PDA

View Full Version : Got an old friend back yesterday, and it is going to stay here!

koger
07-04-2019, 03:54 PM
As most of us do, in trading and swapping, we occasionally make a trade we regret! About 10 years ago, I had a Jonathan Browning Mountain rifle, .45 caliber in mint, unfired condition. I never did shoot it, but have shot one a buddy has a lot, and they are great tack drivers. I kept it for a year or so, and never did shoot it since I had several custom ML's that I shot in competition. Eventually a friend had to have it, and I made a great deal, for me. Time has went on and I checked with him and he never shot it, just showed it to friends and kept her clean. A few weeks ago he traded it into our local gunshop, which has a soft spot for ML's. I found that out and had been scheming on how to get it, without paying an arm and a leg. Last week I was up in Lexington at a LGS and saw a mint, unfired T/C Cherokee. I dreaded to look at the price, but when I picked it up the tag read $285! I asked him if he could do any better and he said that would include tax. I paid the gent and left quickly, hardly believing my good luck never even got home with it. I stopped by the gun shop, did a quick wipe down with an oily rag and went in. I knew he loved the Cherokees, and he had one in .32 and .36, but not as slick as this one in .45. I showed him the rifle and he was hooked, and asked me how much. I told him it was not how much, but what, and I would trade it to the Browning, even up. With a little haggling, I threw in a nice knife, that I had $8 in, a flea market find, that cleaned up as new, and had never been sharpened, a Estwing that was worth about $60. He eagerly got the browning and handed it to me, and I was off to home. I hope to get out and shoot it tomorrow or this weekend, but it is a keeper, and I hope it stays with me the rest of my days! Just thought I would share.

Wayne Smith
07-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Wonderful story an congratulations! Now shoot that thing, you've been waiting way too long!

rfd
07-04-2019, 07:08 PM
great story, good for you! hope she shoots well enuf for ya to stay for good!

Markopolo
07-04-2019, 07:35 PM
Don’t let it sit around this time or it migh run off and find a new home again...

Texasgunnut
07-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Love it when a plan comes together. Congratulations sir.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Wow! Didn't you get lucky! Fate moves in mysterious ways. I hope it exceeds your expectations.

pietro
07-04-2019, 09:33 PM

I like the way you roll - KUDO'S ! !

TheOutlawKid
07-04-2019, 09:42 PM
What a story! Its great to hear when things work out like that

waksupi
07-05-2019, 08:30 AM
I belong to a group who used to have a couple big trade sessions every year. At one of these, one of the guys had a really nice flintlock rifle I liked, so I traded for it. It sure seemed familiar, and after I had shot it a few times, I thought I should do a detail strip and be sure there was no serious rust in the barrel channel. Well, I got the barrel out, and found my name and date from about 20 years previous on the barrel. So, I traded back for one of my own rifles! I thought it looked kind of familiar, but didn't remember building it!