PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

blackthorn
07-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Love of my life has been on a "gotta get rid of junk" crusade for awhile now. A couple of weeks ago she gathered up a box (or 3) for the local hospice thrift store. In doing so she threw out a bunch of miscellaneous electrical device cables, among which was the power cord for an old spare computer. So, to the question--- is any old power cord useable or are they matched to a particular computer? Thanks in advance.

shaune509
07-06-2019, 08:37 PM
the cords used for the 120vac office type are all interchangeable. lap tops and some printers [ie HP] use remote transformers that are more brand specific.
Shaune509

wv109323
07-06-2019, 10:12 PM
I would not say any old power cord but most for computers are the same. Look at the computer and see what is needed. They usually have one side rounded and the other side square so that it can only be plugged in one way. They are not brand specific.

dangitgriff
07-07-2019, 12:25 AM
Power requirements vary, check the wattage on any that you find that fits your computer.
—Griff

Traffer
07-07-2019, 01:08 AM
Love of my life has been on a "gotta get rid of junk" crusade for awhile now. A couple of weeks ago she gathered up a box (or 3) for the local hospice thrift store. In doing so she threw out a bunch of miscellaneous electrical device cables, among which was the power cord for an old spare computer. So, to the question--- is any old power cord useable or are they matched to a particular computer? Thanks in advance.

I would offer to send you one but I see you live in Canada and it would take a few months for you to get it. If there is a mom and pop computer store near you and if they are any kind of quality human beings they will give you one free.

dangitgriff
07-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Excellent suggestion, Traffer.

blackthorn
07-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Thanks to all who replied. Good suggestions and info. I am sure I will be able to figure something out.