PDA

View Full Version : Liquid ALOX for BP lube??

mikenbarb
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Has anyone used the liquid ALOX for bullet lube instead of Bore Butter? Im wondering how it will work and seems that it would be better and a heck of alot less mess. Im getting tired of bore butter all over my hands.

Maven
10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Mike, Some have used liquid alox with BP with great success, but I haven't been so lucky. Since I also dislike the Bore Butterfingers route, I asked Buckshot if he could make a lube only H & I die to fit my RCBS Lub-A-Matic and Lyman #450. He did and it works perfectly using Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube (hollow stick, but alas, no longer available). If you contact him, you'll need to measure the largest diameter of the conicals you're using and then add a few thousandths so it doesn't size the CB. Btw, I think white Crisco with a bit of beeswax added will easily flow through a lube sizer under pressure as will Emmert's Lube (home brewed) and even Felix Lube. The last named lube is also home brewed and works OK with BP, but Bore Butter/Ox-Yoke and Emmert's are better. Hope this helps!

ra_balke
10-28-2008, 10:50 PM
No.

You need a good organic lube for muzzle loaders, and any black powder.

Try neetsfoot oil, mixted with bee wax, ..as I recall 60/40.... you will figure it out. Just get it soft, about like crisco.

For lube on yur fingers, just wipe it off with a rag.

If you are using a cap ball revolver, you might try crisco in a tooth paste tube.

If you are shooting round balls in a rifle, just pre- lube the patches, and use some bee hive material between the powder and patched ball as a wadding. Your bbl will stay very clean.

If you are using a hollowbase mini ball, just fill the hollow base with lube in advance.

And ,,, keep a rag handy.

Odinbreaker
10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I use liquid alox in my muzzy all the time works well on REAL bullets I roll mine in motor mica helps the leading.. It is not necessary to use organic lube in muzzle loaders it was what was available and cheap in the old days. It has to do with seasoning the old iron barrels, steel barrels do not season. But it works fine and is cheapjust messy.

jack19512
10-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I use LLA with my muzzle loader and don't have any problems.

curator
10-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I have lubed minnie bullets and Lee R.E.A.L. slugs with Lee liquid alox and fired them with genuine black powder as well as Pyrodex, Clear Shot, 777 and one or two other "substitutes". I have found it to be "pretty good", and not forming the dreaded tar in the bore that I have read so much about. I do as a matter of habit wipe the bore after every shot with a damp patch. LLA is not any good at keeping the fouling soft for repeated firings without wiping the bore between shots as when shooting real black powder in .58 caliber rifled muskets with minnie balls. For this I fill the hollow base with a 50/50 bee's wax/lard lube. I still tumble the bullets in LLA beforehand. I never have leading issues.

mooman76
10-29-2008, 08:19 PM
I have never tried LLA in BP but have yet to hear someone verify the dreaded black tar that is suppose to form on the barrel. I hear a lot of warnings though so I can't help but think there is something to it. I don't see any reason myself to give it a try or press my luck so I will stick with the already tried and true lubes meant for BP. It is my thinking though that if there is anything to it that it probubly happens when someone put a lot of rounds down the barrel without cleaning first but that's just my idea.

jack19512
10-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I use the LLA and generally only get 3 shots before accuracy starts to fall off, but how many shots are you going to get with a muzzle loader while deer hunting anyway. I have never had any trouble at all when cleaning the barrel but I don't put that many shots through my muzzle loader at any one time before cleaning so I really can't say anything about the tar thing one way or another.

mikenbarb
10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Im going to mainly use it on my Lee REAL slugs because they dont give you a whole lot of room on them for lube. I also shoot the Maxi-Balls and think I will alox them also and just fill the bottom groove and see how they work. I will let you all know how I make out tommorow. Going to the range in the AM.:smile:

mooman76
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
They make a BP lube for cartridge rifles that is soft but not real soft so you can use it in a bullet sizer. Maybe that is something you could use. Just size what you need before you go out.

shotman
10-30-2008, 01:50 AM
I dont shoot as much as a lot of you but I have had good results with the REAL boolit and the bore buttons. I wipe after 5 shots. does good for me shotman

missionary5155
10-30-2008, 05:24 AM
REAL olive oil and beeswax also make a descent lube for BP applications... ... heat 1/2 teaspoon of beeswax to lquid and slowly mix some hot olive oil to the thickness you want. There is no CRISCO in some countries... but olive oil flows like a libral...

Doug Bowser
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I make my own lube. The last batch has lasted for 3 years and I still have some. I use beeswax and crisco 50-50. Heat it up in an old pan but do it outdoors.

I heated this mess up on the stove once and I was threatened with bodily harm by the Misses. I bought a Coleman one burner for this purpose. Took this operation outdoors. It makes great bullet lube and works well over the top of the balls in my Uberti ..44 Remington.

RBak
10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Like many others here, I have heard and read that the use of LLA in a Muzzleloader will bring the wrath of the Gods down on you...for sure.

A couple of years back myself and two others decided to test this old wives tale and see just how much truth there was in it.
Each of us used a Muzzleloader that was dedicated to nothing but the use of LLA...two hunting seasons later we all three, collectively, decided that if there was any truth in this story none of us was astute enough to see it.

I used it in a .54 GPR, and the other two were T/C Hawkens, a .50 and a .54.

I believe it was odinbreaker that mentioned the thought of many folks concerning "seasoning" a barrel...it just ain't done with todays steel.

The molecular structure of a modern steel barrel is quite different than that used by our forefathers in barrel making....but yat-ta-hay, unfortunately there are many other such stories associated with Muzzleloading, and they just simply refuse to die.:-?

Russ...

mikenbarb
10-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok, I went shooting the BP today and heres what the results are, I was shooting a Traditions Evolution with 80gr. American Pioneer powder and a Lee R.E.A.L. 320gr boolit lubed with liquid ALOX.
I shot 10 shots one after another with no cool down time and ran a few cleaning patches down the barrel and came up with minimul crud fouling with no lead deposits in it. I also ran the same boolit with liquid alox and the first groove lubed with bore butter and did the same with 10 shots and only came out with a real small amount of fouling more like lube crud and no lead noticed. I then ran 20 shots with no cool down between with ALOX lubed REAL boolits and after 20 shots I ran a few patches down the barrel and got almost the same results as with 10 shots except it did have a larger amount of crud fouling and still no lead fouling noticed. I am pretty convinced that the liquid alox will be good for what im doing and the accuracy with the Lee's was a little better than Maxi-Balls with just Bore Butter. Im going to run the same test tommorow with the 250gr but im going to increase the powder charge up to 100gr. of American Pioneer plus im going to use Pyrodex Select to see what the results are with it.

randyrat
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
REAL olive oil and beeswax also make a descent lube for BP applications... ... heat 1/2 teaspoon of beeswax to lquid and slowly mix some hot olive oil to the thickness you want. There is no CRISCO in some countries... but olive oil flows like a libral... Thats what i use for hand lotion, face protection in the winter, now i can use it for a BP lube also. Good idea!

northmn
11-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I do not know exactly why muzzleloaders would be different, but in my 45-70's I got the hard foulding with Allox that you are talking about. The foulding in the last foot of the barrel was hard and you could not get a decent group. When using BP lubes they straigthened out to a good shooter. This was with GOEX 2f. One thought may be that a ML may clean itself somewhat on loading where a cartridge gun does not. You do push a little crud down on top of the powder charge after the first shot or two. Mark a ramrod and compare a cleanbore load to a bore shot and not wiped a couple of times.

Northmn