PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to reload. Frankford Arsenal Press

Pressman
08-09-2019, 09:28 PM
More to follow about this. I am trying to figure it out sans instructions. I think I have it now. I ordered screws to mount it this afternoon. They should be here is a week or so.
I have two die sets, US .30 caliber, Model 1898 and US 30 caliber Model 1906. I am working with the 1906 case.

This is a very over engineered setup. Pictured is a quick cell phone shot of the press. Other pieces include a de-primer, primer seater, powder measure and bullet seater. Each one of these is a separate tool. The tools in the set are marked 1908.

Ken

JBinMN
08-09-2019, 11:25 PM
Posting to "follow".
;)

jimkim
08-10-2019, 12:39 AM
It looks like you could modify Wilson dies to work in it. I want to see how much runout you get.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Pressman
08-10-2019, 09:09 AM
I have the sizing figured out. After some fussing I remembered reading that there was a 2 piece die. That explains what the little short die looking piece is. It is a neck sizer, the main die is a body die. Neither touch the shoulder.
I sized a case and checked it in the check die, perfect fit.
Next is decapping. This is straight forward, no complications. Slip the case over the stem, lower it into the shellholder and push the primer out, and onto the floor. No provision for catching them.

rancher1913
08-10-2019, 10:24 AM
your title was deceptive enough that I thought it was some noob with a bunch of stupid questions until I saw who it was by, now I just want to see that thing work

Pressman
08-10-2019, 11:41 AM
I tried posting this straight from the cell phone, without success.

The de-priming press in operation. The spent primers fall through a hole in the bottom of the press, to the floor.

The main press is a sizer only, all other operations require a separate press.

Bent Ramrod
08-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Ken,

Those are certainly artifacts of the heroic days of reloading, where it was thought that precision was only achievable if there was 50 lb of cast iron driving the process. I would have thought that there would be an Army TP or TM on how to use the thing. They wrote them for everything else. Did you check with the Government Printing Office?

Very interesting thread. Those FA tools are rare as hens’ teeth.

Pressman
08-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Dave there is a manual for the tools, just that I don't have it. I looked at the USGPO site and didn't find anything, does not mean that there is none available there, just cannot find it.

I plan on putting this series, done up in a more professional manner, in the Journal, this fall or in March depending on what additional topics I can find to write about.

Ken

Pressman
08-11-2019, 07:46 AM
The next step is inserting a primer into the case. First the appropriate case holder die is installed in the priming press. Then load the tray with primers, insure that the ram is in the correct orientation. It is reversible for large and small primers. Insert the case and slide the primer over the primer pocket, lowering the lever seats the primer. The leverage is good and gives plenty of feel.

Green Frog
08-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Wow, talk about overkill! All that cast iron is enough to set my little froggie heart to racing! I can’t wait for a complete step by step description of loading on that set up. “More, please.”

Froggie

Hamish
08-11-2019, 11:53 AM
You have no idea (well, I guess you do, don't you) how this picture sang to me. I could actually feel my fingers sliding over the cool, smooth tray, moving a primer towards the pocket,,,,,

Such lovely little bits!

Pressman
08-11-2019, 04:00 PM
After the case is primed the next step is adding powder. This is were things get a bit tricky. Without the instruction booklet there is no way to tell how to set the measure. And, setting the measure has some pitfalls also. The brass ring at the bottom is held on with a set screw, however the ring maybe rotated 360 degrees. Around the bottom sloped edge there are index marks, 0-5 with steps in between but trying to see them requires some serious neck twisting.
To adjust the capacity there is a tool that is inserted into the measure as shown, the handle must be down. There are also index mark rings on the shaft, one full turn equals one ring. As powder scales were generally not available during this time period the users had to rely on a chart supplied with the tool set.

Then insert the case mouth into the bottom of the measure and drop the powder charge.

For those who may be wondering, there was a change to the measure in 1909, the large brass funnel hopper was replaced with the nickle plate brass tube. So, yes this is correct.

Pressman
08-12-2019, 02:54 PM
It's time to seat a boolit. Ensure that the shellholder is for the correct cartridge and the shellholder die is adjusted for the length of the cartridge. Install the correct boolit seating die then insert boolit and lower the handle. There is a setscrew to provide a stop for correct overall cartridge length.
The press is heavy and operates with a gear to move the "ram. The die will provide a good crimp on cartridges that require it.

LUBEDUDE
08-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Congrats on your great acquisition Ken! What a great addition to your collection.

I had no idea that the sizing press was for only one function. I have wanted one for years. Now that I see that it is only one piece of the puzzle it may be impossible to find another complete set like yours.

Thanks for sharing!

Char-Gar
08-14-2019, 12:53 PM
That certainly will get the job done but to our minds today is way to complex. Of course early reloading tool all some some quirky ways. It is no wonder the Pacific C with 7/8 X 14 dies (1930), changed the way we look at reloading. Even with it's solid head ram, the Pacific was an mechanical marvel in it's day, due to it's simplicity.

dverna
08-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Nice post and very interesting.