PDA

View Full Version : My Dad, gone for 48 years

Doug Bowser
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
My Dad was born in Kittaning, PA on July 14, 1890. He served in the 42nd Infantry Division "Rainbow" in WW1. He was in the 3rd Ohio Machine Gun Battalion. His gun was the Colt-Marlin 1895 Potato Digger converted from .30-40 Krag to .30-06. He was wounded by schrapnel twice and Phosgene Gassed. The gas wound caused him to die at 70. His Brothers all lived to be in their late 90's.

Dad died on May 30, 1960. Memorial Day has a lot more meaning for me since then. We need to remember our departed servicemen. We owe them everything we have, including our freedoms.

Suo Gan
11-05-2008, 03:20 AM
It is good to keep the memory of those who made America great alive. It seems that every one of us is decended from these types of people, those with true grit and determination. My grandad walked to California from Oklahoma in the dustbowl, the other spent almost 700 days on the front in Europe during WWII! Today's generation needs to understand what they are inheriting, and that it did not come from nothing, it came from people like your Dad, God Bless Him!

Cast you later, SG