PDA

View Full Version : Need some help / Most popular cast bullets

whatnickname
07-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Im new to this form but not new to the shooting sports. I’m reaching the point where I’m going to have to consider retirement. Only problem is that I’m just not wired to sit and do nothing. I used to cast my own bullets years ago and enjoyed it. I’m giving some serious thought to starting a business that I can ramp up for a few years before I finally hang up my track shoes in the corporate world. Of course there’s no way to cast bullets manually...just not enough hours in the day to cast any significant number of bullets by hand. My estimate of the capital outlay to get started is around $100,000 which will be no problem. I’m going to go with the automated equipment manufactured by Magma Engineering. Here’s the rub...and where I need some help. These machines are set up to run eight molds on a carousel. That’s $800 for one caliber and bullet profile. I’m going to start out offering 20 different bullets. The obvious choices are:

357 / 358

148 grain wad cutter

158 grain SWC Keith Type

240 grain SWC Keith Type

200 Grain Round Nose / Flat Point

45 ACP

200 grain SWC Bevel Base (Saeco #68)

45 Colt

255 grain SWC Keith Type

That’s six choices. What I would like to know is what other calibers and profiles are most popular, particularly black powder rifle bullets, that you feel would sell well. Thank in advance for your help.

sigep1764
07-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Don't overlook the most popular semi auto caliber right now, 9mm.

Burnt Fingers
07-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Personally I'd do a LOT of research before I started a bullet casting business. There have been a few go out of business the past couple of years. Many people are moving over to plated bullets.

Your going to need a steady supply of alloy. You're going to have to deal with the EPA, which would be a non-starter for me right there.

If you're really interested you might see if the Dardas bullet company is still available.

nvbirdman
07-27-2019, 02:00 PM
In 45acp, I would add the 452374.
Don't forget, you will need a federal ammunition license.

Conditor22
07-27-2019, 02:38 PM
You also need to decide if you are going to lube them, HiTek coat them or both.

Not a lot of profit and a lot of heavy work with possible exposure to lead and other chemicals.

whatnickname
07-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Not making live ammo which requires a class 06 Federal license...all I intend to do is cast the projectiles. Last time I looked this didn’t require a Federal license.

RED BEAR
07-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Well i wish you luck .

David2011
07-27-2019, 11:35 PM
In 45acp, I would add the 452374.
Don't forget, you will need a federal ammunition license.

An ITAR license at $2500/year is required as well because all cast lead boolits are military grade hardware.

Whatnickname, I know two commercial casters in South Louisiana that have been in business for a long time so it can be done. One buys alloy from a foundry so he doesn't have to deal with variables in his lead supply. If you still decide it's worth it, don't forget the Cowboy Action shooters. There are FAR more of them than USPSA/IPSC shooters and virtually all of them handload. They need round nosed flat point boolits that will load in lever action rifles in addition to shooting them in single action revolvers.

Welcome to Castboolits!

Don1357
07-28-2019, 03:58 AM
Last year there was a proposed regulatory change that would remove bullet manufacturing from itar requirements. Whatever happened with that?

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/sys_attachment.do?sys_id=f3e8018edb0ed300c53a7d321 f961963

Wayne Smith
07-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Not making live ammo which requires a class 06 Federal license...all I intend to do is cast the projectiles. Last time I looked this didn’t require a Federal license.

Read more carefully. That law includes components, which includes boolits and bullets. It's not a big deal, $10 a year and an inspection or two. You will also need a local business license and set aside money for the Hillman/Robertson (?) tax on sporting goods.