PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thank You

HectorMedina
12-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Many months ago I came here looking for knowledge on casting bullets for my airguns.
Since that date, we made reality the 0.177" Vipers and the 0.22" Vipers, with some slight modifications by yours truly.
Through the months I learnt quite a lot on the alloys, as this was one subject I had very little knowledge about. A few tests and a "recipe" of 9:1 Pb-WW has proven to be best in airguns, even medium bores (9 mm's).

Like this one that went through a coyote's neck/shoulder joint and then travelled along the spine to come to rest under the lower jaw:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/186/dscf00388rc.jpg

So, thank you all!

9.3X62AL
12-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Hector--

Welcome aboard, or back as the case may be.

If 9mm airguns are "medium bores" in Mexico, I can only imagine what you class as a "heavy caliber"! What is the weight on that pellet/boolit in the picture?

HectorMedina
12-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Back, really. Yes, its nice to be "home".

Heavies can range from .36 to 0.50 the most common. There are some heavier ones, but basically they are curiosities. We would classify medium bores from 0.26" to 0.35", small bores go from 0.177" to 0.25"
Since we use whatever barrels we can scrounge, it is really up to each one to think what he wants.

Cast from the alloy I mentioned it weighs as cast 139 grains and has a BHn of 6.

The one in the picture lost almost 15 grs. on the side.

9.3X62AL
12-09-2005, 06:43 PM
THAT is interesting as hell, sir!

And all this time, I thought my 25 caliber RWS was a stomper. Never mind!

The "pellet" (what a misnomer) has what looks like a lube groove--are the grooves filled with some substance? I've seen the Prometheus projectiles, which are turned or swaged brass with nylon coatings or "jackets".

beagle
12-09-2005, 06:45 PM
My shooting partner has a 9mm air rifle. We found that we could use my #358242 bullets sized to .356 in it and cast pretty soft.

Gave great accuracy at 50 yards for plinking. Better than the swaged pellets./beagle

Buckshot
12-10-2005, 02:58 AM
............Hector, you can not just come in here like that and post that picture and then disappear :D We want to see pictures of your rifle and maybe some of your friend's rifles. Then you have to tell us about them too.

And we need more info. Do you use canned air, fill your own flaskes, use a scuba tank, etc, etc.

.............Buckshot

Oldfeller
12-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Hector, please also post your current .177 pellet design, I'd like to see what she finally turned into -- more Brittany or whatever else it it finally took to fly right.

Oldfeller

PS This is what this stuff is supposed to do -- grow, change and get better. Hector lives in a country that won't allow firearms at all, so he really is an expert at them large caliber air guns.

Maxthompson
12-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Hector,

I'm surprised that you don't shoot the nine mm backwards likemyou did the "Pammy " pellets.

Mike

kenjuudo
12-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Hector, good to see ya back, I'm another interested in your progress with the .177 design.

jim

Blackwater
12-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Shades of Sherlock Holmes!!! I'd completely forgotten they DO make large caliber air guns! Thanks for the pic, Hector, and I also would be very interested in seeing a pic of your gun, and any others you can show as well.

Now THIS is REALLY interesting!