PDA

View Full Version : Any Roofers here

gsdelong
07-23-2019, 08:47 AM
I had a steel roof put on and no I have an issue where some water runs behind the gutter.

As the gutter slopes downhill it goes from the drip edge covering the top of the gutter edge to about 1” of exposed fascia board between the drip edge and gutter, it is right here that the water starts running behind.

Do I need to bend the drip edge out or do I need to put flashing under the drip edge and over the back edge of the gutter?

Thanks for any help.

Greg

07-23-2019, 09:03 AM
I'd dump the gutter if I could. Barring that, I'd flash to divert runoff.

gsdelong
07-23-2019, 11:37 AM
I don't understand unless you are saying no gutter which is not and option as it is draining probably 24 x 36 feet of roof on the front pitch of my house

I'd dump the gutter if I could. Barring that, I'd flash to divert runoff.

Conditor22
07-23-2019, 11:39 AM
the roofing should stick out 1 inch past the facia/drip edge over the gutter so you won't have this problem.

How long is the gutter where you're having this problem?

Normally they install the gutter as high as they can on the end away from the downspout and angle it slightly down so it drains.

Just from what you said I'd say the roof and gutter weren't installed right.

I'd need to see it too know for sure

gsdelong
07-23-2019, 12:21 PM
24' of gutter the roof does stick over an inch.

I know the drip edge has a bent out 1/8 to 1/4 lip on the bottom of the edge that goes in the gutter, if that lip was bent could that cause my issue. Much like putting a drip loop in a cable?

Conditor22
07-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Sounds like the gutter guy put too much of a slant on the gutter. For a 24 ft run the gutter should be under the 1" drip edge for the complete length. Tight on one side and apr 3/4 inch on the other side for drainage.

you can cut and slide a strip of aluminum under the drip edge resting on the gutter spikes/screws to keep the water from behind the gutter.

NSB
07-23-2019, 01:06 PM
The drip edge has to stay over the gutter. At 24ft there was no reason not to do this. My house is 64ft and I had new one piece gutters put on and even on that length, the drip edge stays over the gutter the entire length. You got a bad install.

gsdelong
07-23-2019, 01:46 PM
I had the gutters put on a year or two before roof I am not convinced that this was not the roofers first steel roof job. The other issue is live in the woods and the gutters were put up by a company that has been the go to guy for at least 30 years. I know it is an excessive slope but I am thinking it was on purpose due to all the trees.

Ok now the real question any reason I can not slip a run of 2” flashing under the drip edge but over the gutter edge? Pole barn screws since it is vertical?

gsdelong
07-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Sounds like the gutter guy put too much of a slant on the gutter. For a 24 ft run the gutter should be under the 1" drip edge for the complete length. Tight on one side and apr 3/4 inch on the other side for drainage.

you can cut and slide a strip of aluminum under the drip edge resting on the gutter spikes/screws to keep the water from behind the gutter.

Thank you

NSB
07-23-2019, 02:48 PM
I know it is an excessive slope but I am thinking it was on purpose due to all the trees.
Water finds its own level. What do "all the trees" have to do with water running down hill? Trees don't make rain fall any harder or faster. Gutter pitch should be 1/2" for every ten feet. For runs longer than 40 feet they should be pitched from the middle and headed towards a down spout. Trees aren't part of the equation.

rancher1913
07-23-2019, 02:56 PM
sounds like you got more issues than you might know. unless the gutter is overflowing, the amount of water getting behind the gutter should be minimal. is there a space between the gutter and the house, or is the gutter tight to the house.

Conditor22
07-23-2019, 02:57 PM
New roof with new shorter drip edge (roofer was cheap trying to save money or the previous roofer had a generous drip edge)

PS you can also use galvanized steel. Make sure you measure it tight so it doesn't fall out easily.

Adam20
07-23-2019, 04:30 PM
I do a fair amount of steel roofs, it needs a price of aluminum under drip edge to over the back edge of gutter. Normally done by roofer. It is common on longer runs when existing gutter is dropped to far.
Call the company that put the roof on a reputable company will take care of the issue.

gsdelong
07-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone and to answer what do the trees have to with it, is that a high density of trees create, seeds, needles and all sorts of things that settle in gutters.

I would be cleaning my gutters multiple times a year if some of the year round before leaf season stuff did not have enough water movement to go down the drain.

jsizemore
07-23-2019, 06:54 PM
Have you thought about raising the gutter so it's behind the drip edge? Flashing behind the drip edge and over the back of the gutter works as long as the gutters kept clean. I clean the gutters 4 times in the spring when the willow oaks pollenate and about 8 times in the fall when they drop leaves. Depends on the rain forecast.

NyFirefighter357
07-23-2019, 09:55 PM
To ensure that gutters drain properly, make certain they slope (½ inch for every 10 feet) toward a downspout. For gutter runs longer than 40 feet, it's best to pitch the gutter down from the middle to a downspout at each end.

Drip edge or flashing should be over your gutter's back edge.

https://i.imgur.com/lkstXh9h.jpg

gsdelong
07-24-2019, 05:42 AM
In all sincerity you are better man them I am, I am doing good to get the grass cut that often.

:drinks:

Have you thought about raising the gutter so it's behind the drip edge? Flashing behind the drip edge and over the back of the gutter works as long as the gutters kept clean. I clean the gutters 4 times in the spring when the willow oaks pollenate and about 8 times in the fall when they drop leaves. Depends on the rain forecast.

john.k
07-24-2019, 05:53 AM
Unless you rely on saving the water runoff,extending the overhang of the tin sheet,and doing without gutters is a option in areas with heavy leaflitter fall.......I had a stroke of luck ,and the house nextdoor had the roof damaged in a storm,and the roofers who replaced the next door roof asked me who my insurer was ,same as the one he just done,and he replaced my roof too,even tho it was not storm damaged ,just rusty.....The insurers didnt pay for guttering ,so I said just leave it off.........Better than breaking my neck cleaning gutters ,cause im too old for that.

Handloader109
07-24-2019, 11:49 AM
I hate gutters. Last home had none, even with second story drop, I had no issue with water at ground level. But I was on a hill and most land ran away from the house. Here in my current house, the prior owner buried 4" pipe to run water off. Half clogs up due to the restrictions. I'm almost at the point of ripping it all off here. I've got gravel along half my front and hedge the remaining, so no issue with water there. In back, it would hit my deck, but the rain hits it already...

jsizemore
07-24-2019, 04:04 PM
In all sincerity you are better man them I am, I am doing good to get the grass cut that often.

You may need to hire somebody.

john.k
07-25-2019, 01:50 AM
When you have no gutters,there is no concentrated torrent of rainwater runoff.........infact all you get is what falls on the area covered by the roof .............so no wetter than the rest of the yard..........and underground roof drains can be a risk of fire if half filled with leaves.

jsizemore
07-25-2019, 01:05 PM

It's easier and cheaper than pulling the gutter and replacing the fascia and sub-fascia and maybe the rafter tails and soffit.