PDA

View Full Version : Screwdrivers

Thumbcocker
07-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Can someone recommend a set of good gunsmith type screwdrivers? I am ok with paying a bit more for something that is quality and will last a while.

obssd1958
07-24-2019, 10:59 AM
I have the Wheeler set. I've been using them for probably 10 years, but I'm just a hobbyist, not a professional! I like 'em and haven't had any issues whatsoever.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/439523/wheeler-engineering-89-piece-professional-plus-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set

wv109323
07-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Grace or Brownells

Land Owner
07-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Brownells has this $20 (plus shipping) "shotgun" set with which you can use ALL of your existing hex headed bits in its magnetic tip. This one may say "Remington Shotgun" in its description, but the handle accepts ALL.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/remington-870-1100-shotgun-screwdriver-sets-prod25475.aspx

country gent
07-24-2019, 11:22 AM
I have a couple sets of the bonanza hollow ground drivers I like but they don't always have just the right size. Brownells have a good selection of screw drivers both standard and hollow ground. I like the hollow ground bits. For a simple set the chapman drivers arnt bad.

MostlyLeverGuns
07-24-2019, 11:30 AM
I have the Wheeler's and the Brownell's. I like the Brownell's better because the bit sizes are graduated and a slightly larger or smaller bit can be selected with little effort. The Wheeler is well made and has a similar assortment of bits numbered in a cryptic fashion with the bit number having no relationship to bit size. Mush easier to find the 'exact' fit with Brownell's. For handles, I prefer the 'mid-size Brownell's handle with the magnets. I have used the Brownell's clip-lock handle when parts can move due to the magnets but mostly the magnetic handles work more easily. Brownell's does have a few firearm specific bit sets that do work well for those guns: Marlin, S&W... I've got Lyman, Pachmayr, B-Square but the Brownell's are the easiest to use. (50+ years of 'tinkering')

Slugster
07-24-2019, 11:35 AM
I prefer the Grace screwdrivers. The tips are hollow ground and that helps prevent them from "camming out" of the screw slots. My set has been in use since about 1990 and only ever had to replace one of them, and that was operator error. They used to have wooden handles which I prefer, could be in plastic now though.

gwpercle
07-24-2019, 04:28 PM
I have accumulated 3 small gunsmithing sets over the years , Midway , Brownell's and Pachmayer . All three have different sized bits and all eventually get worn , lost or broken. Small sets are OK but limited in bit selection . All three are designed for gunsmithing .
Those three small sets have served me well for 30+ years .
I decided it was time to get a nice new big set to cover a lot of screw sizes , slots, phillips , torx , allen ... and whatever else they have come up with .
Looked at plenty and went with a Wheeler Engineering Professional Screwdriver Set , 72 pieces.
I like it....lots of different sizes and geared toward gun screws . Reasonably priced too .
Gary

Shawlerbrook
07-24-2019, 04:41 PM
Grace

Butler Ford
07-24-2019, 05:02 PM
I have wheeler and Grace. Grace

Froogal
07-24-2019, 05:07 PM
I prefer the Grace screwdrivers. The tips are hollow ground and that helps prevent them from "camming out" of the screw slots. My set has been in use since about 1990 and only ever had to replace one of them, and that was operator error. They used to have wooden handles which I prefer, could be in plastic now though.

I just recently purchased a set of the Grace screwdrivers. Wooden handles. They are the very first actual gunsmithing screwdrivers that I have owned. I LIKE them.

rcslotcar
07-24-2019, 05:09 PM
I recently bought Grace and like the wooden handles.

skeettx
07-24-2019, 05:16 PM
And ALSO a set of these

https://chapmanmfg.com/pages/gunsmith-screwdriver-sets

Petrol & Powder
07-24-2019, 06:13 PM
Screwdrivers?

I've always liked well chilled Tropicana no-pulp with Ketel One vodka from the Netherlands.........[smilie=s:

smithnframe
07-24-2019, 06:29 PM
I use Grace and Chapman.

osteodoc08
07-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Brownells private brand has been used for some time now and work well for me. It’s jice to have 30+ flat heads of assorted thickness and length to fit exactly. They were my fathers before he passed.

xs11jack
07-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Grace. Have had a set since 1969.
Ole Jack

Minerat
07-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Mine are Forsters. Had since 85. Covers most of my
needs.

mattw
07-24-2019, 09:04 PM
I have 2 sets of Chapman, like them.

MT Gianni
07-24-2019, 09:19 PM
I have Brownells and Chapmans. You can never have enough.

Pressman
07-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Forsters are good. I have 6 sets from Brownells as they are the best and the handiest, in my not at all humble opinion. AS far as Wheeler is concerned I would never, ever buy anything from that Midway outfit.

The reason why is another story.

John D
07-24-2019, 10:15 PM
I've had a set of the Brownells since the mid '80's. I LIKE 'em

M-Tecs
07-24-2019, 10:30 PM
http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-gunsmith-screwdriver-set-review-wheeler-bits/

LUBEDUDE
07-24-2019, 11:07 PM
Forsters are good. I have 6 sets from Brownells as they are the best and the handiest, in my not at all humble opinion. AS far as Wheeler is concerned I would never, ever buy anything from that Midway outfit.

The reason why is another story.

Agree 100% ^^^

First time I used a Wheeler I broke a bit. Their sizing sucks compared to Brownells. I’ve never broken a Brownells, plus they have the old Sears Craftsman Type warranty; if you break it, send it back and get a free replacement.

Buy Brownells, cry once.

David2011
07-24-2019, 11:51 PM
The Chapman’s set was my first back in the late ‘70s and I haven’t broken anything yet. I’ve since added a Grace set and some Brownell’s tips. Apex tips also have the hollow ground shape and are extremely high quality. You’ll find them in many aircraft mechanics’ toolboxes. They’re about in line with the prices for Brownell’s though; just mentioned them because their metallurgy makes them hard to damage and they’re easy on fasteners. In my emergency hunting toolbox I carry a set of hardware store bits. They have a good profile although probably not true hollow ground shape. They’re still better than using tapered screwdrivers on firearms.

lightman
07-25-2019, 08:52 AM
I have a couple of different sets. A Brownells set with a lot of extras thrown in and a Chapman set. They both work well.

375supermag
07-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Hi...
Been using a Chapman set since back in the '70s or early '80s.
Had them for so long I can't really remember exactly when I first acquired them.
Work great...never a problem.

waksupi
07-25-2019, 11:11 AM
I do have a set of Wheelers. Even they won't fit every screw. Nowadays I make my own. I use flat 01 steel, since I have it around. Cut the blade to the shape you want, drill, temper the tip to a medium blue, then install wood handles.

Tatume
07-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Grace
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/screwdriver-set-prod6739.aspx

Brownells
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/fixed-blade-screwdriver-sets-prod41573.aspx

and Forster
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/gunsmith-screwdrivers-prod6634.aspx

are all excellent. Some people like mag tip screwdrivers, but I consider them to be a pain in the neck. Although I have several sets of Brownells mag tip handles and bits, I much prefer my fixed blade screwdrivers.

country gent
07-25-2019, 01:58 PM
I had a set of Pachmeyers I purchased at cabellas, seemed like every time I used one the end snapped off. I believe they were to hard or not annealed back enough and were brittle. A 6" file wouldn't touch this set of screw drivers.
I used the chapman sets at home and had a set in my box at work they were very good. Its better if you have a second or third handle when you need 2 or 3 sizes repeatedly as it saves changing bits.
I have an insert driver I made for stock bolts that makes them easy. It accepts bits and a square driver for sockets. has 2 bushings on the shaft to center it and help align it. The bushing make getting the screwdriver bit into the slot a lot easier

Tatume
07-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Gunsmith screwdrivers are made hard because it is better to snap the tip than to twist it. If it twists, it will cam out of the screw head and bugger it. That said, you may have gotten a set that were too hard, which is also possible.

JoeJames
07-25-2019, 03:02 PM
I wish that someone would make a dedicated set for all S&W revolvers. The regular wheeler general set of bits ain't too bad, but when you get down to fairly early Smiths and especially for the bug screw, or the rear sights, I have had to just grind my own and re-temper. Several times I have cannibalized a cheap set of bits by grinding them down with my Dremel to fit and re-temper.

Kev18
07-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Grace. They are like 100$ for 5 though...

M-Tecs
07-25-2019, 03:29 PM
I wish that someone would make a dedicated set for all S&W revolvers. The regular wheeler general set of bits ain't too bad, but when you get down to fairly early Smiths and especially for the bug screw, or the rear sights, I have had to just grind my own and re-temper. Several times I have cannibalized a cheap set of bits by grinding them down with my Dremel to fit and re-temper.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/s-w-revolver-combo-prod406.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-USA-Pistolsmith-Screwdriver-Screwdrivers/dp/B00FMXRDDM

Tatume
07-25-2019, 04:12 PM
I wish that someone would make a dedicated set for all S&W revolvers.

Screw slot widths vary between screws, even the nominally same screw on two revolvers of the same model. Having to file or grind screwdriver tips is just a fact of life.

JoeJames
07-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Screw slot widths vary between screws, even the nominally same screw on two revolvers of the same model. Having to file or grind screwdriver tips is just a fact of life.Oh well, hope springs eternal.

Tatume
07-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Grace. They are like 100$ for 5 though...

Grace: $43 for a set of eight ($38 if you're a gunsmith).
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod6739.aspx

georgerkahn
07-25-2019, 06:32 PM
I am a big fan and user of those purveyed by Brownell's -- their MagnaTip line. Three great (imho) reasons, to wit: 1/ The MagnaTip handle accepts pretty much all plain-Jane hex bits. My set started as one purveyed by the N.R.A., and -- here's #2 reason -- if any bits break, get lost, etc. -- you only need pay a very small ante for a replacement. And, my #3 is that all sorts of specialty bits -- by a variety of vendors (e.g., I have a few from Wheeler, and others) -- for a particular line of firearms. As an example, Brownells sells https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/winchester-marlin-screwdriver-sets-prod25474.aspx -- for Marlins.
A 4th add-on is that having but a couple of handles and a large selection of bits takes very little storage space.
geo

James Wisner
07-25-2019, 06:38 PM
I bought my first set of Grace gunsmith screwdrivers in the mid 1970"s, one by one the wooden handles broke, I only have one left today.

In the late 1970's I bought my first set of Forster screw drivers, ALL I can say is wow.
They are fully hardened and tempered. Yes if you break one you have to regrind the tip, but for me that has never been a issue. A couple of them are now about 3 inches shorter than when they were new.

Then in the early 1980's I bought another set of the Forster screw drivers. This allowed me to regrind various ones for certain jobs, and then kept them in a wooden block with holes.

I still have most of those Forster screw drivers today after all that use and years, and still use them on a daily basis, after all these years of gunsmithing.

For me I just never got into all of the change this tip, to that tip, and once it broke I had to regrind it anyway.

J Wisner

GOPHER SLAYER
07-25-2019, 09:29 PM
I agree with JoeJames. In my set of Chapman's the hollow ground tips are too fat.

alamogunr
07-26-2019, 12:06 AM
And ALSO a set of these

https://chapmanmfg.com/pages/gunsmith-screwdriver-sets

I've got the above SAE Hex + Slotted Set and the Brownell's set. I keep the Chapman set in a small tub with all the stuff I might need at the range. I haven't broken a Brownell's bit yet but if I ever do, I can order a replacement.

Thumbcocker
07-26-2019, 09:08 AM
I ordered a set from Brownell's

Naphtali
07-26-2019, 09:49 AM
When in doubt, get the best. Brownell's magnetic superset contains medium and short handles and 56 (or is it 58??) American-made screwdriver inserts. Most are for slotted screw heads, some hex heads, some torx. I own two of these sets.

Hope this helps.

SSGOldfart
07-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Wheeler gets my vote,mine are only 25years old.they will out last me.

alamogunr
07-26-2019, 09:59 AM
Brownell's magna tip sets come in so many variations it is hard to decide which to buy. The only thing I can offer is that, despite the one post that preferred the handled screwdrivers, the most complete and flexible sets are the magna tips. I prefer the "Law Enforcement magnetic handle. As I've gotten older, long shanks on tools don't work as well and the clip tip handles hold the bit so tight that I have to use pliers to remove the tip from the handle. Magnetic works best for me.

Tatume
07-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Today I went through my tool boxes and took stock of my gunsmith screwdrivers. They are mostly Grace and Brownells fixed blade drivers, with several Brownells mag-tip handle and bit sets. Realizing I needed a better way to store them, I bought two canvas, roll-up tool bags. Should be good to go now!