PDA

View Full Version : WTB: M2 (WWII) bullet(s)

georgerkahn
06-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Howdy! My dad spent almost two long years in the Philippine jungles in WWII. In addition to jungle rot on an ankle, and bad gums -- he lost all his teeth -- he came back! -- a big plus in itself -- and brought back a very few "souvenirs" of his time there. His having passed almost two years ago, in going through his effect we came across a few of his medals, some photos (including one with a Garand, which may have been "staged" -- the outfit he was in more than preferred the Springfield due to jungle weather/climate conditions), a bit of Japanese money, some dropped (Allied) propaganda bulletins -- and -- six empty cases from an M2 50 calibre machine gun. In another box, we found but one bullet.244273
I took a picture of one of the six cases, and the bullet. No doubt you gathered from the title of this thread, I'd so very much like to get anywheres from one more, to five more bullets. The cases are kind of corroded, dented, and a couple have split necks. All still having spent primers, they're of no use other than display.
I got the idea of putting a small length of aluminum angle under the photos of dad, his medals, and the small 48-star U S Flag which was dropped on Manila and surrounding areas the day after its liberation -- and standing these cartridges -- hopefully complete with bullets -- on it.
I checked "usual" sources for finding these, to no avail -- so, I'm hoping perhaps someone on this site (you?) may have a bullet or two or... up to five, you may be willing to pass on to me. (I surely, too, will pay a fair price)
Hoping to be lucky... (and thanking you in advance!)
geo

Jkrem
06-28-2019, 05:38 PM
Bump, my Dad’s now 94 and served in the Pacific. Wish I still had some to send you.

almostgone
06-28-2019, 07:50 PM
George. My bad memory DM 42 (Des Moines ammunition plant)

sparky45
06-28-2019, 08:30 PM
I've got one 50 brass case with the headstamp of SL43. Don't actually know where I got it but my brother was in the S. Pacific in WW2.

too many things
06-28-2019, 08:41 PM
Would say DN not m Denver

georgerkahn
06-28-2019, 10:34 PM
Would say DN not m Denver

My only interest/desire is to hopefully get some bullets (five would be nice) to crazy-glue in the cases my dad brought home from his stay in the Philippines. Five of the cases bear headstamp " SL 42 ", and one is " U 43 ". There is a web-site, http://www.nebraskaaircrash.com/50caliber.html , dedicated to these headstamps, if you have interest. From what *I* read, the stamp starting with letter D is DM = Des Moines Ordnance Plant - Ankeny, Iowa. Perhaps there is a DN (??) -- PRETTY MUCH ANY SOURCE was used to keep our men stocked with ammo.
geo

Joby
06-28-2019, 11:28 PM
https://fsbulletsandbrass.com/50-bmg-647-grain-full-metal-jacket-pull-down-bullets-10-pieces.html

Here is a link to a 10 pack.
I checked my stash and only had live ammo and . There not WWII vintage. But if someone doesn’t come along then the link might help you.
Good luck.

garrisonjoe
06-29-2019, 01:52 AM
https://www.evergladesammo.com/50-cal-bmg-ball-fmj-pulled-bullets.html

If you can stand displaying some that are fairly new. Could be aged easily....

USSR
06-29-2019, 01:15 PM
Perhaps there is a DN (??)

Nope. Denver's ammo was headstamped "DEN".

Don