PDA

View Full Version : Is someone scamming Brownell's customers?

JSnover
07-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Got this email the other day and there are a couple of red flags so I didn't respond, figured I'd post it as a public service (altered the links so they won't work).
================================================== ================================================== ===================
Customer # 04900837 States where goods are delivered: PA

Dear Sir or Madam:

Brownells Inc. is currently doing an update of business accounts to determine Sales Tax Exemption. If you feel you are a company that qualifies for tax exemption, please note that our records are currently incomplete for your company. This is due to missing the proper Sales Tax Exemption Certificate.

Brownells Inc. is required to charge sales tax on all future transactions unless provided with a current and valid document(s) for the state(s) and products where you do business. To ensure tax exemption, Brownells Inc. respectfully requests that its partners submit new forms before the next transaction.

Avalara, a document management system, is working with Brownells Inc. to collect these forms. To submit a new exemption certificate, please click the link below or use the following request code on the CertExpress Website:

Link: https:/app.certexpress.com?r=MX-39VK-9m
CertExpress Website: https:/app.certexprss.com
Request Code: MX-39-VK-9m

Should you have any questions regarding the completion of the forms, please contact us at (800) 741-0015 or via email at Acounting@brownelscom and we will be glad to assist you to expedite the process.

Thank you for your cooperation and prompt response in this matter

Sincerely,

Brownells, Inc.
================================================== ================================================== ===================

Thin Man
07-20-2019, 08:24 AM
I have not seen anything like this from Brownell's, but did get a similar request from Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.) that offered a few different ways to submit the Certificate of Resale to them. One of the closing lines of this message included a telephone number that matches a number on Numrich's "contact us" page. That is enough to make me feel comfortable that the Numrich message is legit. Probably the easy answer to your question is to call Brownell's and ask if the message is genuine.

NyFirefighter357
07-20-2019, 08:44 AM
"Internet sales tax collection laws gradually taking effect"
"Thirty-one states now have laws requiring out-of-state retailers to collect sales tax. Five states have no sales tax: New Hampshire, Delaware, Montana, Oregon and Alaska, although some municipalities in Alaska do. The rest of the states have not yet passed laws."
"A majority of the states have enacted laws requiring remote sellers to collect sales tax following the Supreme Court's South Dakota v. Wayfair decision in June. The court upheld a South Dakota statute that targeted online retailers who avoided collecting out-of-state sales tax because they didn't have a physical presence like a store or distribution in a state – a decades-old exemption that the court threw out in its decision."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/12/23/sales-tax-online-retailers-begin-collect-internet-customers/2387450002/

Elroy
07-20-2019, 08:51 AM
I know that a lot of states that never taxed online sales are now collecting them,and W.Va. is one of them evidently. I first noticed MidwayUSA charging tax with a little ?mark beside the amount. I have clicked the question mark,and a paragraph cones up explaining that some states require they collect it..I know that Brownells has been sending me a lot more EMails that ever.It is so bad that even when I go on their sight to compare prices,and products that I get emails on just about all items I have clicked on .

James Wisner
07-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Brownells has been charging WA state sales tax for almost a year now. What ticks me off is it the higher King Co. tax not the lower WA state use tax rate. 9.5 % vs 8.1 %, and since I have a business account with Brownells I can not opt out of it.

I also have a business account with Nurmich and just 2 months ago went thru the process of trying to get them to properly deal with my WA Resellers Permit.

I never got a email from Brownells the tax just started to showed up on the invoice. I had to call and ask about it.

Nurmich did email several times while we worked that all out.

Just one more thing we have to deal with now on the Internet.

J Wisner

Kraschenbirn
07-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Probably not a scam. Last month, for the first time ever, I was charged Illinois sales tax on an order from Natchez. This state is so broke(n); both financially and politically.

Bill

dangitgriff
07-20-2019, 10:41 AM
The good news is the government allows us to keep some of the money we earned.
Politicians are criminals operating under color of laws of their own making...
Taxation is theft, pure and simple.

reddog81
07-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Looks like a standard exemption certificate request. The request is kind of generic, but it's hard to personalize the requests when sending out 1,000's.

tomme boy
07-20-2019, 11:45 AM
If you are living in a Democrat state then you are probably getting charged sales tax. I seen a US map that showed the states that are charging it and it looked like a election map between dems and repubs.

trebor44
07-20-2019, 04:32 PM
If you are living in a Democrat state then you are probably getting charged sales tax. I seen a US map that showed the states that are charging it and it looked like a election map between dems and repubs.

Wish that was true, IDAHO is as RED as can be and you have to pay the sales tax when you shop online. ALL online sales are considered taxable per Idaho IRS! There is a line item on the personal State Income Tax form when you file.

shaune509
07-20-2019, 04:51 PM
J Wisner. I was charged the higher rate on a Dillon order also, The problem is that WA tax code says collect at the rate of point of delivery. I too live in an area rate of 8.1% ans if I order from some one like Amazon it is charged properly by there computer system. The smaller internet and mail order company's should allow you to insert local rate as they have to report the true rate on the state form so the county, cities and other collection districts get there share [state 6.5% + local]. On my last Dillon order I filled in the proper rate and high lighted it as such. I do feel that I owe a far tax I just do not want to be adding the the Govner J. Insults campane fund for president.
Shaune509

Geezer in NH
07-20-2019, 05:08 PM
From NH I can say your states voted to tax what you spend. You are getting what you voted for.

redhawk0
07-20-2019, 05:11 PM
the brownells email address is missing an "l".....I suspect it's a scam.

redhawk

eric123
07-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Noticed the second "L" was missing too, but the phone number is legit.

redhawk0
07-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Noticed the second "L" was missing too, but the phone number is legit.

If the number is legit...the OP should just give them a call to confirm.

redhawk

Adam_Selene
07-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Maybe ask Brownells? If it is legit, they should be quite willing to confirm it so they can get their tax stuff straight.

JSnover
07-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Probably just paranoia. I've known about the collection of state taxes on internet sales but have had some internet weirdnesss going on lately and then this thing shows up, asking if I think I should be exempt.

jonp
07-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Never click on any link in an unsolicited email for any reason. Just call Brownells and ask them.

bedbugbilly
07-20-2019, 06:44 PM
AS stated - the easiest way to find out is to give them a call and hear it out of the "horses mouth". If you are a company purchasing wholesale or an individual, that's going to make a difference and with the new laws that are going in to effect, it's going to get even more complicated. Have you know a government entity yet that didn't have their had out to grab as much tax dollar as they can? Brownell's is the on one who can answer the question.

That said - I sell on fleabbay and the other day, I sold some gun parts to a fellow in PA. When i sent the invoice to him for payment, their invoicing system automatically added the PA sales tax - and the point of origin shipping is where I am in MI - so an out of state sale. Looks to me like PA, like some other states, is taxing "money spent" by their residents.

snowwolfe
07-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Since more states are requiring sales tax be paid for online orders it will really help the small mom and pop stores. Many people buy online to avoid sales tax and this will help level the playing field.

dangitgriff
07-20-2019, 08:24 PM
Leveling the playing field is not the job of government.

tomme boy
07-20-2019, 09:35 PM
No it will not. Prices are way too low shopping on the net. Some things I buy local. Most is coming off the net. When I can find it 30-40% cheaper than local??? MAP pricing is what is going to level the playing field. But I hate that. That is why you will see certain items are the exact same price all over the net. But if you call they can get you a better deal usually. Or add some free stuff to help the burn of going in dry.

Mal Paso
07-20-2019, 10:06 PM
I got one too. I have a commercial account with Brownells and this is the same request I have gotten from California wholesalers for years. Supreme Court just made it national.