PDA

View Full Version : No more bottom pours 4 me

WildmanJack
10-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Well today I decided to cast up a bunch of boolets. So I loaded up the Lee 20 lb. bottom pour and started casting. I noticed that the pour stream was a little on the thin side but figured it would clean itself out. Well it didn't......... It actually shut down about 1/3 of the way thru the pot, and wouldn't open again no matter what. So I'm gonna go buy an RCBS dipper and make my boolets that way. Besides it was a total pain trying to empty the pot with that stupid little Lee dipper I have.. Oh well Live and learn I guess.,...
Jack
:twisted:

Echo
10-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Sounds to me like you were trying to pour too cold. Where did you have your control set? What alloy were you using? Do you use a thermometer? Why not?

I've had this happen before, but it was purely trying to cast with the pot not warm enough.

Another cause could be trash in the alloy and into the spout. Did you render down WW's in your casting pot? I >used< to, but no more - it leaves trash in there that can migrate to the spout and cause just the problems you indicate. Easily fixed with a piece of wire or somesuch poked in from below.

Don't give up on the bottom pour furnace just yet...

WildmanJack
10-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey Ed,
I was using ww alloy, the thermometer read between 750 and 800, so I know it was plenty hot. I tried to stick something up the hole but it ws pretty well plugged up. After a while I'm going to try to clean the hole out with a drill that is the same size at the hole. I'm sure it was a bit of trash in the alloy, I thought I had pretty much cleaned the stuff up when I cast it into ingots but I could have missed something.
Just really aggrivating ya know?? I think I'll take the pot apart and clean it with a wire brush, then see if it works any better.
Jack

Doc Highwall
10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
This is why I melt my lead three times. The first time I am only trying to clean the lead as clean as possible and pour it into 20lb ingots. The second time I clean it again and add tin to it and pour it into 3lb ingots, this is done in a dutch oven only. Now when I melt it the third time it is with one of my electric pots ether a LEE bottom pour or a WAGE. I have a 14qt dutch oven for the first melt and several 6-8qt dutch ovens for making up my alloy to pour into my 3lb ingots that fit into the electric pots when needed. It sounds like a lot of work but I think it makes the casting of boolits go smoother with out clogging the LEE or my ladle and the boolits look nice.

WildmanJack
10-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Hmmmmmm, never thought of multiple melts. Ok so now tomorrow I go get two bottles of propane and start multiple melts. The weather is perfect 56 in the morning so that will be a good excuse not to mow the lawn... I took the pot apart and cleaned it with a wirebrush on my drill. Sure looks nice now. Cleaned out the pour hole and put her back together. Thanks for the info guys.
Jack

mstarling
10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I use RCBS bottom pour pots. I try to cast at the lowest reasonable temperature when using big molds or molds which make big bullets. I often alternate molds to help keep the temperature of the molds in the right range. I also keep a propane torch near the casting area as I've been known to get the material just a touch too cold when I add ingots to the pot ... and the nozzle gets blocked.

Quick fix is a shot of heat onto the pouring nozzle. When it frees up I usually clear the orifice with a few full open shots of the valve.

Springfield
10-26-2008, 06:40 PM
A drill bit slightly smaller than the orifice cleans out the spout on my Magma and RCBS just fine. Do it when the lead is hot, just make sure you wear gloves.

Patrick L
10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
This is why I melt my lead three times.

Me too. I render raw WWs into ingots using a plumbers furnace and a big cast iron pot. I do a BIG batch once every 8-10 yrs because that is the only casting related chore I really hate.

The second melt is an alloying melt, also with the furnace and the iron pot. This I do about every three years, depending on my needs. I make a fairly large batch of ww/tin alloy, so things stay consistent for a few years.

Then my bottom pour casting pots see only clean bullet alloy.

DragoonDrake
10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Here is the third call for triple melts.

Adam

montana_charlie
10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Hmmmmmm, never thought of multiple melts.
That must be because you have only been with us since March.
It CERTAINLY gets talked about frequently enough...
CM

Alchemist
10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Another believer in multiple melts. I smelt WWs or scrap and pour into ingots. Then when I cast I set up the Coleman stove and pre-melt in a small cast iron pot, flux it then pour into my electric ladle-casting pot and flux it again.

I can also pre-heat my moulds by setting them on the far side of the Coleman stove. They get warm enough to cut heat-up time quite a bit.

WildmanJack
10-26-2008, 09:57 PM
That must be because you have only been with us since March.
It CERTAINLY gets talked about frequently enough...
CM

Guess I must be a dumb A$$ cause I haven't read that since I've been here. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Guess I'll have to pay more attention to the board!!!
Jack
:drinks:

Shotgun Luckey
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
You can get replacement nozzles from Lee for a couple of bucks if you open the hole up a bit to much....[smilie=1:

If you are gonna give up on the bottom pour, I'll buy your old pot

Hardcast416taylor
10-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey Wild..... Okay, so I only double melt not triple melt - it is worth it! If you are serious about getting a dipping ladle, look at the Lyman. I`ve used them all and prefer the balance and general useability of it. The Rcbs is end heavy and too long, I cut about 2" off mine after first using it and still peddled it. For GOODNESS SAKE remember that is hot lead if you attempt to rod out the spout with wire, make a "L" bend in it and have a little distance on the handle part away from the pot! Remember the hot lead won`t say "LOOK OUT DUMMY, I`M HOT"..... As a retired plumber that melted a pound or so of lead and have the scars to prove it that lead don`t talk!:roll: