PDA

View Full Version : Oehler Chronographs

klw
10-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I see that Oehler is no longer selling reloader chronographs. Anyone know why?

felix
10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Kenneth, like other companies doing the same, Baldor for example, won't sell to the public because of end customer complaints. The proposition came up several times during my 20 years at Baldor, and each time the board turned it down, for the same reason. You buy a Baldor motor, you have to go through a registered distributor. I buy motors as an employee through the local distributer via paperwork even though I actually get it off the factory floor if the version is made here. ... felix

only1asterisk
10-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Oehler is no longer Making consumer chrono's.

Larry Gibson
10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
About 10 months ago I discussed this very topic with Dr. Oehler. Seems he would like to continue making the 35P but in his small shop they are tied up making the higher end models. He said he would like too hire a young electronic engineer but can't find one willing to work. He said they all want a lot of money to do little. If he could find someone willing to roll up their sleeves and work at building the M35Ps then he would be more than glad to let them. Dr. Oehler is in his 70's and would like to retire. It is a shame as I've had Oehler chronographs since '75 (M10, M35P and a M43). I've still got all three and they are very fine machines. I've turned down several very handsome offers for my M35P now that I have the M43. No, the M35P is not for sale as I still use it now and then when all I want to do is chronograph velocities.

Larry Gibson

mike in co
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
there is a parts issue also. the printer is pretty old school and not available. yep he want to retire, and his staff is old too. its a shame. i do have a 35p also...

mike in co

NVcurmudgeon
10-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Kenneth, like other companies doing the same, Baldor for example, won't sell to the public because of end customer complaints. The proposition came up several times during my 20 years at Baldor, and each time the board turned it down, for the same reason. You buy a Baldor motor, you have to go through a registered distributor. I buy motors as an employee through the local distributer via paperwork even though I actually get it off the factory floor if the version is made here. ... felix

"end customer complaints"? That's hard for me to imagine with Baldor products! I have a Baldor grinder (Cat. No. 612 Serial H-2) that my brother's FIL "liberated" from a huge regional transit construction job he was on. Between my brother, and later me, it was good for 18 years of service in an Exxon station. When I sold out in 1988 the Baldor grinder was one of the few things I kept. Today that grinder is in my shop and still working like a champ. It runs so smoothly that I have never bothered to bolt it down, preferring to be able to move it around the bench. So far I have replaced one wheel and the power cord, going back to 1971.

fecmech
10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Back in the 70's when Dr. Oehler started making the "skyscreens" he sent me 2 complete model 10's to user test the skyscreens . At the time I was doing a lot of chronographing and he asked if I would fire the same loads over both machines using one as a proof for the other and send him the data which I did. He then gave me both machines after a month or so. I sold them off and bought a Model 33 (I think thats the model) later and used that for a time with my Ransom Rest. I now have a Model 35 (no printer) and that is what I use for my testing now. Good machine and a good company to do business with!

klw
10-30-2008, 06:04 PM
What was the Oehler model of decades ago where the display only showed one digit at a time?

Meatco1
10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
I have a very early model 35+P Ohler (no printer), and other than having a friend shooting a skyscreen once, it's never skipped a beat.

Probably one of the best investments I've made (at least compared to todays stocks!)

Richard

fecmech
10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
What was the Oehler model of decades ago where the display only showed one digit at a time?

I think that was the model 10. You got a 4 digit number that you then took to a chart which gave you the velocity for that shot. The original Oehler model had had a one time use screen with an insulater between two conductive layers of mylar that were mated to two wires that came to the holder that held the foil. The bullet passed thru the foil making contact between the two conductors. You had a "start" conductor that when contact was made started the internal clock and the "stop" conductor stopped the clock. I believe the 4 digit number was the elapsed time between the screens. The mylar tape holders were replaced by skyscreens.
To test another round you then had to replace both screens and do the process over again. Being the cheapscate that I am and an aircraft mechanic I had access to aluminum tape at the time and made my own screens out of "Speedtape" with an insulator in between. Still a pain in the butt but my screens lasted for more than one shot most times till they got shorted out. Skyscreens and direct velocity readouts on the later machines sure made things a lot easier. I did not do any 10 shot strings with the mylar screens because of the time and expense.

Dale53
10-31-2008, 12:04 AM
I have done business with Dr. Ken Oehler for many years. I finally got to talk to him and his lovely wife at the NRA Convention this year. Fine folk and his contributions to the sport are many.

He lost the printer supplier for the Model 35 and couldn't replace them.

Dale53

Bret4207
10-31-2008, 07:45 AM
About 10 months ago I discussed this very topic with Dr. Oehler. Seems he would like to continue making the 35P but in his small shop they are tied up making the higher end models. He said he would like too hire a young electronic engineer but can't find one willing to work. He said they all want a lot of money to do little. If he could find someone willing to roll up their sleeves and work at building the M35Ps then he would be more than glad to let them. Dr. Oehler is in his 70's and would like to retire. It is a shame as I've had Oehler chronographs since '75 (M10, M35P and a M43). I've still got all three and they are very fine machines. I've turned down several very handsome offers for my M35P now that I have the M43. No, the M35P is not for sale as I still use it now and then when all I want to do is chronograph velocities.

Larry Gibson

Boy, how many times have we heard this story lately? These kids better wake up and take what they can get!

C A Plater
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Boy, how many times have we heard this story lately? These kids better wake up and take what they can get!

They are. The demand for electrical engineers is strong so salaries and contract rates are up.