PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! newbie first cast

jasdebcr
10-30-2008, 06:06 PM
hey guys i am tring to cast my first set of boolits and i need a little help. i have ww lead and i did flux it with wax. i heated my mold but when i pour it get wrinkle boolits. what do i need to fix? i am pouring boolits as i type.

thanks

docone31
10-30-2008, 06:14 PM
More heat!!!
Wheel weight should pour smoothly, if the mold is hot enough.
Crank up the melt, heat up the mold.

looseprojectile
10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
The major things that cause wrinkles are, mould not clean enough, no tin in the alloy, alloy not clean, mould not hot enough, metal not hot enough or a combination of some or all of the above. If you are casting pure lead say for a muzzel loader, it is acceptable to have some slight wrinkles. Tin added to the melt in small quantities,[solder] does help eliminate wrinkles if all else is right. If you started with wheel weights Docone is right on.
Welcome and get back to us when you find success.

Life is good

mooman76
10-30-2008, 08:06 PM
More heat and keep casting. Don't worry about the wrinkles. You're not wasting lead cause it all goes back into the pot. The faster you go the hotter the mould will get and the good bullets will follow but if you are figeting around worrying about the good bullets it will take longer to get there.

docone31
10-30-2008, 08:19 PM
That is so true!
I have had a marginal start to a casting session, and if I just keep on casting fairly rapidly, the wrinkles get less untill they are gone. At that speed of casting, if the sprue runs when cutting, slow down a little. Especially if the casting pours out after cutting the sprue and dumping it into the pot. If the sprue gets followed by the casting, it is time to relax a bit.
I have shot very wrinkled castings and was satisfied with the results.
Just keep on casting, you will get the touch.

jasdebcr
10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
i got the mold hotter and poured faster and it worked out great thanks to everyone.:lovebooli

copdills
10-31-2008, 04:27 AM
more heat maybe a little tin , the more you cast the more you learn and better boolits will come

1Shirt
10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
After a few thousand you will really get the hang of it!
1Shirt!:coffee::coffee:

Boerrancher
10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
I am glad you figured it out. My first rule to casting is, "If the mould is clean, and the alloy is clean, add more heat until you get the fill out you want on your castings."

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

dardascastbullets
11-01-2008, 02:54 PM
hey guys i am tring to cast my first set of boolits and i need a little help. i have ww lead and i did flux it with wax. i heated my mold but when i pour it get wrinkle boolits. what do i need to fix? i am pouring boolits as i type.

thanks

Your metal is starving for Tin! You have stated that you are using straight wheel weights which will have little if none of Tin. Your bullets will always look wrinkled no matter what temperature you try to cast at. In fact, the usual tendency is that 'the more heat' the better it must be. That cannot be further from the truth. You should be able to cast excellent, very high quality bullets in a temperature range of 690-725 degrees F (depending on your mould speed). The Tin will greatly aid in the 'wetting' properties of your metal.

In addition to the lack of Tin, you most likely have contamination of stray metals such as Copper and Arsenic. These two elements will surely make you a premature baldy if you indeed have them in your metal. No matter what you try to cure the problem they will destroy the quality of your bullets.

I trust that this information will help you.

waksupi
11-01-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm betting on oil or other contaminant in the mold, or too cold. I never have had to add tin to wheel weights, unless I was pouring .22 cal. boollits.