PDA

View Full Version : Revolvers are awesome

wulfman92
07-03-2019, 10:16 PM
I had the first chance to go to the range today for a good while due to some house and landscaping projects. Lately, I’ve been shooting USPSA or some sort of practice with the semi autos, but today I decided I would take out the cowboy action stuff and another revolver. Now obviously when I shoot any of my semi autos, the brass flings and flies and I spend 3/4 of my time picking up brass. It’s not just picking up brass either, it’s 3/4 of my time bending over, shirt getting untucked, underoos getting bunched up, heartburn acting up, etc. I might be slightly dramatic, I don’t know. Anyways, shooting the revolvers today was a blast! No flying brass, no having to bend over, no being uncomfortable, and it’s fun! I felt great after shooting today!

Markopolo
07-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Amen to that...

ShooterAZ
07-03-2019, 10:23 PM
I love shooting my revolvers too, and I have a bunch of them. I don't particularly like chasing brass either. The older I get, the more I appreciate my revolvers! Glad you got out and had fun, because that's what it's all about.

Mal Paso
07-03-2019, 10:39 PM
No Bottom Feeders here. Dump bag or back in the box, my brass never hits the ground. Gets sized and deprimed before tumbling using the same fine lube I use on the boolits. 44 Mag pressure blows a thin coat of soft lube everywhere, cases are lubed for sizing before it's boolit hits the target. LOL

Powder Coat never turned my head, this is just too easy. Got stainless pin tumbling down, washing with Dawn, rinse and a dip in Car Wash/Wax before dry.

lead-1
07-04-2019, 01:25 AM
Like my revolvers here also, one day my youngest son ask why I was shooting that antique stuff as he was picking up a couple mags of brass and I dumped my cylinder, smiled and said I ain't picking up my brass. He just laughed and agreed with me.
BTW, this was also his first time around full wadcutters and couldn't believe the perfect cut holes in the target.

Petander
07-04-2019, 03:29 AM
Yep,my thoughts exactly. I was at the range yesterday,shooting only one revolver. Felt great.

Brass chasing is quite a big distraction indeed... if not,add snow.

Bookworm
07-04-2019, 05:17 AM
I find myself choosing to shoot revolvers almost every time, and my auto-loaders move slowly to the back of the safe.

I usually spread a tarp to catch my brass when shooting the brass-flingers, but I find myself not wanting to spend that time either.

dverna
07-04-2019, 06:53 AM
We bought a pair for plinking for that reason.

DCP
07-04-2019, 08:15 AM
I love to shoot both, hate picking up brass!

georgerkahn
07-04-2019, 08:25 AM
I cheerfully add similar positive thoughts! I might add, too, I recently acquired a Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt, and reckoned trying WAX bullets might be worth a try. I bought a bag of 1,000 for $28.00 delivered, and one just pushes one into a primed case...and fires! As much as I love to shoot the revolver with "real lead" at the range, at camp the powder-noise would be waaaay too loud -- but, I can sit on a chair, and shoot, shoot, shoot at camp! I have a plain-Jane cardboard box I use as a target, and bion at ~15 yards, all the bullets go through the front; maybe 1/2 all the way through, with the balance just leaving a dent on box inside.
Perhaps still ANOTHER way to reinforce the fun of revolver shooting!
geo

aap2
07-04-2019, 08:35 AM
I have a bunch of semiauto pistols, including a Sig X5 Classic which is a great gun, but lately I shoot mainly revolvers. Shooting my Webley MKVI and S&W m36 is a blast and it’s nice to dump the empty shells into a box as opposed to bending over to pick them up.

jsizemore
07-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Finding brass in pasture grass is no fun especially when the bugs are out. They find the only area that doesn't have repellent when you bend over. Revolvers in the summer and autoloaders in the winter.

white eagle
07-04-2019, 10:31 AM
a whole lot to be said about not picking up brass
I have give it up and leave them lay only one's I pick up
are for the 224 Valkeryie and 6.5 Creedmoor
leave the 45 acp in the dirt

FISH4BUGS
07-04-2019, 10:56 AM
I only have 2 semi autos - a S&W 3914 9mm that I have had since they came out about a hundred years ago, and a suppressed Ruger 22....everyone should have at LEAST one suppressed 22 pistol.....just sort of a necessity in my book.
But the revolvers get by far the most shooting. I'd venture to say I shoot 100 rounds of revolver for each round of pistol.
The 3914 is ALMOST like a revolver with DA on the first shot.....but then you still have to pick up the brass.

Froogal
07-04-2019, 03:49 PM
a whole lot to be said about not picking up brass
I have give it up and leave them lay only one's I pick up
are for the 224 Valkeryie and 6.5 Creedmoor
leave the 45 acp in the dirt

I have enough 9mm that I really do not need to pick up the spent brass, but I do because I don't like the noise when I run over it with the lawnmower.

BigAlofPa.
07-04-2019, 05:01 PM
I made a catch bin when shooting semi-auto from the bench. It's a steel tub. I lined it with rubber roofing. If im going to be doing a lot of standing shooting i have a portable gazebo that i attach a tarp to the side to. It catches most of the brass. Im getting a 40sw /10mm revolver tomorrow. That will be a nice change up.

richhodg66
07-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Just shot 50 rounds of .38 Special this afternoon here. Probably 90% or better of my handgun shooting the past several years has been revolvers, just so much easier to deal with and I generally shoot them better too.

brewer12345
07-04-2019, 07:18 PM
I have grown to appreciate my semi autos, but my favorites are still revolvers. I shoot a lot of 38 special with about every type of boolit imaginable.

Even learned to powder coat solely to fix leading problems in my favorite wheel gun.

Silvercreek Farmer
07-04-2019, 09:32 PM
The brass throwers are for emergency only...

snowwolfe
07-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Interesting topic. The older I get the higher % of handguns at my house are revolvers.

kayala
07-04-2019, 11:07 PM
Lol I'm in the same boat. More and more when I go to the range I look at my bottom feeders and pick revolvers; that way I can enjoy shooting instead of watching where my brass is landing :D

David2011
07-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Even though I have some very nice semi-autos including an STI Edge, Browning Hi-Power and some custom 1911s I enjoy the revolvers. My favorites are a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, a Colt Trooper Mk III and a S&W Model 19 that still looks new.

Thin Man
07-05-2019, 07:28 AM
When I started shooting there were only two types of firearms from which to choose - a revolver or a "jam-o-matic" as most semi-autos were called at that time (yup, I'm that old). Yes, there were a few reliable semis in the market, namely the Colt Woodsman and the 1911A1. Time passed and the manufacturers got quality control and engineering technology up to the point that most semis are now reliable. Once the police departments began the shift over to semis there were tons of revolvers available for sale. That made me happy as quality handguns became more available and for lower prices. Without any question I have many more revolvers than semis but appreciate both for what they offer. My heart and trust remain in the revolver camp and will always be there.

Thumbcocker
07-05-2019, 08:33 AM
No magazine to get damaged or lose, no controls to work, power of ammunition is adjustable over a wide range, multiple bullet or boolit configurations, no brass to catch, simple operation to name a few reasons. What's not to like?

quilbilly
07-05-2019, 12:59 PM
It is wonderful to know there are so many who feel as I do about chasing brass around the countryside.

Tracy
07-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Best handgun for serious use = revolver.
Most reliable = revolver.
Best for the handloader = revolver.
Most fun = revolver.

For me, autoloaders are just an occasional diversion.
And btw, the jammamatics didn't become more reliable because of quality control and better technology. They became more reliable because manufacturers started building them with larger clearances and ramped chambers. The technology just allows them to build them cheaper.
I've noticed too that people now accept and even consider to be "premium," stuff most people used to deride. In the late '40s people hated the new, cheap Remingtons with stamped parts and other cheap manufacturing shortcuts. In 1964, Winchester fans hated the stamped parts and cheaper designs. Now people embrace stuff that employs far cheaper manufacturing tech. Look at all the stamped parts in a Glock sometime.

David2011
07-05-2019, 05:16 PM
And btw, the jammamatics didn't become more reliable because of quality control and better technology. They became more reliable because manufacturers started building them with larger clearances and ramped chambers. The technology just allows them to build them cheaper.
I've noticed too that people now accept and even consider to be "premium," stuff most people used to deride. In the late '40s people hated the new, cheap Remingtons with stamped parts and other cheap manufacturing shortcuts. In 1964, Winchester fans hated the stamped parts and cheaper designs. Now people embrace stuff that employs far cheaper manufacturing tech. Look at all the stamped parts in a Glock sometime.

That's interesting. What is built to more generous tolerances than a true Mil-Spec 1911-A1? A good 1911 (not a Mil-Spec) is hand fit to very close tolerances. That is not a cheaper way to build. Ramped barrels require additional machining and fitting; again, not a cheaper way to build a reliable 1911. My STI Edge is a hand fitted gun from Bob Dawson and it has about 90,000 rounds through it and the only times it has failed to extract and feed were due to a broken Recoil Master assembly, a broken extractor and a broken slide stop. Those all occurred between 30,000 and 50,000 rounds.

Agree about the cheaper parts. There are some high priced 1911s on the market that have high profile brand names that are full of MIM parts with the mold flashing and bumps still present when they're delivered to the retailer.

Yes, most of the Glock's internals are stamped. They are, OTOH, know for reliably extracting and feeding just about anything they're fed.

Yes, revolvers are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

waksupi
07-06-2019, 09:14 AM
I'm getting rid of most of my bottom feeders. I find as I get older, the ground is much further away than it used to be when it comes time to pick up the brass.

RED BEAR
07-06-2019, 09:54 AM
My wife absolutely refuses to carry a auto revolvers only. I was always an auto man just loved them and with a little love any can be made to feed reliably . But as i get older and further from the ground i just can't bend and pick up the brass. I have found new appreciation for my revolvers. My wife says told you more than i care to hear but thats just the way it goes.

Love Life
07-06-2019, 10:10 AM
I love revolvers. When roaming the wilds a revolver is what I have 99% of the time. Either a model 28 filled loaded with the 358429 over a stiff load of unique in 38 special brass, or a single action chambered in 45 colt loaded with 250 gr bullet over 8.5 gr of unique.

When it comes to the auto loaders I have a boat load of brass. If shooting on concrete or a flat surface I’ll just sweep it up and dump it in the range bag.

robg
07-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Revolvers are greener ,liberals should appreciate that ,no polluting brass !

gnostic
07-06-2019, 10:23 AM
I hate picking up brass, but it's the trigger on the revolver that really sets them apart...

Tracy
07-06-2019, 10:30 AM
That's interesting. What is built to more generous tolerances than a true Mil-Spec 1911-A1? A good 1911 (not a Mil-Spec) is hand fit to very close tolerances. That is not a cheaper way to build. Ramped barrels require additional machining and fitting; again, not a cheaper way to build a reliable 1911. My STI Edge is a hand fitted gun from Bob Dawson and it has about 90,000 rounds through it and the only times it has failed to extract and feed were due to a broken Recoil Master assembly, a broken extractor and a broken slide stop. Those all occurred between 30,000 and 50,000 rounds.

Agree about the cheaper parts. There are some high priced 1911s on the market that have high profile brand names that are full of MIM parts with the mold flashing and bumps still present when they're delivered to the retailer.

Yes, most of the Glock's internals are stamped. They are, OTOH, know for reliably extracting and feeding just about anything they're fed.

Yes, revolvers are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

A Glock, to start with. Probably all of the newer designs. I wasn't talking about 1911s, especially high dollar hand-fitted 1911s.
As for reliability, Hi-Points are also known for cycling anything they're fed.

And sure, guys who have never even fired a revolver "know" that Glocks cycle anything they're fed, are indestructible and last forever. They "know" the same thing about AKs, too.

Btw, my only remaining 1911 is a Norinco. Made in the '80s in China. All forged, unmodified, and it feeds and fires the 452424 Keith bullet, accurately.

jonp
07-06-2019, 04:25 PM
I've got a safe or two full of plastic but I always take my revolvers on vacation

jonp
07-06-2019, 04:27 PM
My wife absolutely refuses to carry a auto revolvers only. I was always an auto man just loved them and with a little love any can be made to feed reliably . But as i get older and further from the ground i just can't bend and pick up the brass. I have found new appreciation for my revolvers. My wife says told you more than i care to hear but thats just the way it goes.

I've bought my wife a gun safe full but she always reaches for my...um....her Chiefs Special

skeettx
07-06-2019, 04:42 PM
My Wife's favorite is the S&W Model 15 4" with Service grips.
Mike

reddhawkk
07-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Started with revolvers, got some autos, back to mostly revolvers. The autos I like the most are my S&W and Ruger .22 target autos, my Glock, and my 1911. Revolvers, Colt SAA, Ruger Blackhawks, and a couple of older Colts.

Tracy
07-06-2019, 04:57 PM
I've got a safe or two full of plastic but I always take my revolvers on vacation

When I travel out of state I usually take a Glock. That way if it doesn't make it back home with me, it's not a huge loss. I can just pick up another one if I want to.

Texas by God
07-06-2019, 05:14 PM
The difference between revolvers and autos for me is that I have all the autos I want or need. I can't say the same about revolvers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RED BEAR
07-06-2019, 08:20 PM
I've bought my wife a gun safe full but she always reaches for my...um....her Chiefs Special

Wife had a charter arms 32 mag that she really liked but after a couple of ftf. She would have none of it. Sent it back and transfer bar was bad seems to work well now but that was it for her. Claims she wants nothing to do with a gun that doesn't go bang every time you pull the trigger. She carries a sw airweight now and is very happy. And since she is happy i am happy.

FISH4BUGS
07-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Just added to my revolver stash yesterday - a mint 1969 made Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Still 3 screw and not converted. I'll shoot it today!!

RED BEAR
07-07-2019, 08:28 AM
A Glock, to start with. Probably all of the newer designs. I wasn't talking about 1911s, especially high dollar hand-fitted 1911s.
As for reliability, Hi-Points are also known for cycling anything they're fed.

And sure, guys who have never even fired a revolver "know" that Glocks cycle anything they're fed, are indestructible and last forever. They "know" the same thing about AKs, too.

Btw, my only remaining 1911 is a Norinco. Made in the '80s in China. All forged, unmodified, and it feeds and fires the 452424 Keith bullet, accurately.

I have to debate glocks being indestructible saw a couple that came a bit to close to a heat source it wernt pretty them pretty plastic handles sort of reformed a bit. As for everything else never owned one so i cant say.

Tracy
07-07-2019, 09:51 AM
I have to debate glocks being indestructible saw a couple that came a bit to close to a heat source it wernt pretty them pretty plastic handles sort of reformed a bit. As for everything else never owned one so i cant say.

No debate from me. How many first generation Glocks do you see around any more? Plenty of them haven't survived. I doubt my grandkids will ever see a 50+ year old Glock, let alone fire one. But there are plenty of 100 year old revolvers (and autoloaders too) that still work fine.

Tracy
07-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Just added to my revolver stash yesterday - a mint 1969 made Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Still 3 screw and not converted. I'll shoot it today!!

Nice! Great find.

RED BEAR
07-07-2019, 02:48 PM
No debate from me. How many first generation Glocks do you see around any more? Plenty of them haven't survived. I doubt my grandkids will ever see a 50+ year old Glock, let alone fire one. But there are plenty of 100 year old revolvers (and autoloaders too) that still work fine.

Being one who loves the old guns i have quite a few that are well over 100 years old and still going strong.

Idaho45guy
07-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Seriously? First of all, do you have any idea just how few first generation Glocks were produced and imported into the US? About 70,000. That's six years of sales, beginning in 1986.

Second, Glocks were first sold in 1982 and began being imported into the US in 1986. So they've been around for nearly 40 years with tens of thousands still functioning just fine. Please explain to me how they will begin suddenly no longer functioning in another ten years?? And while you're at it, why don't you give me an example of a Glock wearing out solely due to age. How many revolvers have gone to the wayside due to rust and frames cracking?

And if you really, seriously think that polymer weapons won't last 50 years, do you not realize that the Remington Nylon 66 was first produced in 1959 and there are plenty of those still working just fine 60 years later?

I get that you don't like polymer pistols. Fine. But don't just make up ridiculous reasons and say crazy things that have no basis in reality or fact.

RED BEAR
07-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Seriously? First of all, do you have any idea just how few first generation Glocks were produced and imported into the US? About 70,000. That's six years of sales, beginning in 1986.

Second, Glocks were first sold in 1982 and began being imported into the US in 1986. So they've been around for nearly 40 years with tens of thousands still functioning just fine. Please explain to me how they will begin suddenly no longer functioning in another ten years?? And while you're at it, why don't you give me an example of a Glock wearing out solely due to age. How many revolvers have gone to the wayside due to rust and frames cracking?

And if you really, seriously think that polymer weapons won't last 50 years, do you not realize that the Remington Nylon 66 was first produced in 1959 and there are plenty of those still working just fine 60 years later?

I get that you don't like polymer pistols. Fine. But don't just make up ridiculous reasons and say crazy things that have no basis in reality or fact.

I hope you are right and they do last. I have one plastic gun not a glock and its a neat little gun but i am old school and just prefer wood and metal. I don't even like plastic grips. I have seen plenty of different plastic seem to dry out and crack with age. This may not happen to guns but i am just not convinced. If you like glocks then thats just fine. Guess thats why they make different kinds of guns.

Tracy
07-07-2019, 11:46 PM
I have two Glocks and two Nylon 66s. Also a couple of polymer AR lowers. But unlike some people, I'm not a fanboy who believes that polymer doesn't deteriorate from heat and UV exposure. I know for a fact that it does, and I don't feel a need to debate someone who demands that I "prove" it.

SSGOldfart
07-08-2019, 06:08 PM
I cheerfully add similar positive thoughts! I might add, too, I recently acquired a Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt, and reckoned trying WAX bullets might be worth a try. I bought a bag of 1,000 for $28.00 delivered, and one just pushes one into a primed case...and fires! As much as I love to shoot the revolver with "real lead" at the range, at camp the powder-noise would be waaaay too loud -- but, I can sit on a chair, and shoot, shoot, shoot at camp! I have a plain-Jane cardboard box I use as a target, and bion at ~15 yards, all the bullets go through the front; maybe 1/2 all the way through, with the balance just leaving a dent on box inside.
Perhaps still ANOTHER way to reinforce the fun of revolver shooting!
geo
Sir you can make them was bullets very easily and cheaper than buying them,we just push primer cases through a block of wax.same was used for canning

RED BEAR
07-08-2019, 07:06 PM
+1 for making them.

David2011
07-08-2019, 10:00 PM
I have two Glocks and two Nylon 66s. Also a couple of polymer AR lowers. But unlike some people, I'm not a fanboy who believes that polymer doesn't deteriorate from heat and UV exposure. I know for a fact that it does, and I don't feel a need to debate someone who demands that I "prove" it.

Nice! Color me jealous. I only have one of each. The Glock means little to me; just a training tool to learn how to work on them. (That took about 30 minutes.) The Nylon 66, OTOH, is something I am proud to have in my collection.

RED BEAR
07-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Nice! Color me jealous. I only have one of each. The Glock means little to me; just a training tool to learn how to work on them. (That took about 30 minutes.) The Nylon 66, OTOH, is something I am proud to have in my collection.

Well color me very jealous i don't have ether.

wulfman92
07-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Well I admit, I didn’t intend to put down my semi autos, I love them too. I’m not a “one or the other” type of guy. I appreciate them all, guns, cars, motorcycles, women, no type all around better than another. Revolvers are awesome and so are glocks! AK’s are awesome and so are AR’s! The only exception to this rule is women, sorry boys, I have the best one!!

greenwart
07-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Has the machining and production practices that improved current semi auto been applied to revolvers that are now being produced. I really don't spend alot of time looking at new anything. I do love my revolvers, but there is a level of quality control and finish that is apparent. S&W are better than Taurus. At least for the ones I own. Does that hold true for current models. I have been itching for a 41 magnum but have not found one that has come home with me. I might have to start looking at new.

RED BEAR
07-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Well I admit, I didn’t intend to put down my semi autos, I love them too. I’m not a “one or the other” type of guy. I appreciate them all, guns, cars, motorcycles, women, no type all around better than another. Revolvers are awesome and so are glocks! AK’s are awesome and so are AR’s! The only exception to this rule is women, sorry boys, I have the best one!!
The situation dictates which i carry usually both. A revolver as my main carry gun and an auto as a back up.
As far as women any woman that put up with me for 43 years has to be in the running for best.

mvozz
07-10-2019, 04:45 PM
I shoot autos but I love revolvers. Since I started casting about a year ago I got excited all over again about revolvers. My Ruger 357 SBH hasn't seen this much lead through it in several years. I got excited again when I saw this one and I just couldn't resist. 9 1/2" barrel and I love it! I showed it to a young man, he turned up his nose and said "Wow, that looks kind of redneck". Sometimes I think good firearms are wasted on youth!

Petander
07-11-2019, 05:46 PM
Claybirds @ 50 meters were turning into dust pretty good with a S&W500 today.