PDA

View Full Version : imperial sizing wax formula

porthos
07-25-2019, 02:43 PM
a couple years ago i wrote the formula down ( 15 oz. castrol stick wax and 2 oz. anhydrous lanolin) . finally decided to make some; but, there a few different types of castrol stick wax. anyone know what kind i should use? i know, just buy the imperial wax; but i like to make stuff.

jimkim
07-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Watching this. I use Bag Balm. It's close enough for me.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

porthos
07-25-2019, 07:41 PM
several good case sizing lubes out there. BUT i think that imperial sizing die wax is still the best. Because of the ease of removing it!! and as stated i like to make stuff

bangerjim
07-26-2019, 11:46 AM
I use the Unique brand of sizing "wax". A small can goes a L_O_N_G way! Many MANY thousands of cases sized and there is still over 3/4 of the can left. Why bother making it? I is very inexpensive to buy.

country gent
07-26-2019, 12:30 PM
One of the old timers at the club swore by unsalted Crisco for sizing lube. What I might try is 10 parts Crisco unsalted shortening 1 part anhydrous lanolin and 1 small drop of murpies oil soap. Melt in double boiler add lanolin and soap stir till completely blended. A little canola or steam oil if you want a softer mix. Next would be Vaseline and lanolin

porthos
07-26-2019, 12:35 PM
i wan't to make IMPERIAL SIZING DIE WAX; nothing else. it will cost me more to make it than to buy a lifetime supply. i just asked if anyone knows what type of castrol stick wax is used, if anyone knows?

WheelgunConvert
07-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Looks like the 140 is now the only version available in the US according to the Castrol website. There’s enough machinists on here that probably have a few lifetimes supply of the other ones.

Imperial was the lube that got me back on track early in my TCM adventure.

If you take the time to cast, why wouldn’t you wanna home brew another portion of your process components? Good luck. Even if it’s a little different I am confident that it will be satisfactory.