PDA

View Full Version : The old Model 1894 at the range.

David LaPell
07-04-2019, 11:18 AM
I decided today, whether hell or high water I was going to shoot the 1894.

I had some original Winchester factory ammo, and I shot it at 25 yards, the target on the left showed two rounds close together and one flyer, but still a 1-inch group. The target on the right was the rest of the ammo, notice the group in the upper left. That's a five shot group that's well under an inch. Not bad for this gun considering the outside of the barrel and what the rest of the gun looks like. Other than the feeding issue, this old rifle is a downright joy to shoot, it reminds me of the 1894 in .38-55 I had twenty years ago. I hunted with that gun, never got to take a deer with it, but you can bet I will be hunting with this gun even if I have to run it as a single shot.

https://i.imgur.com/utk9GZQ.jpg?1

scattershot
07-04-2019, 11:20 AM
That’s amazing! Judging from the outside appearance, I wouldn’t expect it to shoot at all. Good luck with it this fall.

Bazoo
07-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Probably do better if ya had a complete rear sight. Thanks for sharing, very neat.

David LaPell
07-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Probably do better if ya had a complete rear sight. Thanks for sharing, very neat.

It's complete, just not an original Winchester sight. I've never actually seen one like this sight before.

rking22
07-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Rear sight is missing the blade that is clamped to the existing vertical piece by two screws. If the sight picture suits you then all is ok, but will be hard to zero at a useful tandem due to the missing height. I bet she will shoot cast well.

David LaPell
07-05-2019, 12:19 PM
I see what you mean, found what I needed on Ebay and got it coming. Have to get some more ammo anyway and get a set of dies for it.

Maine1
07-11-2019, 02:19 PM
hard to kill a 94