PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Customer Service

odinohi
07-29-2019, 04:10 PM
This may be old news for you guys, but news to me. I have 3 ProMelt furnaces that I use alot. On one of them the on/off switch burned up and all three needs new pots and shut-off rods.
They tell me they no longer cover these things. You have to buy the parts, and when they run out of parts it's, " sorry about your luck"!
Never thought this would happen to RCBS. I need a bottom pour that can go,go,go! What else is out there? I know the next one will not be a RCBS. They lost my business for sure

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mattw
07-29-2019, 04:47 PM
Yup, ran into that myself. I was a little shocked. That will eventually be the end of my pro melt. I guess I will buy a pot and one more rod and hope it outlives me.

lefty o
07-29-2019, 07:33 PM
most companies wont cover anything electrical for anything more than a year. just the way it is. they do excellent on everything else though.

porthos
07-29-2019, 07:41 PM
RCBS also has a lot of stuff made in Chine. i for one will never again buy RCBS for that reason.

bob208
07-29-2019, 08:04 PM
I have layman. first pot I had after 12 years use the thermostat burned out sent it back for repairs I was willing to pay. two weeks later I got it back with a new part from a larger furnace . bill read no charge. so I bought a new 20 lb pot to use for mixed lead and kept the repaired 10 lb. for pure lead.

tommag
07-30-2019, 12:59 AM
I looked at buying an rcbs pot. After reading a bunch about it, it became apparent that this ain't your fathers rcbs. Sad...

EDG
07-30-2019, 01:26 AM
It is sort of unreasonable to expect an infinite parts availability for an electronic item.
When you buy such a gadget in the future you might consider buying some of the critical replacement parts for use when the inevitable wear and tear has to be repaired.

Conditor22
07-30-2019, 01:39 AM
Sad to hear this about RCBS pots.

I started with Lee 4-20 and haven't found a good reason to "upgrade" it. Slapped a PID on it and a couple of other little tweaks and she keeps on ticking. can't even begin to estimate how many thousands of pounds of lead have gone through it.

Never owned an RCBS pot so don't know what the warranty is on them.

rcslotcar
07-30-2019, 03:19 AM
I have used my Ohio Thermal Pro Melt (pre rcbs) for many years the only thing to wear out was the off/on switch and got a new one (generic) on Ebay. I have cast tons of lead and can't imagine how the pots could go bad on all three.

cheese1566
07-30-2019, 08:06 AM
Can’t expect a lifetime of parts, especially free. This is true for any businesses. I had the same with Hornady and my original Pro-7 that transitioned to the Projector. I eventually had to pay a swap to a new LNL since parts exhausted.

RCBS has always treated me right whenever possible. Guess I’ll keep my second ProMelt around for the day my first gives out.

Plus, is there any of the major reloading equipment companies still making everything in the US?

richhodg66
07-30-2019, 08:06 AM
Funny, the three or four times I have needed RCBS customer support, they were superb.

It does make me wonder how long someone expects a company to keep parts on hand for a discontinued item? Seems unrealistic to bash someone for not providing you parts for something they don't make anymore.

Never used an RCBS pot, using a Lyman 61 for a while now and have another one on the shelf when this one gives up. Pretty happy with it.

rockrat
07-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Just got off the phone with RCBS, to order a few parts for a used Pro Melt 1 I bought the other day. Guy was great to talk with and parts are on their way without charge!

Lloyd Smale
07-30-2019, 03:26 PM
I guess I don't expect chevy to stock parts for a 59 impala or fix if for me if it breaks for free. Rcbs has replaced my power trimmer twice with brand new ones in the last 20 years. Sure wish my car truck motorcyles, atvs boats even my wife came with a warantee like that. Bottom line is rcbs is one of the most standup companys in our hobby. Heck probably the best service of any company anywhere for anything. Heck pretty easy to pick up a rocker switch on ebay or just tie the wires together and plug it in when you want to use it and unplug it when your done. Anyone with a lathe could probably cut you a new rod in 15 minutes. Heck id about bet if you took your old one to lowes or menards you might even find a center punch that would work. Might take a bit of lapping with a drill to get it to seat. Got to say if you wore out 3 metering rods you must be a bullet casting for a living. No clue how much lead youd have to go through to actually wear one out but it sure would be measured by the ton. My guess is a little bit of lapping compound and they would be back as good as new.

FLINTNFIRE
08-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Well I have called the 1 800 number about 15 times these last two weeks at least and still have only got to voice recording how they are at a meeting and try back later , oh I filled out the online contact information , still no reply . I bought one of the rcbs promelt2 and I have heard there is a replacement seat valve that stops the constant dripping , but rcbs customer service does not seem to be what it was years ago when you called and a person answered . I have used lapping compound on a older one I bought and it did slow down the drips , will try again monday , sooner or later they should be available and have all the meetings concluded one would hope.

Mal Paso
08-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Last times I called all calls were routed through Vista Outdoor or whatever parent company before routing to Oroville. RCBS is on a leash from the parent company and it's getting shorter. The first time I called years ago they gave me $50 worth of parts and paid shipping. Great idea, customers think you're grand and you don't have the billing overhead, so long as you charge enough on the original sale. And it's contrary to Vista Outdoor's business model.

odinohi
08-02-2019, 11:15 AM
I guess I don't expect chevy to stock parts for a 59 impala or fix if for me if it breaks for free. Rcbs has replaced my power trimmer twice with brand new ones in the last 20 years. Sure wish my car truck motorcyles, atvs boats even my wife came with a warantee like that. Bottom line is rcbs is one of the most standup companys in our hobby. Heck probably the best service of any company anywhere for anything. Heck pretty easy to pick up a rocker switch on ebay or just tie the wires together and plug it in when you want to use it and unplug it when your done. Anyone with a lathe could probably cut you a new rod in 15 minutes. Heck id about bet if you took your old one to lowes or menards you might even find a center punch that would work. Might take a bit of lapping with a drill to get it to seat. Got to say if you wore out 3 metering rods you must be a bullet casting for a living. No clue how much lead youd have to go through to actually wear one out but it sure would be measured by the ton. My guess is a little bit of lapping compound and they would be back as good as new.Trust me Lloyd, I will be babying these things from now on. I use these pots to pour sinkers, lots of sinkers

odinohi
08-02-2019, 11:17 AM
I have used my Ohio Thermal Pro Melt (pre rcbs) for many years the only thing to wear out was the off/on switch and got a new one (generic) on Ebay. I have cast tons of lead and can't imagine how the pots could go bad on all three.They don't all go bad at the same time, but they do go bad. Sometimes it's my fault and sometimes not

David2011
08-02-2019, 05:55 PM
most companies wont cover anything electrical for anything more than a year. just the way it is. they do excellent on everything else though.

I can understand not warrantying the electrical PARTS but to deny warranty on the mechanical portion of a device seems wrong.

Can’t expect a lifetime of parts, especially free. This is true for any businesses. I had the same with Hornady and my original Pro-7 that transitioned to the Projector. I eventually had to pay a swap to a new LNL since parts exhausted.

If the company advertises a lifetime warranty then yes, I can expect them to follow through. Very generously. RCBS replaced the pot and rod for my Pro-Melt a few years ago and I installed them. I think the parts were sent at no charge. RCBS specifies that their warranties apply only to the original purchaser of an item whether the warranties are lifetime or for a specified period of time. Dillon doesn't care how many people have owned their product; warranty is forever except on electrical items.

richhodg66
08-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Well I have called the 1 800 number about 15 times these last two weeks at least and still have only got to voice recording how they are at a meeting and try back later , oh I filled out the online contact information , still no reply . I bought one of the rcbs promelt2 and I have heard there is a replacement seat valve that stops the constant dripping , but rcbs customer service does not seem to be what it was years ago when you called and a person answered . I have used lapping compound on a older one I bought and it did slow down the drips , will try again monday , sooner or later they should be available and have all the meetings concluded one would hope.

Not sure what's going on. I called them about a week and a half ago to get a replacement spent primer cup for my Rockchucker. Answered first try by a real live human being who was very helpful and it was here in about four days free of charge.

FLINTNFIRE
08-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Sent another contact form as customer service is monday through thursday , I do not know whats up either years ago if you called it was a person answered , no waiting queue or no voice mail , not the end of the world but is disappointing as dillon answers or puts you on hold .

FLINTNFIRE
08-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Got a email the service rep. said they had phone outage one day , but before 7 this morning they had sent email sending part for promelt2 and asked for clarification on parts for promelt , I replied and thanked them for response and listed what I needed offered to pay and received reply that parts were being sent and no payment required all within the space of 15 minutes , Thank you rcbs.

youngmman
08-05-2019, 03:19 PM
I use a Magma Master Pot and it is outstanding.

odinohi
08-08-2019, 04:16 AM
I use a Magma Master Pot and it is outstanding.I mainly would use it with sinker molds with many separate cavities. I looked at a photo but not sure how the mold guide works?

6bg6ga
08-08-2019, 08:08 AM
RCBS service is top notch. Dillon could learn a thing or two from them. When I had a die problem RCBS sent out a replacement . When I had a Dillon problem I answered about thirty questions everything from was I running any aftermarket parts on it to what did I use for grease. Dillon was trying to get out of taking care of my problem. Its unfortunate that there attitude changed after Mike passed.