PDA

View Full Version : Printed instructions for Redfield International Rear Sight and Redfield Olympic Rear

Squeeky
07-17-2019, 08:13 AM
I'm looking for Printed instructions for Redfield International Rear Sight and Redfield Olympic Rear Sight. I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

Tatume
07-17-2019, 08:33 AM
I've owned both and used them in competition. There is not much to print in the instructions. You need a mounting block for the particular rifle, and the hand screw attaches the sight to the block. There will be several locations on the block where you can attach the sight, setting it for the fore and aft position you prefer. The hand knobs adjust the sight. There's not much more to say about using the sight.

A machinist can set up a dial indicator to check the sight for backlash. Mine all had less than 0.001" backlash. If there is measurable but not excessive backlash, you should always make the final adjustment in the same direction. If you usually to up, for example, and you need to go down three clicks, then you would want to go down five clicks, followed by two clicks up.

The amount of impact displacement per click will depend on the distance between your front and rear sights. It's an easy calculation to make, based on similar right triangles.

What else do you need to know?

Squeeky
07-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Are these sights 1/4 MOA? I also have the Parma Sight and it came with the original instructions which gave all of the information available for that sight. Thanks for your information.

Alstep
07-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Most are 1/4 MOA. They were also made with 1/8 MOA clicks. I used both the Olympic & International on my highpower bolt guns. That was years ago. Good dependable sights.
The Palma had some kind of a spring takeup for backlash. They also had a reputation for shooting loose in highpower. Never used one for that reason.

Tatume
07-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Are these sights 1/4 MOA? I also have the Parma Sight and it came with the original instructions which gave all of the information available for that sight. Thanks for your information.

The amount of impact displacement per click will depend on the distance between your front and rear sights. It's an easy calculation to make, based on similar right triangles.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-18-2019, 01:46 PM
The Palma was made of aluminum. Poor choice. It could not take the pounding that steel could.