PDA

View Full Version : Difference between *re*-loading and *hand*-loading....

Dutchman
07-03-2019, 10:54 PM
> .30 carbine reloads
> K31 reloads
> 6.5 mm swede reloads

Our dear Yodar....

May we consider for a moment, the tiny word used
thrice times before the cock crowed.....

........."reloads".

I suppose it could be said, if loading cases that had
been fired previous, that we were in fact RE-loading.
But there is a rather vulgar sound to this word as it
suggests, nay, screams outright to the world that
you are of the proletariat, an utterly distasteful and
repugnant suggestion. A commonality of emesis
provocation, sir.

If we load new cases, how can this be RE-loading?
Is this not HAND-loading? Does this not denote a
more precise and eloquent activity, a foray among
the more bourgeoisie and acceptable of humanity?
We may say this in mixed company with the tip of
our hat, strolling on a sunday morning, "I must
return to my abode shortly and complete the
handloading of my ammunition." There is an artistic
accuracy, my good man, when displaying a competancy
of linguistic skill that demands respect in the community.

People have ~hands~. To refer to such a technical
and pleasureable aspect of our hobby with a misnomer
does it grave injustice, me'thinks. In the future there
could be an inditement from the World Court for
mis-use of a word. You can't say "impossible, that
Dutchie fellow is smoking crack". It could well happen
and just the mere fact that it could happen makes it
an entirely credible suggestion to make and use as
a means of control of the less knowing populace,
and those who resist authority otherwise.

Let us be hopeful that by using terminology compatable
with the practice we may keep you out of prison. It would
be a terrible injustice to the world to have to collect your
sage advise, not to mention recipies, via prison courier.

something to think about,
Dutch

(Dear World Court..... I know this fellow named Yodar.......)

Hick
07-03-2019, 10:58 PM
I tried hand loading, but my fingers are too fat to hold the powder and my hands aren't strong enough to shove the bullet into the case, so I use reloading equipment.

Bazoo
07-03-2019, 11:16 PM
In my opinion, if only one operation per pull of the handle is done, it's hand loading. While if every pull of the handle results in a completed cartridge, it's reloading.

salpal48
07-03-2019, 11:28 PM
I take a direct offense when someone Calls me a Reloader. I "Handload" each Individual Cartridge , Not using any progressive machines . My way Of thinking weather You Like it or not , individuals who Use Fully Progressive presses ie, dillons, Lee, Hornady etc are not HandLoaders But " Reloaders". Reason: You just supply useless Labor . The machine has removed your skill from the process, with no skill, = No knowledge. No knowledge if It's correct Or no Knowledge if it's wrong

dangitgriff
07-03-2019, 11:41 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190704/cefe69fa390a18a579508fb6b191ef47.jpg

Tom W.
07-03-2019, 11:51 PM
Naw, that ain't it.... When you put another round into the chamber you are reloading. When you fill your meticulously cared for brass with primers, powder and a projectile that's handloading.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

am44mag
07-04-2019, 12:04 AM
I just want to make ammo. I never really cared what the name of the process was.

reddog81
07-04-2019, 12:09 AM
Progressive vs. single stage takes just as much skill to setup and get everything running correctly. The progressive press is just a smarter option if you shoot a bunch...

I don’t really worry about the terminology. I’m just trying to make the best cartridges I can in a reasonable amount of time so I can shoot as much as I’d like.

M-Tecs
07-04-2019, 12:15 AM
Don't know don't care. What I do know is there is no real difference in skill or knowledge required to produce quality ammo regardless of method used to produce it. You can make the case that progressive's are more complicated so they require more skill and knowledge.

JBinMN
07-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Here is how some define the terms:

Handloading or reloading is the process of loading firearm cartridges or shotgun shells by assembling the individual components (case/hull, primer, powder, and bullet/shot), rather than purchasing completely assembled, factory-loaded ammunition.
The term handloading is the more general term, as it refers to assembly of ammunition using components from any source.
Reloading refers more specifically to the assembly of ammunition re-using cases or shells from previously fired ammunition.
The terms are often used interchangeably, as the techniques are largely the same whether using new or previously fired components.
The differences lie in the preparation of the cases or shells; new components are generally ready to load, while previously fired components often need cleaning, removal of expended primers, and possibly other preparation to make them ready to load.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading

I just use the term "handloading" for those who actually go from casting lead for their own boolits thru the process to the assembled round using new un-fired or fired cases/hulls.

I use the term, "reloading" for the ones who just re-load rounds that have already been fired, but do not cast.

I can see how the rest of the previous posts all have some merit for their ways of definition though, as well.

To each their own, I suppose...

I am not gonna lose any sleep over it though.
;)

toallmy
07-04-2019, 06:35 AM
When people ask me about reloading , I say I don't reload I custom load my ammunition .

brass410
07-04-2019, 06:51 AM
tomato or tomahtoe I think its all good, myself I recycle my ammo , cause you know recycling is good for the environment !!!! and its feel good for me , and its just the right thing to do. (geez I feel like I should hug a tree) call it what you want we all know what it does so who cares.

T_McD
07-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Both are offensive. I create only the finest artisanal custom ammo.

cat-mechanic
07-04-2019, 03:01 PM
I believe Jerry Miculek is the only person I have ever seen hand load ammo.

Fast forward to the 2 minute 30 second mark and watch from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiC7EGJGjvs

redhawk0
07-04-2019, 03:10 PM
I always thought handloading was done on a hand-held press...like the old 310s or the Lee Loader. Reloading was done on any press type apparatus.

redhawk

mozeppa
07-04-2019, 04:34 PM
all this talk is UNPOSSIBLE!

BigAlofPa.
07-04-2019, 04:46 PM
I tell folks i load my own ammo.

oldred
07-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Obviously they are ALL "Hand loads" but unless we are "Re" using the brass nothing is being "RE" used! So it follows that if all the components are new, new unfired brass, then they are simply "Hand loads" and are NOT "RE Loads".

It really is confusing two different terms, Hand loads would refer to any load that is assembled by hand other than produced on automated factory machinery while a "RE" load would still be a "Re" load regardless whether it is loaded by hand or recycled through automated machinery (Don 't know if that is even done anywhere or not).

So it's not a question of whether they are "RE" Loads or Hand loads since neither term specifically applies to the other, if we assemble them by hand then they are ALL "Hand" Loads regardless whether or not they go through the extra prep of de-priming and such that is not required with all new components. If we use all new components then they are simply "Hand loads" but when we re-use cases they are still "Hand loads" but also "RE" Loads!

country gent
07-04-2019, 06:08 PM
The difference in ammo is there are those who do very little work up research testing or qc. Just pick a load from book or internet. Then there are those whose qc in meticulous weighed bullets, powder charges weighed some are even going to .02 grain scales, cases weighed cleaned uniformed, neck tension adjusted to optimum. and a lot of testing to prove what's best. This is handloaded or custom loaded ammo. Ammo tailored to the gun and job at hand. The uy loading blasting ammo with a progressive using components as is not weighing charges and more concerned with rate of production over ultimate accuracy is a reloader. I don't mean this in a derogatory sense everyone has their requirements and what they need. I have done both again depending on the requirements of the ammo

lightman
07-04-2019, 07:50 PM
To me, hand loading is loading ammo with new brass and reloading is loading ammo in fired brass. But I don't really care what you call it.

GARD72977
07-04-2019, 07:56 PM
I couldn't care less but I did enjoy the post.

Walks
07-04-2019, 08:17 PM
I think My DAD could do that too.

kevin c
07-04-2019, 08:32 PM
And then there's hand cast (I figure, if I have to use my hands to actually produce a boolit, then that's hand cast), machine cast (I pushed a button after setting up and filling the pot and then watch them being made with my hands in my pockets), and commercially cast (I used my hands to pull out my wallet). There's also the difficult issue of whether to be precise and reserve the term "recast" only for boolits made from range lead (that which was a boolit is born anew).

Gotta get the lingo down... 8^p

salpal48
07-04-2019, 10:49 PM
To Re- Load or Hand-Load that is the question

David2011
07-05-2019, 01:57 AM
All of my hand loads are crafted on single or progressive presses. The same care goes into the setup regardless of the type of press. The real work is in the load development. After that it is just a matter of repetitively replicating the loads as accurately as possible with the chosen tools.

waksupi
07-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Read the first post in this topic.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222520-Why-some-new-members-will-do-better-than-others-here

redhawk0
07-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Read the first post in this topic.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222520-Why-some-new-members-will-do-better-than-others-here

Excellent....

redhawk

swheeler
07-08-2019, 10:00 AM
I believe Jerry Miculek is the only person I have ever seen hand load ammo.

Fast forward to the 2 minute 30 second mark and watch from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiC7EGJGjvs

This video is the only part of this thread that makes any sense. I am amazed that Jerry and I use the same mouth wash and tooth paste!

Arkansas Paul
07-08-2019, 11:39 AM
There is a story that in the 1957 World Series, a young Hank Aaron, who was batting .322 that season, came to the plate.
As he took his stance in the batter's box, Yogi Berra decided to give him some advice.
He told him he was supposed to hold the bat label up, where you could read the words printed on it.
Hank Aaron's response. "I didn't come up here to read."

I just want to load ammunition and then go shoot it.
I don't go to my bench to contemplate what to call the process.

OS OK
07-08-2019, 12:18 PM
We sound like a gaggle of old women sitting around the quilting frame...bicker, bicker & bicker som'more.

bob208
07-08-2019, 12:37 PM
when you do it to sell it is reloading for your self it is hand loading.

or I reload my rifle with hand loads to shoot another target.

or muzzle loading the first shot is a hand load after that it is reloading.

DrDucati
07-10-2019, 02:49 PM
I don't load ammo...I load brass. I craft ammo.

slim1836
07-10-2019, 03:24 PM
I just reload my brass, plain and simple. YMMV

Slim

Sig556r
07-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Best to use Reloading as it is closely related to lib-term Recycling
Handloading has masculine-toxicity sound to it...

Texas by God
07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry I fell asleep around Post Number One.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Budzilla 19
07-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Hilarious!! I enjoyed this little foray into the discussions of the proper terms for manufacturing,( which technically is what we are doing) your own ammunition!!! Hahahhaha!!!

fatelk
07-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Let me see if I have this right:

"Handloader"

VS. "Re-Loader"?

KCSO
07-11-2019, 11:09 AM
45 Colt or long colt? Revolver or Semi auto? Now this! Excuse me while I stuff some round in my CLIP.

Texas by God
07-11-2019, 01:51 PM
45 Colt or long colt? Revolver or Semi auto? Now this! Excuse me while I stuff some round in my CLIP.I load them there clips with bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mr_Sheesh
07-12-2019, 07:54 AM
OK, the M1 Garand guys've checked in :p

6bg6ga
07-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Does it really matter?