PDA

View Full Version : OK, laugh!

Underclocked
10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Went out to my friend Dave's awhile this afternoon. Re-sighted the UltraMag with my friend Batchief's trashcan conicals since I have plenty of guns sighted in with toy bullets. :wink: Rifle had been previously sighted in with 200 grain XTPs so I had to tweak the scope up a considerable amount. Took three adjustments to get it where I wanted.

Dave's bench is a homemade affair that is welded tubular steel, most of which is either 2 or 3" in diameter. The seat is an old tractor seat welded to a piece of 2" which sits in a yoke on a pivoting arm of 3". He built it a long time ago. After my third adjustment shot, I raised up away from the rifle to confirm my hit (he was looking through the spotter) and that old tractor seat let go all at once. I went down trying to keep from banging my rifle on anything and prevent as much injury to myself as possible. 300 pounds doesn't take long to reach a concrete slab when in freefall. :shock:

I was lucky as the side of the barrel only contacted one piece of metal in a small spot and left a shallow bright spot which rubbed right out with Scotchbrite. My only injury was a barely skinned thumb. Dave was very concerned whether I was badly hurt (which I could easily have been) but I just sat there on the slab laughing.

Dave took the seat and its support into the shop and put some new welds on it, then we sat and watched The Beverly Hillbillies while the seat cooled.

I then fired these three for group and I have to tell you that I was more than a little concerned about doing a repeat. Maybe that's why the first shot was low. :confused:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2rmwis3.jpg

Bullshop
10-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Nice shootin there UC. Guess 300lbs a balast makes for steady holdin.
Say I got a cupla new 50 cal molds. If I can ever get to run some would ya like to sample them?
BIC/BS

Underclocked
10-29-2008, 01:47 AM
I surely would.

Thanks Dan. Well, it was almost a good group. Trying to embed my right arm into the wood surface of the bench (in case the seat gave way again) might have effected that first one. I've come up with some pretty creative excuses before, but this one might be my best. :)

Dan sells a near-identical conical to Batchief's Trashcan as well as several other superb conicals intended for muzzleloaders. More of you guys need to give 'em a try in your frontstuffers.

corey012778
10-29-2008, 06:09 AM
UC, good shooting there. good thing you pretty much hurt was your pride. :mrgreen: