PDA

View Full Version : Covering for shooting deck - opions wanted

gsdelong
07-10-2019, 07:15 PM
I have a deck at my range that has typical deckboards for the floor.

After the normal shrinkage over time, I have groves that are just the right space for a 22 shell to fit into.

After spending too much time digging them all out before staining I decided some type of floor covering would be helpful.

This is under roof by the way but open on 2 1/2 sides to the weather.

So here is the question, I shoot everything from 17 Mach2 to 50 Beowulf and 440 GNR a lot of these get hot enough to burn.

My first idea was a roll of marine or astro turf carpeting, but I am concerned hot shells will burn it.

Obviously the first choice would be to respace the deck boards but do to the nature of my "enhancements" over time that is really not practical.

Have any of you come up with a solution to this issue.

joe leadslinger
07-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a caulking job to me. :)

ShooterAZ
07-10-2019, 07:54 PM
I would probably just replace the old wood boards with some 2x6 T&G, the butt joint kind with no v-groove.

Hogdaddy
07-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Indoor/outdoor carpet ; )
H/D

Hogtamer
07-10-2019, 08:06 PM
treated plywood over existing deck

Winger Ed.
07-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Shoot enough .22s to fill in the cracks.

Then mop it down with that roof coating for mobile homes.

Dusty Bannister
07-10-2019, 08:27 PM
It depends upon the size of the deck as to what might be most effective and not too expensive. Foam backer rod inserted in the gaps with a window screen rolling tool will set the foam material into the gap, and just do not get too carried away pushing it down into the gap. That will not rot, and remain flexible and if damaged, can be removed and replaced with new material. Only cover as much area as needed so will still allow drainage on the rest of the deck. My concern would be trapped moisture that might rot the rest of the deck, so you probably will want to treat it before installing the backer rod. Dusty

country gent
07-10-2019, 08:47 PM
I think I would try the rubber walk way mat just lay it down when needed and roll it up when not. This way it isn't holding moisture, isn't subject to damage when not needed or wanted. In Black brass cases will show up good and not be hidden. with the ribs cases should be contained better, and it can be swept with a broom or shook clean.

Conditor22
07-10-2019, 08:56 PM
This is your personal range?

A picture or 2 would be helpful

jsizemore
07-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Marine carpet made of Olefin pile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olefin_fiber

Notice the part about fire resistant.

I lap it over the edge and use aluminum strip to tack it in place. You made need to stretch in the future. You can glue it but it's a pain to pull up.

NyFirefighter357
07-11-2019, 12:11 AM
Indoor/outdoor carpet should be fine or get a horse stall mat. I might even try the foam backer rods caulking alone will sag out before cured.

gsdelong
07-11-2019, 04:46 AM
Thank you all for the input, I am leaning towards the marine carpet, I am going to get a sample to see if hot brass on it is an issue. I think a 5 x 8 piece may be big enough to lay flat on irs own.

lead-1
07-11-2019, 07:29 AM
A range that I visit has indoor outdoor carpet on the floor of the rifle shelter so if it gets wet its not slick.

winelover
07-11-2019, 07:44 AM
FWIW, I ordered my "fishing" pontoon with a vinyl floor rather than a carpeted one............so it's a viable option. Carpet hold moisture and sand and looks bad in just a few years.

Winelover

jonp
07-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Fireproof grill mats. Cut to fit https://www.amazon.com/PyroProtecto-Fireproof-Grill-Charcoal-protects-30-40/dp/B00TZ9ILOY

Minerat
07-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Go to the local gravel mine and talk to the mine manager to see if they have some remnants of conveyor belt in their bone yard you could buy. You can cut it to size using a razer knife and then nail it to the existing top.

GhostHawk
07-13-2019, 09:21 PM
I agree with winelover, I'd go vinyl. Won't hold moisture, should not burn enough to notice.

My local Mills Fleet Farm has 10x10 rolls quite inexpensive. Shop around.

Easy to clean with just a broom, much easier to pick up brass with a broom on vinyl than on carpet.

RED BEAR
07-13-2019, 11:44 PM
FWIW, I ordered my "fishing" pontoon with a vinyl floor rather than a carpeted one............so it's a viable option. Carpet hold moisture and sand and looks bad in just a few years.

Winelover

Doesn't the vinyl get slick when wet? Maybe not if it's used on boat.

winelover
07-14-2019, 06:24 AM
Doesn't the vinyl get slick when wet? Maybe not if it's used on boat.

I't has a textured/dimpled surface.

Winelover

dverna
07-14-2019, 08:06 AM
Horse stall mat at Tractor Supply is what I plan to put on my rear porch deck.

jsizemore
07-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Thank you all for the input, I am leaning towards the marine carpet, I am going to get a sample to see if hot brass on it is an issue. I think a 5 x 8 piece may be big enough to lay flat on irs own.

The wind always picks up about the time I'm stepping on the edge of the loose carpet with my hands full. Good thing I practiced falling and getting thrown when young or I'd have something broken..... so far. I found some wood to knock on.

Geezer in NH
07-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Re-space the decking so a 22rf will pass through the crack. 10 years later if many 22's are shot mine the brass from under.

gsdelong
07-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Re-space the decking so a 22rf will pass through the crack. 10 years later if many 22's are shot mine the brass from under.

Unfortunately after adding the shooting, bench sitting bench and several other “additions” taking up and respacing the deck is not an option. Besides I shoot a lot of calibers, if a 22lr would drop through my guess is that the 22tcm is just going to be my next issue.

I also like the spacing for winter so the snow does not sit, melt and the refreeze over and over.

I am really thinking something that can but put down and rolled up when not need, over the winter, is my best bet. That just raised the melting issue.

Thanks for everyone’s input.