PDA

View Full Version : 459-405HB a good choice for Marlin 1895?

Stopsign32v
07-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Will the hollow base of this mold work ok in a Marlin 1895 in both smokeless loads and black powder loads?

Larry Gibson
07-09-2019, 05:26 PM
That bullet is a replica of the original M1873 bullet. The "HB" (hollow base) is a misnomer as it is actually called a "dish" and is there to regulate the weight of the bullet consistent with specified external dimensions. The HB cavity was not intended to function ala' Minie style or as a HB is expected to obturate filling the grooves. The skirt of that bullet is way too thick. A good FB of appropriate diameter to begin with would be a better choice.

Stopsign32v
07-09-2019, 07:17 PM
That bullet is a replica of the original M1873 bullet. The "HB" (hollow base) is a misnomer as it is actually called a "dish" and is there to regulate the weight of the bullet consistent with specified external dimensions. The HB cavity was not intended to function ala' Minie style or as a HB is expected to obturate filling the grooves. The skirt of that bullet is way too thick. A good FB of appropriate diameter to begin with would be a better choice.

I was very curious of that myself. The skirts looked way too thick to actually allow expansion.

rloadr
07-09-2019, 10:25 PM
I use it mine and have very good results. Run it through my Baikal double and NEF buffalo classic and it does well in them as well. It is my go to bullet for 45-70