PDA

View Full Version : Powder measuring spouts

sutherpride59
06-23-2019, 01:06 AM
So I recently acquired a colt walker made by colt, wonderful shooting fun and my second BP revolver. I would love to shoot this thing without taking all day loading it. That said I would love to buy a decent flask with a 50 grain spout so it’s a quick easy operation measuring and pouring powder. That said I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg either, I shoot for fun not in anything where I need an ornate flask but who makes an affordable flask & spout combination? Traditions makes a well priced one but I can’t tell what spouts will work with it and what won’t. Educate me please :) also who makes a good tool for loading primers easily as well?

Also I have felt wads coming in the mail so who makes a good punch for cutting these lol

Czech_too
06-23-2019, 06:21 AM
Only thing I can help with right now is the punch.
https://www.generaltools.com/hand-tools/special-purpose-tools/hole-punches
I use their hollow punches for multiple uses, wads being one of those.

Gtek
06-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Google Treso spouts

Bent Ramrod
06-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Most black powder accessories outfits will have a number of spouts available, threaded to fit most powder flasks, and rated in grains dispensed. My standard flask is a “Peace Flask” with a bunch of these spouts, holding 15 to maybe 70 gr.

Any 1/2 to 1 lb capacity flask ought to do fine. Walkers can hold a 60-gr powder charge, and the “real Walker experience” will deplete a 1-lber by 1/3 to 1/2 by the time the shooting session is over.

The proper flask for a Walker, though, has the spring-loaded plunger spout with the three detents to adjust the charge weight, and the little trap-door that holds six balls for the next loading. This is the one that was issued with the Walkers, and somebody makes a nice replica. Can’t remember who I bought it from, but I do remember it wasn’t outrageously expensive. The cool factor is through the roof, and loading with it is remarkably quick, as long as you also have a capper with tight-fitting caps you don’t have to pinch.

arcticap
06-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Powder charges can be pre-measured at home and then stored in plastic vials made for that purpose.
A small plastic or brass funnel can also be used to prevent spillage when charging each chamber if needed.
It's also helpful to use a loading stand to keep the revolver in an upright position during loading which keeps both hands free for quicker charging.
Many folks make their own pistol loading stand but they can also be purchased.

By using powder storage vials, a person can more easily adjust their powder charges without needing to change the spout on the flask.
When dozens of powder charges can be pre-measured in advance, it saves a lot of time at the range.

Some folks even use bottle necked brass cartridge cases to store their powder charges in, which the bottle neck provides a type of built-in funnel.
But one would need to find tapered stoppers that fit the case mouths such as on eBay.

Other issues with spouts are that if a person changes powder brand or granulation, then the spout may not drop the same equivalent powder charge.
Especially if the spout has been adjusted or altered for a specific charge of a particular powder brand and granulation.

Since the valve on a flask can always become clogged, one never really knows if the spout is full or not until after the powder is dropped into the chamber
and visually checked.
But to insure that a spout is full can require multiple repetitive motions in order to shake the powder into the spout.

Valley-Shooter
06-23-2019, 12:38 PM
I've always got my spouts from Track of the Wolf. They have flasks too.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/69/2/SPOUTS

sutherpride59
06-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the replies, I may see if I can find a decent reproduction. I’m curious what y’all favorite flask spout combination is. I’m thinking a traditional flask and Treso spout, hopefully the spout fits. Keep in mind every load is 50 grains.

country gent
06-23-2019, 04:21 PM
I like the tear drop shaped flasks with valve and spout just seems to fit in the hand better. I had a cap I made for goex cans that had the valve and spout on it. the valves mounting threads are 3/8 24. I drilled a snug 3/8 hole in the cap. Cleaned the paint from the cap. a brass washer on each side and a thin jam nut. soldered it fast and painted cap again. I could put this on any goex can and use it as a flask. The round ones work but with the charges for gull bore walker they don't hold a lot of powder.

The can flask worked good but with the flat top when it started getting low you had to shake it to get good fills or start a new can and add left over to it.

country gent
06-23-2019, 04:54 PM
If you decide to try the cap and can route use it a few times to make sure the valve is at the right angle for you to reach it before gluing or soldering it fast.

sutherpride59
06-23-2019, 10:46 PM
Sounds like solid advice from prior experience lol

sutherpride59
06-23-2019, 11:03 PM
I went with the traditions large powder flask and the Treso 50 grain spout. This way I can pour each cylinder once and I will spend the least amount to get what I want. I looked at Walker reproduction powder flask, but the cheapest was $65. I have the money but I don’t shoot Black Powder so much that it would be worth it to have such a pretty flask. Thanks for all the advice, this forum is always the best for helpful folk!