PDA

View Full Version : Optimal BHN (hardness) for .32 Winchester Special?

jski
07-19-2019, 11:01 PM
Really interested in casting for my recently inherited Model 94 in prime condition.

I assume RCBS molds for 170 gr. boolits is an excellent start? But, what about the lead alloy? I noticed Montana Boolit Works is offer 170 gr, GC, BHN 22 boolits which is essentially Linotype. Is this a good start? Money is not an issue. Just want a 1st class setup. Could order Linotype ingots from RotoMetals.

Guesser
07-19-2019, 11:19 PM
I cast mine to age to about 15 BHN after a couple months, both plain base and gas checked. I use them in Marlin and Winchester 32 W.S., carbine and rifle. I do my 30-30 from the same alloy. Works well for me.

sigep1764
07-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Wheel weights should work just fine. The cartridge maxes out at 2300fps or so. In my experience, ww with gas checks in 223 and 270 have been good at this speed and pressure.

samari46
07-20-2019, 12:11 AM
For my Moisins I use the Lyman 314299 cast from regular wheel weights with 2% tin. Estimated velocity is about 1600 feet per second. Not quite a 32 Win Special but having put about 3000 rounds through a 1935 Finn model 27 over the years excellent accuracy. And I surely wouldn't feel under gunned if I used it for hunting. Have a freshly rebarreled Finn M39 with a 1970 marked barrel so will try out this load to see how it shoots. original barrel was totally trashed and got lucky and found a mint M39 barrel. Frank

jski
07-20-2019, 01:19 AM
What is the BHN for wheel weight lead? I have to be honest, I’m a little suspicious of cast boolits which have a hardness based simply on the way they’re cooled? And not because they’re an alloy of some composition.

Guesser
07-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Just for clarification............I tested mine at several stages thru the aging process using a Cabin Tree hardness tester. I formulate my alloy using weight and hardness factors. I use a digital scale to weigh my different alloys as I am composing my casting alloy. Granted; there is a lot of "magic" involved and most of that is "black" magic; but it serves me well!!!

Dusty Bannister
07-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Air cooling and age hardening of the cast bullet is to allow the normal process to take place and not create an artificial hardness that will slowly change over time. It is the alloy that determines the normal hardness of the bullet, not just the cooling process.

When you look at the Lyman cast bullet handbook, 4th edition, which you may have, you will see that different mold makers use different alloys to produce the bullet tested. Lino has less shrinkage after casting so if you use something other than lino, with less antimony, you will have smaller castings and that can be a problem with cast bullets. More to success than just picking out an alloy to use. Dusty

Hick
07-20-2019, 09:44 PM
I use Lyman #2 for my 32 Winchester Special. Never tested the hardness, but supposedly #2 is about 15 BHN.