PDA

View Full Version : Prilosec

GOPHER SLAYER
07-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Does anyone beside me use it? I depend on it to keep heartburn in check and it works but I do have a concern. It cautions about using it more than 14 days. I asked the druggist why and she said it could cause your bones to become weaker and more brittle if used over an extended period of time. What do you think? Is it worth it or should I stop using it and go back to baking soda and water?

Winger Ed.
07-15-2019, 04:00 PM
The wife uses it on occasion with no ill effects.
Like so many other things, its not surprising to learn over/long term use can cause problems.

If ya have heartburn that regular, you might check into the cause, if its diet related or something else.

daloper
07-15-2019, 06:29 PM
I use the generic for it. I find that if I take it every day then after awhile I have a hard time digesting things. I one take it every other day, 3 days a week and have no problem with heartburn. My wife takes the Prilosec and her doctor told her to use it when she has a flare up but to switch to the over the counter Ratatin after she gets it under control. He told her the same thing about it being bad for the bones.

shortlegs
07-15-2019, 06:35 PM
I have been using it since the mid 90s. I have just learned that I have ostioporosis and kidney damage from it. I have to take it but have started cutting the tablets in half and cut out any foods that cause me reflux. If you can get by without it,I suggest you do.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-15-2019, 06:37 PM
I use the generic for it. I find that if I take it every day then after awhile I have a hard time digesting things. I one take it every other day, 3 days a week and have no problem with heartburn. My wife takes the Prilosec and her doctor told her to use it when she has a flare up but to switch to the over the counter Ratatin after she gets it under control. He told her the same thing about it being bad for the bones. Thanks guys. I have never heard of Ratatin. I will check into it.

Beagle333
07-15-2019, 07:27 PM
I've been taking 40mg twice a day for reflux since '96 and have had no problems from it. It keeps the burn away, that's for sure.

osteodoc08
07-15-2019, 07:36 PM
No stomach acid means poor absorption of many micronutrients and vitamins including but not limited to magnesium, B12, Vit D, etc. Every medication has side effects and adverse reactions.

I think Daloper may be referring to ranitidine or the generic Zantac.

Pablo 5959
07-15-2019, 07:56 PM
If I go a day without I pay. I wish I could get that monkey off my back.
Been using for 25 years.

Battis
07-15-2019, 09:49 PM
I've been using Protonix for many many years with no problems that I know of. I couldn't tolerate Prilosec or Zantac.

Three44s
07-15-2019, 10:09 PM
At it’s worst I occasionally resort to a dose or two of Zantac but my preferred treatment is to slice half an apple and eat it raw (it’s the pectin) if I have trouble at night. If it happens otherwise I would eat the whole apple.

Eating early enough to reduce stomach contents prior to going to bed and watching what you eat also is more important.

My most important product is redox signaler ASEA for my reflux issues however.

Three44s

myg30
07-16-2019, 04:46 AM
I was on it for many years straight with no side effects. You should try to avoid the things that give you heart burn.
Don’t eat or drink 3-4hrs before bed time. Water ok, no sweet,no alcohol,no beer.
Sleep slightly elevated.
Baking soda bad for blood pressure.
To much reflux can cause Esophageal cancer.

Mike

winelover
07-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Been suffering from GERD for most of my life. Been taking proton pump inhibitors for the last thirty years. Tried them all. Prilosec, Prevacid, Aciphex and Nexium. Insurance (BCBS) use to pay..........not since they became OTC. Doses are half strength, since they became OTC. I use to take the prescription strength, twice a day. Currently, down to one per day. Occasionally, twice a day if having issues. No ill effects, just turned 68 years old.

Also take 300 mg of Ranitidine, just before bedtime. It's industrial/prescription strength Zantac. My insurance pays, I get 90 day supply at Walmart Pharmacy for @ $4 total...........much cheaper and stronger than OTC Zantac.

Triggers are almost everything one eats and some supposedly good for you.............chocolate, coffee, citrus fruit, peanut butter, carbonated beverages, spicy foods, fried foods, red sauces and anything with tomatoes. All forms of alcohol are a no-no.

Winelover

owejia
07-16-2019, 07:17 AM
When my stress level went down no more acid indigestion. Took a long time to learn that lesson.

GhostHawk
07-16-2019, 07:28 AM
I have been on protonix or generic off and on for the last 5 years. Suddenly stomach starts producing acid like crazy, gut gets irritated and I get diarrhoea that burns like lava coming out. I cut it down as much as I can as quickly as I can. I have been on 2 a week since Christmas. Just tried to go down to one a week and it is instant diarrhoea for 3 days.

The Protonix and the generic work for me with no side effects. And I have learned that if I start burping it means it is having trouble disolving something. A swallow of pickle juice always seems to clear it. I could probably do the same with straight vinegar, but it isn't the same.

Wayne Smith
07-16-2019, 07:51 AM
Several years ago my Chiropractor was working on my back when I mentioned GERD. He said "I can take care of that". I was skeptical so he pushed a particular place in the middle of my back - immediate GERD!

Some of you guys might want to check this out.

richhodg66
07-16-2019, 08:28 AM
I was taking the OTC Nexium daily and it works. Prior to that, I drank a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water daily and it seems to help too.

A few months ago, I heard about some health benefits of taking coconut oil daily, so started taking a big tablespoon of that first thing in the morning. One thing I read was that it stimulates growth of the good bacteria in your gut like some foods are supposed to do and I have to admit, I'm down to only needing the Nexium every once in a while.

I don't like taking meds and try hard to avoid it. That's getting hard to do as I get older, but I'd like to stay off daily drugs as long and as much as I can.

bedbugbilly
07-16-2019, 08:46 AM
My wife uses it once in a while and my mother-in-law did as well before she passed. The suggestion to take a look at your diet is a good one. My wife tried over time, through the process of elimination and "trying" as well, and she found that she can't tolerate the acidity in tomatoes or tomato products - pizza sauce, salsa, etc. Not that we eat a lot of pizza but on the rare occasion we do, we usually have the option between tomato sauce or a white sauce - we take the white sauce. Too much coffee as well . . . . she limits her intake of it now . . me? I still have to have coffee and usually have a couple of cups in the morning and one or two throughout the day . . . but I'm working on eliminate the afternoon coffee in favor of just drinking more water to keep hydrated. Moral of story . . . if you have heartburn that frequent, you might be able to eliminate certain foods that cause it and thus not have to take the meds so much that have the questionable side effects.

blackthorn
07-16-2019, 01:25 PM
For immediate relief of heart burn I chew a 4 or 5 inch piece of raw celery.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-16-2019, 01:30 PM
What a horrible thought, giving up pizza and God forbid, Mexican food. There has got to be a better way.

DeputyDuke
07-16-2019, 09:33 PM
What a horrible thought, giving up pizza and God forbid, Mexican food. There has got to be a better way.

No kidding. Give up a pot of coffee and day, chocolate, spicy food, bourbon? You've got to be kidding! A life well lived carries some risk!
Duke

MT Gianni
07-17-2019, 04:52 PM
I had a hiatal hernia and bleeding esophagus in the early 90's. I was on Xantac 75 three pills a day alternate one month then Prilosec for 30 days before two name changes. When it was new they didn't want anyone taking it for over 30 days. I opted for some surgery when my esophagus showed first stages of Barrets syndrome, [cancerous tissue that doesn't heal]. I had surgery and have had to take tums 6 or 7 times a year. [Nissen fundoplasty]. I wouldn't recommend the surgery to anyone unless your Dr does but I cannot see someone being tied to drugs for the rest of your life. In 1994 my cost was $100 a month.
Keep a food chart, figure out your triggers, eat 5 or 6 small meals a day and write down everything you eat or drink. When you find your triggers stay away from them, and see what you need then. I am sure those on the receiving end of the Monsanto lawsuit didn't care about the fine print either, but if it says don't use for over 14 days there is probably a good reason.

Thin Man
07-18-2019, 06:14 AM
I take several meds that are doctor ordered for me due to a past surgery. One of these meds is for heartburn control that is caused by some of the other meds. The doctor also has me on calcium supplements and annual bone density checks. For anyone taking meds that threaten their bone strength it might benefit them to speak to their pharmacist about calcium supplements.

Buzz Krumhunger
07-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Been taking OTC Pepcid once or twice a day as necessary, on the orders of the Gastro MD who cauterized my bleeding 3cm ulcer a few years ago. A most unpleasant experience. They couldn’t come up with an Anesthesiologist on short notice, so I was awake and strapped down.

Also I don’t have any more alcohol, caffeine, spicy food, or anything else that’s good.

Geezer in NH
07-20-2019, 06:48 PM
I follow my DR's advise. I eat lots of things I could not without Prilosec and my stomack is protected from other drugs I take.

Got a problem I will ask my doctor and not a forum on the internet.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-20-2019, 10:34 PM
I follow my DR's advise. I eat lots of things I could not without Prilosec and my stomack is protected from other drugs I take.

Got a problem I will ask my doctor and not a forum on the internet.

Well Excuse me all to ---- Geeser above the Arctic Circle. I have asked my Doctor and he said I haven't shown any ill effects so far. He went on to say, try it every other day and let him know if I notice any changes. I simply wanted to see how it effects others. If the effects are to come many years down the road, so what, I will soon be 85.

Tom W.
07-20-2019, 11:24 PM
I was diagnosed with a hieatal (?) Hernia some years ago and had acid reflux really bad. The worse thing for me was a piece of green bell pepper. Anything bigger than my thumbnail would have me writhing in pain on the floor. I took Prilosec for about a year or so and then stopped on my own to see what would happen.

I found that I could eat anything just like normal people, but there are a few times that I can taste things twice, but nothing like it used to be. So..... I'll eat whatever I want now, and seldom have repercussions.

But that's me.