

I believe, that the depth stop cotrol for this drill press is at the base of the handle shaft. The round housing should have measurement lines for depth around it, with a locking adjustment, this is to set depth. Since you have a left/right availability for the handle, it could be on either or both.

I'll try to stop by Home Depot to look at it tomorrow.

Jon

Calamity Jake
10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
IT does have a depth control adjustment on the handle shaft next to the frame The instruction book will explane how to set it up.

10-x
10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Depending on how "accurate" the depth has to be, a majic marker or paint stick mark on the bit is a quick easy way.
OTOH, the stop is the most accurate.:-D

crabo
10-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Amazing what you can find when you look at your manual. I am thinking about this case trimmer. Anyone ever tried it?

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/power_trimmers.htm

Thanks guys.

Jon K
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I have one..............Love it.
I have used it to make many wildcats, as well as normal trimming.

Down side.......won't do 45-70.

Jon

bdoyle
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I have one of those Forster trimmers set up on my floor stand drill press. Works real good but the adjustment can be a bit tiresome. I was looking at a small table top but the drill stop was plastic and has about .030 play. The stop on the feed arm is much more positive but just try to adjust .005. I am going to get one but I will set up a travel indicator and raise or lower the table. Just watch the drill chuck runout - some are real bad, almost .060. Looking at Lowes, Home Depot and Harbor Freight, Harbor Fright looked better for the money.
Brian

crabo
10-31-2008, 11:20 PM
What does a travel indicator look like? Are you talking about using a dial indicator? I am confused on how I could adjust .005. I know with the stop I have now, I would never get it to be repeatable, if I ever got there.

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/products/Magnetic-Base-Dial-Indicator-Combo-President-s-Special/G9849

I guess raising and lowering the table is the way to go with the chuck all the way up. I am guessing I would want to trim every piece of brass I have once I get it set.

Is it pretty fast to trim? How do you set yours up?

Thanks,

bdoyle
11-01-2008, 12:55 PM
The indicator you referenced has 1 inch travel. If you were to attach the mag base to the steel post of the drill press and touch the indicator to the table, verticlenmovement of the table could be measured. Forster likes the base attached to the table but I just hold it by hand. I guess it could then spin but I am not taking a big cut. I'll see if I can get some pictures up later today.
You can run thru a lot of brass rather quickly with this setup.
Brian

bdoyle
11-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Well, had a power outage last evening so I just went to sleep early. I had 200 pcs LC 308 once fired to process. Average trim was .015. Took 60 to 70 minutes to finish. Didn't tighten the chuck enough and my trim length started to creep after a few pieces. Once fixed length held +-.002. That was the extreme most held +-.001. My setup is not the most convenient, will to get a table top press soon to set up on a bench so I have horizontal surfaces to set stuff on.

To set the indicator, after setting a quill stop, I slowly raised the table till the cutter made contact with the brass. After measuring the brass, note the indicator and finish raising the table the required amount. I did have the table clamp just tight enough to allow movement but no shifting when I tighten the clamp to lock.
Brian

KCSO
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I have one set up as a dedicated case trimmer and it works fine. I do like the dial indicator set up though.

C A Plater
11-03-2008, 02:04 AM
I have one and use it on my Harbor Freight Micro Mill but only use it for bulk trimming of reformed cases like the .357 Herret. It is easier to get fine depth control adjustments with the little mill. Mostly I just use the the regular trimmer because the setup is quicker when doing 100 or fewer cases.