PDA

View Full Version : Antique spark plugs

06ackley
07-21-2019, 07:56 PM
Anybody here collect old spark plugs or know anyone who does? I have 2 superior no.6 plugs new in the box and am trying to find out anything about them. They definitely look different from any plug I've ever seen but I'm sure they are older than I am...if anybody has info I'd appreciate it.

osteodoc08
07-21-2019, 08:33 PM
I don’t know anything about them but I sure would love some show and tell. Pics please!

06ackley
07-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Well I'm not sure how to post pics. I would gladly email pics if someone wants to see them or post them.

xs11jack
07-21-2019, 08:49 PM
I haven't tried this but if you could find a stock photo and use that to show us.
Ole Jack

GOPHER SLAYER
07-21-2019, 09:20 PM
My brother gave me spark plug sold by Sears for the T-Model several that you could rebuild. Folks were very frugal back in the day.

Alstep
07-21-2019, 11:00 PM
There's always a few spark plug collectors displaying their collections at tractor & engine shows. It's amazing to see all the various designs, variations & manufacturers of spark plugs. Another fascinating hobby.

samari46
07-21-2019, 11:40 PM
For starters try google for antique spark plugs or hit and miss gas or diesel engines. I have a Detroit Engine Works single cylinder gas hit and miss engine in the garage. Works off a coil and 12 volt battery. Can either go forwards or backwards by reversing a lever. There are a few hit and miss forums both gas or diesel and even some steam engines. Hope you find out what your plugs belong to. Frank

Tripplebeards
07-21-2019, 11:54 PM
I always check prices on eBay. I watch the listings and see if anyone buys or bids on the asking prices to give me an idea of what it’s worth. Something like a spark plug you definitely need to find the right buyer/collector to see if there’s much value to them. If it were me I’d find the correct application for what vehicle they were used in and go to some car shows and target the owners of the vehicles that they fit.

Alstep
07-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Here's a great site, all about old engines & tractors. Spark plugs are often part of the discussion.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5