PDA

View Full Version : Lyman/Ideal #45 Luber Sizer "Old"

Just Duke
10-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Lyman/Ideal #45 Luber Sizer "Old" "Orange?"

Has anyone ever used one of these as someone is looking to send me one? Do they work and use the same dies as the newer ones? It would look great setup next to a Tru-Line Jr press in my Western Room.

utk
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
There has been quite a few postings about this sizer/luber recently.

And yes, newer dies will fit.
One upgrade is to replace the old brass-skirted pressure nut with the one with o-rings from the Lyman 450.

Just Duke
10-29-2008, 08:31 AM
There has been quite a few postings about this sizer/luber recently.

And yes, newer dies will fit.
One upgrade is to replace the old brass-skirted pressure nut with the one with o-rings from the Lyman 450.

Were talking the old one right?
Do have have a link to any discussions here sir? TIA

Just Duke
10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18812&highlight=Ideal+Luber+Sizer

SharpsShooter
10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I have the #45 and it is dandy. Work with Lyman, RCBS, Buckshot dies no problem at all.

Nope it ain't for sale.

SS

Will
10-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Been using a #45 since 1963 and it still works great. Uses the same dies as all other lyman as well as RCBS. No heater so I aim a heat lamp at it in cold weather. If you loose the feed wrench just get a cheap 1/4 inch ratchet.

Ed Barrett
10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
I was given a lyman 45 about 4 years ago. after using a hair dryer and then a heat gun I was able to get the old lube off of it and out of it. It works fine if I ever upgrade it will be to a Star.

DLCTEX
10-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Mine was bought used about 6 years ago. The handle and linkage are not as strong as my RCBS lubrasizer, but it has sized/lubed thousands of boolits since I've owned it. It is still all original. DALE

dk17hmr
10-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I liked mine after I replaced the pressure nut with one from the 450. Mine actually just broke probably mostly my fault.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=38187

I have 2 sizers one is the 45 the other is a RCBS lubrasizer, the RCBS is better for heavy sizing and hard lube, once I get the 45 fixed I will stick with soft.

grumpy one
10-29-2008, 07:49 PM
My only lubesizer is a Lyman 45, and I'm very happy with it. It's rather an elegant device, but in my experience not suitable for sizing bullets of more than about 15 BHN. Beyond that level I have a feeling of abusing the apparatus by applying excessive force. The more modern lubesizers can cope better with harder bullets - though I've read on this site that an upgraded lever system can be fitted to the 45. In practice I've never found a good reason to size hard bullets - I had to learn that by experience, though. Nowadays I heat treat them after sizing them as-cast, air-cooled.

I'm quite satisfied with the 45's original lube dispenser piston. When refilling the reservoir I check for a buildup of leaked lube above the piston, scrape it off, and drop it into the reservoir. There's never much there. However I caution you against using any substantial pressure in the lube system. It blows the O-ring out from the sizing die, which is annoying.

jcwit
10-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I've got 2 of them and they both work great. I replaced the pressure nuts with the newer "O" ring style. As noted ealier the dies interchange, the little ratchet wrench is available from Harbor Freight for $3.00 when on sale.

montana_charlie
10-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Were talking the old one right?
Do have have a link to any discussions here sir? TIA
Using the forum search feature...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=1089803
...has several threads on the subject

CM

wmitty
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Use the Lee push thru dies to size and seat gas checks and the 45 to lubricate. The Lee dies will size the hardest boolets without the chance of breaking the handle on your 45.

357maximum
10-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I actuall prefer the 45 over the other lyman rectal cranial inversions....why they had to mess with a perfect (ish) tool is beyond me.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-31-2008, 12:14 AM
I prefer the 45 over the 450 for two reasons,it is easier to change dies [I actually very seldom ghange dies] and the handle doesn't fall farward and either hit me or startle me. I installed a length of chain on the wall behind the 450 to hold the handle, just to get it out of my way.I have five 45s ,four 450s and one Cramer. The only trouble I have had with a 45 is when the threaded rod came loose from the base on one of them. It was easy to fix. I prefer the Cramer over all the others although it is more difficult to make dies or nose punchs for. You could say I am the Amelda Marcos of lubrasisers. I am just as bad with presses and I picked up two more in a yard sale last week.They were so cheap I couldn't pass them by. I am not sure how many powder measures I have. I am as bad about reloading equipment as Buckshot is about rifles. I must say I am concerned about Buckshot. I stopped by his digs Tuesday to secure his help on one of the presses I had just purchased.Someone had left an aluminum die in a Lyman turret press for years and it had welded to the cast iron turret. Don't do that. I had tried to remove it by the usual means to no avail, so I naturally did the normal thing, I took a hammer to it. There is no mechanical problem that cannot be resolved with brute force and ignorance. After that I drilled out the hole. I knew that Buckshot had a 7x14 tap, soooo I thought it would be easy to retap. It turned out to be a pain but he did get er done. After the job was finished he showed me his latest purchase. It was a Savage bolt action with a scope of all things and a fiberglass stock.Worst of all it was in .308 cal, a cartrige I do not like.They have no neck and therefore do not handle lead bullits well. At least that was my experience. Black powder and lead is the only true way.I think Buckshot should sell that evil thing, repent and return to the true faith .It is his only hope. Next thing you know he will want to install a resonator on the barrel. I think thats what they are called. Really ,who cares. I forgot to mention, the beast has a bi-pod attached to the barrel. Pray for him.

Boerrancher
10-31-2008, 08:22 AM
I have a Lyman 45. I may upgrade at some point to the new O-ring style pressure nut, but really don't see the need for it right now. I have never had a problem with mine since I have owned it, nor did I ever have trouble with the one a friend of mine owned that I use to use all the time.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

dukenukum
10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
I had three 45 sizers wish I never sold them I cannot stand the 4500 for now I have two 450 units that are alright but still not my favorite tools . why did I listen to people who don't cast boolits ?:veryconfu

dukers65
10-31-2008, 02:03 PM
i just got my 45 back together, sorta a forced tear down. i cleaned out the cylinder and the hole where the die fits into, put some thread locker on the cylinder screwed it back in ,
and bingo she is doing fine.

i received the parts from lyman i ordered two days later and they sit in the envelope.
dan

KCSO
10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Duke
I have the 45 my father in law gave me in 1970's. I will dig out the box and the instructions and send yo a copy. The 45 is a good sizer but limited in leverage. I wouldn't use it to size more than 3 thou at a shot. I also don't put much pressure in the resevoir and I only size 2 or 3 bullets before cranking the handle. By doing that I have not had to replace any parts in mine since I got it. I also use a #1 that is so old it has the water pump handle.