PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody ID the manufacturer

quack1
07-31-2019, 09:43 PM
I was given some bullets pulled from 25-20 brass. They were all the same, except for these two. I've never seen a bullet with 5 canalures and am curious what company made them. No idea how old they are, the brass was stamped Rem-UMC, but I'm pretty sure the rounds were handloads. They weigh 86 grains.
Any ideas?
https://i.imgur.com/UfiivRzm.jpg

Traffer
07-31-2019, 10:14 PM
My guess would be that they had those cannelures added with one of the hand tools. I have never seen anything commercial like that either.

country gent
07-31-2019, 10:22 PM
Possibly a loverign design bullet by lyman or some other. Do the bands have a taper to them?

Bazoo
07-31-2019, 10:26 PM
That is odd. Neat though, thanks for sharing.

Wayne Smith
08-01-2019, 07:50 AM
If it is a tapered design - front band smaller, than each one down a little larger, then it may be a Pope design.

quack1
08-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Traffer- I thought about that, but why would you take the time to roll in all the extra canelures? If it were me, I'd just roll in one cannelure where I wanted it, and be done.
Country gent & Wayne Smith- Not a tapered bullet, .257 top to bottom

FISH4BUGS
08-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Are you sure those are cannelures and not lube grooves? Many old bullet designs have many lube grooves....certainly more than one or two.
I shoot a 25-20 (1924 made Savage Sporter) and have a few moulds for it.

roysha
08-01-2019, 10:41 AM
I would wager it is a Loverin style, perhaps not his specific design, but his had multiple small lube groves with a quite short nose. If I recall correctly, any given bullet could be had with or without GC and generally the weight was increased/decreased by adding or subtracting a driving band.

The tiny lube grooves could be a pain to cast if everything wasn't just right, but if it was, they shot great! Biggest problem was that with some weights, one had to seat the bullet out so far the lube was exposed. Of course, shooting from the bench that would not be an issue but otherwise it was a bit of a mess to deal with, especially on really warm days and the older softer lubes. With todays high temp lubes , not so much of a problem as long as they are kept clean.

Google Lyman and Ideal Mold Descriptions and it will give you a pretty good idea of what you have.

cupter
08-01-2019, 11:04 AM
looks at 1st glance....and old Lyman/Ideal known as the 25720.............
Having 5 "lube groves".......
source: Lyman "handbook of Cast Bullets" circa 1957 Page 105

Good Luck
Cupter :coffee::coffee:

quack1
08-01-2019, 02:07 PM
They are jacketed bullets, not cast. They are canelures, not lube grooves. A bigger picture might help.

https://i.imgur.com/UfiivRzl.jpg

Bazoo
08-01-2019, 02:19 PM
I did enjoy watching folks not noticing that they were jacketed bullets.

I'll guess they were made by a home swager as an experiment who liked the loverin cast bullets.

roysha
08-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Naughty, naughty, misleading folks like that. :bigsmyl2: I tried to enlarge the photo but it would not and they sure LOOKED cast. Oh well. Now I understand the reference to the cannelure appearing groove. All in all, interesting.

Traffer
08-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Traffer- I thought about that, but why would you take the time to roll in all the extra canelures? If it were me, I'd just roll in one cannelure where I wanted it, and be done.
Country gent & Wayne Smith- Not a tapered bullet, .257 top to bottom

An amateur reloader very well might think it was good to add lube grooves to a jacketed bullet...especially way back in the early days of a 25-20 jacketed bullet.

Cheshire Dave
08-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Over on the Marlin owners website they have pictures of those same factory bullets with a waxy lube. Some of the early Factory loads had bullet lube on jacketed bullets

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

GL49
08-03-2019, 11:36 AM
I think that's an old Winchester/Western "Lubaloy" bullet. Cheshire Dave is right, go poke around on the Marlin owners site and you'll find the picture. I think I've got some really old 25-20 cartridges in the garage, I may have tossed them out during the "great purge" of everything I don't use and never going to use. Now I'm gonna go look. They even used to be in an old blue and yellow box.

DeputyDuke
08-03-2019, 10:35 PM
I had some 38-55 jacketed I pull from C.I.L. I think. Canadian Industries Limited. The box may have said Canuck. They looked much like those bullets.
Duke

Bazoo
08-04-2019, 12:41 AM
Maybe it was a way tried to get higher velocity but keep pressures down for older guns. Less bearing surface.

quack1
08-04-2019, 05:44 PM
GL49 wins, good memory.
After a lot of searching, I finally found the picture on the Marlin owners site. That bullet was pulled from 25-20 Winchester/Western ammunition made in the 30's. The picture shows some sort of lube in the lower three cannelures. I'm pretty sure the ammunition the bullets in my picture were pulled from was handloaded, not factory, so that is probably why there isn't any lube in them.
Thanks everyone.

Bazoo
08-04-2019, 09:51 PM
That's neat info, thanks for letting us know.