PDA

View Full Version : rcbs cowboy dies 30-30

PAndy
07-04-2019, 07:48 PM
I am thinking about getting a cowboy die set for my 30-30. It is my understanding they are set up mostly for cast bullets. Has anyone used these dies for jacketed loads? Is there enough neck tension?

barrabruce
07-06-2019, 11:59 AM
I got given a set of std RCBS dies and they are kinda tight and work the brass a heap.
Might be my larger chamber.
But they work for full length sizing range pick -ups.

I suppose that’s why they make M dies so you can open the necks to what you need.

Mic the expander button and deduct a thou for spring back.

I detest having to do anything but wipe over the outside and re-prime my brass these days.
So I haven’t needed to use but simple tools for a few years.

A firm slipfit and a little crimp is all you should need.

Taterhead
07-07-2019, 05:02 PM
What you get with Cowboy dies (other than the antiqued finish and rings) are typically a wee bit larger expander and a seating stem that is more suitable for cast boolit profiles. The sizing dies have the same dimensions as standard dies.

quilbilly
07-07-2019, 05:26 PM
I have been using the just RCBS Cowboy seating die for my 30/30 for about 9 years. I am shooting strictly cast out of the rifles. One of the interesting things about that seater die is that if I use a moderately soft lead (but not soft pure which is too soft for my uses) the seater puts an 1/8" flat nose on the round nose 160's. If that tube detonation theory is true, that flat nose not only makes the RNGC's safer but improves their hunting potential. That little flat nose really had a significant improved hunting effect on the plain base 130 gr boolits from the Lyman mold I use for coyotes at an MV of 1300.