PDA

View Full Version : Stopped at a new shooting range today - won't be going back . . . .

bedbugbilly
06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
This has been discussed before and don't mean to beat a dead horse . . . but

My wife and I moved to a condo in ton a couple of years ago - hard to leave the hose we lived on for the past 45 or so years on the farm - I had a 50 yard range out back where I could shoot both pistol and rifle so miss it after the house was sold. A couple off years ago, in the city near us (15 miles away) a sign went up on a building that a indoor shooting range was coming . . . it's on the way to where we get our dogs groomed so we kept our eyes open, thinking it would open "soon".

"Soon" was about a year and a half later - they had a website but all it kept saying was "coming soon" - had a place to sign up for their e-mail list - signed up twice but never got a thing from them announcing their opening, information or anything else. Hmmmmm . . . .

When we got back from AZ this spring, they finally opened. Again, no e-mails announcing opening, rates, info, etc.

Today, we had the dogs to the groomers and when we went to pick thump this afternoon, we had a few minutes to kill so my wife pulled in to the range parking lot so I could go in and see what it was, get rates, etc. One care in the parking lot. The outside looks nice, nice canopy over their door with their name on it and when I went inside, they have a showroom that's pretty decent size - lot's of ARs on the wall and glass display counters with an over abundance of semi-autos - neither my cup of tea but hey, everyone likes different things. There was a lady behind the counter, I told her I was stopping in to see what their facility was like and to get information on rates, etc. Her reply was . . . "a list of our rates is over there on the wall" . . . not real helpful. I stepped over and a young man came out . . . we got to talking and I told him why I had stopped in. I should mention that these two were most likely "employees". I told him I'd like to know what things they had to offer . . . no one was there to shoot and neither offered to show me the range room. I told him I was glad they were open finally as I had been waiting as I thought it would make a good place to come shoot. His reply . . . "we have a website . . . you can go there to sign up for our e-mail list". Ahhhh . . . "I've down that . . . twice . .. . and never received anything." His reply . . . "Oh". After a few minutes, I discovered he was a kid that went through the school my wife used to teach at . . . one of those who was usually the topic of conversation in the teacher's lounge for bad behavior . . . but hey . . kids grow up and he seemed like a decent kid.

We talked a little more and I told him that I cast and reload and was glad they were open as I enjoyed shooting my vintage revolvers. His reply, "We don't allow reloads to be shot here . . . they are dangerous . . and we don't allow lead either. You have to shoot jacketed bullets." Huh?

Now I realize that they want to sell the ammo but c'mon. I then explained that I couldn't shoot jacketed as I shoot a '51 Colt open top Richards and Mason conversion as well as a vintage 1910 Colt Army Special and my vintage Smith M & P revolver . . . and that I would only shoot lead in them as that was what was intended to be shot in them. He didn't have a clue as to what I was even talking about. O..K. He's young . . . .

I politely thanked them and then said that I wouldn't be back and would let others I know that they couldn't shoot there either due to what they normally shoot. Now I realize that these two were most likely employees . . . but grossly undertrained ones at best. No offer to show me around so I could see their shooting area, etc. and the comment about reloads being "dangerous" sot of made me feel like I was probably shooting with one foot in the grave with what I shoot. :-) I quickly scanned their rate sheet and saw that they give a $2.00 discount to L.E., First Responders and Veterans. I asked if they also gave the discount to retired L.E. and F.D. since I am a retired fireman . . . ahhhh . . . "no". Again, hug? Now the $2.00 discount isn't going to make me or break me but I was surprised when he came back with "no". Any other indoor range that I have shot at in AZ always give a discount as a means of showing appreciation . . . which I appreciate as they always ask everyone . . "are you active or retired LE., F.D., Veteran, etc. and I certainly don't expect a discount but it is nice of them to offer it. Not so at this range . . .O.K. . . . you have to make a profit to keep your doors open.

After explaining to the young man that I only shoot lead anomy reloads due to the revolvers I shoot, he turns around and asks me if I'm going to want to rent a lane.

My reply . . . "Thanks for your time but I won't be coming back . . . and tell your boss that he really needs to "rethink" a few of his restrictions as he is turning business away." I politely thanked them again for their time and left.

Am I ticked and P.O.'d? No . . . but after waiting for what seemed a long time for them to open I was kind looking forward to maybe having a decent indoor range to go shoot at. But it's their business and they can run it as they please I guess. Funny thing though . . . my area is about 30 miles form the Republik of Ann Arbor . . . and a really nice indoor range opened up there a year or so ago. When my wife and I were in the area, we stopped in and they gave us a nice tour of the facility, answered any question I had and they have no problem with lead or reloads as they realize a lot of folks shoot SA revolvers or vintage ones that were designed for lead . . in fact, they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and even offered a "special" the first time so you could see if you liked their facility . . which I'm sure would be a great place to shoot. The folks that worked there are very knowledgeable and if one didn't know something, they had another one who could answer the question - i.e. some were AR shooters, some SA shooters, etc. Both my wife and I were talking that it was a breath of fresh air to find such a place in a town that is pretty much "tipped left".

When I walked out of the range we stopped at today . . . I guess I was not only feeling "old" but maybe a bit "old fashioned" that I reloaded, cast and shot vintage revolvers . . . the city it is in has always been a "working man's city" . . . but I almost felt like I was a "deplorable". Oh well, I'll find another place to shoot. LOL

richhodg66
06-18-2019, 06:49 PM
I hate indoor ranges. Absolutely despise them. They are geared towards mall ninjas. Broke down and took my dad to one because it was in a town I was new to and figured I'd try it. Actually, they were better than most, but I still don't like being treated like a mall ninja. They did look at my ammo, which was cast gallery loads for a Krag and were OK with it, so there's that, I think they were checking for AP stuff.

Bottom line, I'd brave some really nasty elements to shoot outside on a real range. Fortunately, I can shoot on my own place and they recently opened a good outdoor range near Dad for when I go there now.

LUBEDUDE
06-18-2019, 06:51 PM
I can’t see how that place can survive with those attitudes.

When an indoor range opened up here, they too said no to lead and reloads. They ended up changing that policy within a few months.

Then, a few months later, they realized a sales opportunity by allowing reloads; they started selling reloading equipment. And then they realized they could up their profits more by selling range brass to those reloaders.

There’s a big difference between a businessman and just an owner.

RED BEAR
06-18-2019, 07:25 PM
I guess i am very lucky the range i use is only 5 minutes away outdoors but still under a roof to keep off the elements. I wish we had a longer range than 100 yards but you can't have everything. There is a pistol range 7 to 15 yards a 25 yard range 50 yrd range 100 yrd and 100 yrd competition range there is also a trap range. And everything is just a quick ride away. I also have a 25 ft range upstairs for pellet gun and primer only hand guns. I am a very lazy person.

ShooterAZ
06-18-2019, 07:25 PM
I don't care much for indoor ranges either, at least the only one in my town. They allow cast and reloads, but the lighting is terrible. I went once, and haven't been back. The ranges that don't allow cast or reloads will only lose out in the long run, most every avid shooter I know is also a reloader. The ranges can set their own rules though, so there you have it. They'll lose business as witnessed above.

brewer12345
06-18-2019, 08:19 PM
I greatly prefer outdoor, but the closest range is 40 minutes away so I struggle to get there more than once a month. A nice indoor range opened 5 minutes from the house. You can bet I will be there multiple times a month. They don't care if you shoot cast and reloads, either. Sometimes you make do with what you have available.

Tom W.
06-18-2019, 10:01 PM
I haven't been to the indoor range in Columbus in a while. They did change the ventilator system, which is nice. I can shoot any handgun rounds that I want in my firearms, but if I want to rent one of their handguns I gotta shoot factory loads.

Mostly I'd go there, shoot maybe 50- 100 rounds and sweep the floor and collect brass, as 99% of it was once fired, and they rather appreciated that I'd save them from having to work so much!

BD
06-18-2019, 10:05 PM
I'm not a fan of indoor ranges either, but that is about the only option near where I'm currently living during the week for work. I shot at the one Windham Weaponry runs last week and it was fine for what it is. They were OK with me using my own targets and shooting lead reloads. As long as the line is not packed I can get most of my brass back. $20/hr is kind of steep, but it's real convenient for me on a day to day basis.

jaysouth
06-18-2019, 10:44 PM
I live five minutes away from a state of the art shooting center with ranges that accomodate bow and arrows to M-134 miniguns. The air handling system cost them millions and I like the clean moving air. I bought an annual membership and go there at least twice a week. The range officers know me and do not nit pick what ammo I am shooting as long as it is not grease lubed cast. I take my grand kids shooting there a couple of time a month and have met a bunch of guys that meet for breakfast and then spend a long morning at the range.

You do see a lot of tacti-cool fools though. Last week there were these two guys togged out in tactical vests, shirts, pants and boots. One was shooting a tricked out Sig .45 game gun and the other had some kind of AR with about 20 pounds of accessories from red lights, white lights, range finder, and expensive reflex sight. Everything but curb feelers and fuzzy dice.

Both were shooting sillouette targets at 10 yards.

Tom W.
06-19-2019, 12:18 AM
But at least they were shooting.....
Living just across the river from Ft. Benning a lot of folks are dressed like that......

tomme boy
06-19-2019, 01:19 AM
Most indoor ranges around here you are not allowed to pick your brass up. So I don't and will not ever go to them.

Conditor22
06-19-2019, 02:04 AM
Stopped by an indoor range that recently re-opened. It recently burned down after being open for only a year or so.

2 employees, no customers

Factory ammo only, you either buy their factory ammo or pay $5 per 100 to shoot factory ammo you bring.[smilie=b::veryconfu:not listening:

I will not be back.

abunaitoo
06-19-2019, 04:00 AM
Many years ago, I went to an indoor range here once.
It has since closed down.
It was OK, but probably not go back if it were still open.
I like outdoor ranges better.

LUBEDUDE
06-19-2019, 04:19 AM
Stopped by an indoor range that recently opened.

2 employees, no customers

Factory ammo only, you either buy their factory ammo or pay $5 per 100 to shoot factory ammo you bring.[smilie=b::veryconfu:not listening:

I will not be back.

Sounds like they think that they are doing you a favor by letting you pay them to shoot.

They don’t seem to appreciate what a paying customer is.

They won’t last, unless the owner just needs a large tax write off and a free, private place for himself to shoot.

6bg6ga
06-19-2019, 06:45 AM
I like both indoor and outdoor ranges. We have a nice range close (indoor and outdoor) to me. I will miss them after I move.

FISH4BUGS
06-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Personally I would write a letter to the owner and explain your predicament as a one time visitor and potential customer.
I worked in the wholesale/retail sporting goods business many years ago, and one thing I learned from the owner is that if someone takes the time to write to you and complain, there are 100 that will never be back and will bad mouth you for years to come.
If the owner is the least bit business savvy, he will take to heart what you say. If he doesn't, then they deserve to close.

georgerkahn
06-19-2019, 07:16 AM
I stopped at but one indoor range -- (on Long Island, New York) -- but once! At the time I was mobile, with a bad limp -- the long set of stairs to the basement range -- under stores in a strip mall -- would now be an impossibility for me. Nice counter with high-end semi-autos displayed, and lots of shelving on one wall with plastic buckets of empty brass cases. Behind a sliding glass case, opposite it, quite the assortment of factory ammo. The lad at counter was "professional", albeit void of any apparent emotions/feelings.
He stated that, for "legal reasons" the range is supervised, and showed me a big chart with different league bookings, as well as "open" range time. I'd have to come back three + hours later to shoot. Oh -- but then, I'd (again for their legal liability) have to "join their shooting 'club'" (huh?) which was $125.00 to ever be able to use the range. To shoot, it was a flat-rate $12.50 for two-hour block. One is NOT permitted to pick up and remove any spent brass (I learned that this procedure is against the law -- so he told me); but, I got a smile now knowing where those plastic buckets of empties they were selling came from. I was on a trip, ~400 miles from home, and would not ever go back if I was closer. On a good note, I spied a plastic bucket of brass I was in want of, and their price was -- albeit no bargain -- fair. After I handed over the cash, the bucket was dumped into a Wal*Mart plastic bag, and I hobbed back up the stairs...

Hickory
06-19-2019, 07:31 AM
I shoot at the best range anywhere in the world, my own.
No restrictions, no fees, no limit on caliber or velocities.
Sometimes I am interrupted by my wife telling me it's time to eat.

fivegunner
06-19-2019, 08:20 AM
BedBugBilly, have you checked out the DNR ranges near you? Not indoor`s but at least it`s a place to shoot. The gun club I belong to has a indoor range and outdoor range plus Trap and Skeet fields

Gus Youmans
06-19-2019, 09:22 AM
bedbugbilly,

I go to a local gun store and indoor range here in Columbus a couple of times a month and almost all of the ammo that is being shot on the range is factory ammo. I would guess that less than 5% of the ammo is reloads. I hardly ever see anyone picking up brass and folks give me a funny look when I do. The range allows handloads and lead bullets but I never see anyone shooting what appear to be cast bullet loads except me. If the business stopped allowing reloads it would have negligible effect on their bottom line.

At one time the store had a fairly decent selection of reloading tools, powders, primers, jacketed bullets, and lead bullets but they had a clearance sale about a year ago and now have no reloading stuff - it just wasn't selling.

In summary, if the demographics of where you live are similar to Columbus, changing their policy to allow handloads and lead bullets will not have little effect on their bottom line.

Gus Youmans

lightman
06-19-2019, 10:05 AM
With the attitude of the employees in the original post I don't expect that range to be open very long. Its a shame, but sometimes thats the way it is.

MrWolf
06-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Personally I would write a letter to the owner and explain your predicament as a one time visitor and potential customer.
I worked in the wholesale/retail sporting goods business many years ago, and one thing I learned from the owner is that if someone takes the time to write to you and complain, there are 100 that will never be back and will bad mouth you for years to come.
If the owner is the least bit business savvy, he will take to heart what you say. If he doesn't, then they deserve to close.

This is what I would do. Current place I shoot at the owner is lazy and hasn't even made a proper range yet. I'm working on it but to many other things I have to do first. Yea, my place.

Idaho45guy
06-19-2019, 11:55 AM
I'm thankful that I live in an area with plenty of public places to go shoot, and that my dad has ten acres out in the country with an indoor bench and targets out to 300yds.

I used to shoot at an indoor range once a month in GSSF matches, and actually used an indoor range once in AZ when it was simply too hot to shoot outside, lol.

Yeah, not a fan of indoor ranges, or shooting with strangers in general. People are dumb.

Sig556r
06-19-2019, 01:05 PM
I only go to our local indoor range for they allow holster draw (prequal req'd) & rapid fire. No one else in town do this. Their facilities are way better than most too & they let me pickup brass (mine & others). With that & 50% off for CHL holders, can't beat that even with my club's open range...

fixit
06-19-2019, 02:46 PM
i've been happy with the range near me. they don't restrict handloads or lead, and are generally accomadationg. they don't mind you picking up range brass, as long as you're not a nusance. as far as filters go, however, i went there to burn off some hot loads in my 45/70, and after about ten round, it got decidedly 'smokey' in there. probably took 5 mins. to clear the air. and yes, these were smokeless loads....just a lot of power in a short time, which i found amusing. i'm glad i was the only person there at that time!

RED BEAR
06-19-2019, 02:47 PM
I for one can't afford to shoot factory ammo except the rare box when having problems just to check. I would never shoot at a range where i couldn't pick up my own brass.

osteodoc08
06-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately, this is the norm for a lot of places. The older gun guys are retiring, closing shop, or in the case of my favorite LGS owner, passing away. Along with that is a loss of knowledge and appreciation for firearms in general. Very few young folks (under 25 or so) that are employed at these shops are barely minimum wage and can’t work other places due to history or education and work at these places as they are “family”. Along with that comes rudimentary knowledge.

The no lead restrictions and no reloads I blame on the underwriters of the insurance policies more than the shop owners. I only go to 2 indoor ranges. One local to me if the weather is sonfouk outside I can’t shoot outside and one close to my brother. Both turn a blind eye to my reloads or lead.......and me retrieving my empties.

OP, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a policy stating once the brass hits floor, it belongs to them so to speak.

Either way, I share your frustration as there are very few places I can find good vintage revolvers to shop other than the local trader and few “good” gun shops and ranges.

Tom W.
06-19-2019, 04:55 PM
bedbugbilly,

I go to a local gun store and indoor range here in Columbus a couple of times a month and almost all of the ammo that is being shot on the range is factory ammo. I would guess that less than 5% of the ammo is reloads. I hardly ever see anyone picking up brass and folks give me a funny look when I do. The range allows handloads and lead bullets but I never see anyone shooting what appear to be cast bullet loads except me. If the business stopped allowing reloads it would have negligible effect on their bottom line.

At one time the store had a fairly decent selection of reloading tools, powders, primers, jacketed bullets, and lead bullets but they had a clearance sale about a year ago and now have no reloading stuff - it just wasn't selling.

In summary, if the demographics of where you live are similar to Columbus, changing their policy to allow handloads and lead bullets will not have little effect on their bottom line.

Gus Youmans

Sounds like Shooters of Columbus..
Now I have to get powder and primers from Money Mizer pawn shops.....

JSnover
06-19-2019, 08:57 PM
There are three indoor ranges near me and I'm not impressed by the staff at any of them.
It's about an hour drive to a nice 200 yard outdoor range; cheaper, well kept and well-regulated without being overly restrictive, which was a big surprise since it's located in the People's Republic of New Jersey.

6bg6ga
06-20-2019, 05:14 AM
The inside ranges have gotten anal over the years. Ammo inspection no brass corrosion. No shooting thru the roof and so forth all in the name of safety. How dare them to do this. It would seem that the emphasis should be switched to safety in gun handling. Not to single out a particular group of people but in my neck of the woods it would seem that we get college kids from different countries going to our local colleges seeking entertainment on the weekends. The concept of going to a local gun range renting a firearm buying ammunition and punching holes in paper has caught on. Unfortunately someone should have consider the application of an IQ test for proper gun handling. I've exited a range before when there are young ones pointing the barrels in the wrong directions.

6bg6ga
06-20-2019, 05:15 AM
Looking forward to the outdoor ranges of Arizona where there will be yet another factor to consider....that rattling noise from unfriendly snakes in the area.

Idaho45guy
06-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Looking forward to the outdoor ranges of Arizona where there will be yet another factor to consider....that rattling noise from unfriendly snakes in the area.

It's more of a buzzing sound... It will pucker you up!

JoeJames
06-20-2019, 11:26 AM
I reckon this may be considered just an academic question; since I mostly shoot off my porch steps at my place, but regarding their rule that you cannot pick up your brass: if you are shooting a revolver, can you keep that brass, or do you have to dump them on the floor?

flyingmonkey35
06-20-2019, 02:40 PM
If the owner is the least bit business savvy, he will take to heart what you say. If he doesn't, then they deserve to close.I agree.

They can't fix it if they don't know its broken.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
06-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Wow. You guys make me appreciate our range/club even more.

The only restrictions we have is the range master doesn't want rifles on the pistol range punching holes in the steel plates.
Take your trash home.
No cannons or .50BMG.
No unsafe actions or stupidity allowed.
If you drive down range when its muddy- use the provided shovel to fill in your ruts.

If no one else is there, you can mine the impact area for Lead.
Pick up any or all the brass ya want off the ground or get it out of the barrel where non-reloaders sweep up and dump theirs.

brewer12345
06-20-2019, 03:16 PM
I reckon this may be considered just an academic question; since I mostly shoot off my porch steps at my place, but regarding their rule that you cannot pick up your brass: if you are shooting a revolver, can you keep that brass, or do you have to dump them on the floor?

My local has the "its ours when it hits the floor" rule because they are worried about idiots crossing the firing line to pick up brass. If you ask before you go on the range, they let you pick up your brass and the RO usually even sweeps it into a pile for me.

Paper Puncher
06-20-2019, 04:12 PM

I try to avoid the "can't pick up brass" facilities as much as possible. The few I have shot at have had no problem with you keeping your revolver brass.

One range had a rule that you could pick up any brass BEHIND the firing line. Guess they had people crossing the line while others where still shooting.

As the level of common sense declines more rules are made to protect people from themselves and others from the idiots. At a public DNR range in Missouri they resorted to shooting booths separated by pea gravel filled walls to try and protect you from improper gun handling by another shooter on the line. The RSO I was chatting with said an accident can happen so fast that calling cease fire is an after event. During cease fires (target change) you were required to exit your booth and put a chain across it to prevent you from entering it.

The lack of common sense is astonishing. I have seen people put their hand in front of the muzzle of a pistol trying to see if the laser was on, Yes finger on the trigger, weapon loaded.

Prairie Cowboy
06-20-2019, 04:48 PM
I hate indoor ranges as well. Mall ninjas is a perfect description of the clientele. I guess that they are the same everywhere. All that they seem focused on are:
1) Selling training courses.
2) Renting guns.
3) Selling over-priced ammunition.
4) Selling over-priced memberships.
5) Selling a few guns (though that seems less important to them).

The employees seem to size you up when you come through the door based on how old you are and how you are dressed. If you don't look like the type that has oodles of money and the inclination to take their courses or rent guns or buy lots of ammo for same, then you get the invisible treatment.
If you come in wearing comfortable blue jeans and cowboy boots, and you are over 50, well forget about it. You ain't mall ninja material so they simply don't care. The fact that you might want to buy a gun or a membership and have plenty of money doesn't interest them in the least.
Unless my circumstances force a change I will always shoot at an outdoor range, even if I have to drive 4 times further to get there. Nobody is trying to sell me things that I don't want or restrict what ammo I can shoot (other than the armor-piercing stuff).

Big Tom
06-20-2019, 05:15 PM
I had a nice ODNR operated outdoor range about an hour drive, but ODNR decided to stop maintenance on it and then let it sit for 3 years now. So, ODNR does not care and complaints are not being taken serious.

However, we have a great, relatively new indoor range (25 yard only) here that is very well operated with RSOs that do a great job and no nonsense about reloads or lead. I joined them a while ago and at the $230/year rate for LE/Military, for unlimited shooting time and one guest (shared lane) included, I think it is a good deal.

Prairie Cowboy
06-20-2019, 05:16 PM
When the OP says that he told the incompetent employees of this new indoor range that he would not be back and to tell their manager so, his message was falling on deaf ears. They simply don't care, and would not risk being blamed for losing a customer by being the messenger of bad tidings.

Once in a while you see a sign in a business that says something like:
"If you are happy with our service please tell others. If you are not then please tell us."
My opinion is that doing so accomplishes little usually. The owner might take it to heart and make changes, or he might just say thanks and then do nothing. If he ignores you then he is just happy that he intercepted your complaint before you told others.

My philosophy is:
"If I am happy with your service then I will tell others. If I am not happy then I will tell everyone, again and again. And, then I will tell you that."

Only a targeted letter to the owner which carefully lays out your concerns is going to light a fire under them, accompanied by your assurance that you will spread the word to one and all about your displeasure. That's the world that we live in now. Usually though, I just avoid such businesses like everyone else.

Goodwill is a marketable premium that gets sold along with a business. The reputation of a business must be earned and built up day by day and year by year. And, it can be lost in a short time.
I think that we have all seen that happen through a change in ownership.

Wheelguns 1961
06-20-2019, 05:33 PM
I frequent a very good friendly indoor range near my home. They have no problems with my lead bullets or my reloads. I mostly shoot revolvers, but if I bring semi autos, they will help me pick up my brass and any other brass left behind that I want. They have several long term employees that I now consider friends. They are very safety conscience and don’t put up with any ****. I like to go during the week, but if I go on a weekend, I get there right when they open. That way, I miss alot of the mall ninjas. I enjoy this place, and have became friends with like minded folks. So, some are good and some not.

Hickory
06-20-2019, 07:05 PM
...someone should have consider the application of an IQ test for proper gun handling.

This is a very good idea.

EDG
06-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Private range operators have a tendency to be strange birds. We had some shooters find a human arm in the ground after the road up to the 200 berm eroded from a heavy rain. Turns out the range owner murdered the man and buried him in the road after hours. It gave me the creeps to go to that range years later after he got out of jail. He eventually did the world a small favor and died of a heart attack but the new owner is just about as goofy.

richhodg66
06-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Private range operators have a tendency to be strange birds. We had some shooters find a human arm in the ground after the road up to the 200 berm eroded from a heavy rain. Turns out the range owner murdered the man and buried him in the road after hours. It gave me the creeps to go to that range years later after he got out of jail. He eventually did the world a small favor and died of a heart attack but the new owner is just about as goofy.

Wow!

There are actually two around here, one of which is run by a retired LEO and is generally a pretty well-run place, he's a good guy and runs a good business, just not my kindof place.

The other is in a nearby town and had kind of a reputation. The wife and I were in the shop next door once when a guy inside committed suicide. Guess I can't fault the owners for that, but these pay as you go indoor ranges seem to attract types I don't want to be around with loaded guns.

JSnover
06-22-2019, 01:30 PM
The wife and I were in the shop next door once when a guy inside committed suicide. Guess I can't fault the owners for that, but these pay as you go indoor ranges seem to attract types I don't want to be around with loaded guns.
Does anyone know how common this is? A friend of mine who 'knows a guy who knows a guy' said one of the indoor ranges near me has had several suicides on the firing line and that it happens more often than we think.

daengmei
06-22-2019, 02:17 PM
My daughter tells me one occurred at a range I've use a couple times just in the last day or two....too many folks are taking the "easy" way out without regard to the pains that follow for loved ones.

richhodg66
06-22-2019, 02:30 PM
Suicide is an awfully selfish thing to do, and doing it in public where strangers witness it is even more so.

The regular outdoor public ranges I go to now and then don't ever seem to attract real weirdos, at least they haven't when I've been there.

Tom W.
06-22-2019, 09:43 PM
It's been a few years since the last suicides at Shooters...but there were I believe two within a year's time. The guys rented a firearm and bought a box of cartridges, set up their target, shot at it a few times and blew their brains out.
This was two different occasions.
Kinda creeps me out when I go there, as I don't know what lanes they were using......

higgins
06-23-2019, 06:20 PM
A pay as you go range of any type seems to attract people who I don't want to be around. Some ranges are open certain hours and have ROs on duty, but they can't be everywhere at once.

FISH4BUGS
06-24-2019, 06:11 AM
Does anyone know how common this is? A friend of mine who 'knows a guy who knows a guy' said one of the indoor ranges near me has had several suicides on the firing line and that it happens more often than we think.

I was shooting at a friend's commercial indoor range when a guy next to me decided to off himself. I was sad that he did that to himself but grateful he decided to not take anyone else out with him. Needless to say it was quite a mess.
There was a news crew that had just completed taping a segment on the ownership and shooting of legal machine guns and had packed up and was actually in the parking lot ready to leave when the guy decided to do the deed on the firing line.
The owner immediately closed the range
I stayed with my friend as the HazMat crew cleaned up the mess and the police did their thing.
In talking with him, I learned that the insurance industry says that on average, one suicide per every 35,000 hours of range operations is the "industry standard".

Petander
06-24-2019, 06:38 AM
I used to frequent a couple of indoor ranges in the early 90's before I moved to the woods.

In 1999 a woman rented a Beretta 92 and killed three men and seroiusly wounded one at an indoor range here in Helsinki.

She then took a bus to the airport,bought a ticket to London. She had ammo in her pocket at security check but she was let through because her excuse was "these are memory items from my dead husband".

She was stopped while boarding,a janitor had found the pistol in an aiport trash.

She thought she was a widow for some X-files agent character and she had to run a revenge... She had a normal job with computers,no violent background or anything.

trapper9260
06-24-2019, 06:44 AM
I shoot at the best range anywhere in the world, my own.
No restrictions, no fees, no limit on caliber or velocities.
Sometimes I am interrupted by my wife telling me it's time to eat.

This is what I got also . But no wife. I just shoot when I feel like to.My is outside also.

Sig556r
06-24-2019, 07:45 AM
I was shooting at a friend's commercial indoor range when a guy next to me decided to off himself. I was sad that he did that to himself but grateful he decided to not take anyone else out with him. Needless to say it was quite a mess.
There was a news crew that had just completed taping a segment on the ownership and shooting of legal machine guns and had packed up and was actually in the parking lot ready to leave when the guy decided to do the deed on the firing line.
The owner immediately closed the range
I stayed with my friend as the HazMat crew cleaned up the mess and the police did their thing.
In talking with him, I learned that the insurance industry says that on average, one suicide per every 35,000 hours of range operations is the "industry standard".

Wow, that's one too many in 14-15yrs of operation...reminded me of one local open range that got a freak "accident" when a newbie, cleaning a rifle, had an accidental discharge fatally hitting a guy in the parking lot...

Crash_Corrigan
06-24-2019, 08:44 AM
We are somewhat fortunate here in Vegas. We have 4 indoor ranges that I have been to and used in town. I am sure that there are probably 20 indoor ranges here. One is reasonable and decent. Any ammo you want except AP or tracers. Pick all the brass you want. The will even allow to load up on lead when they clean up every week. This lead is super dirty but since it floats off the top? The price is right and this stuff is super soft.

Only one range has a decent air cleaning system. It works. The others get kinda smokey especially when I fire off a box of .45's. They are big fat 200gr LSMC lubed with mule snot and they all leave a visible smoke trail right to where the boolit hit. One place had a we gonna keep your brass so I mounted a brass catcher on my wrist and caught all mine. I started a trend they were not happy about.

WE also are blessed with the Desert Sportmans Rifle & Pistol Club in nearby Red Rock Canyon. My senior ticket for year is only $75. No 50 bmg or tracers allowed. Any ammo you want, they want you to pick up the brass even if only to dump it in the trash. When I go there I also drag along a truck full of 5 gal plastic buckets to pick up the brass after the local cops qualify every month or so. The ground is covered up to 3 or 4 thick in shiny new brass cases. I came home last week with well over 1,000 lbs of brass. If I ever get to it I will sort it out and sell it. We also allow you to mine the berms when no one is shooting. One day I was shooting and a van pulls up. Four Asian tourists and their guide with two cased rifles and a study cart holding big steel cans of ammo. Turns out that the white dude "guiding" them was a local whose schtick was to troll the Hotel California and pick up tourists. He takes them to our range and supplies a spanking new CMP Garand, ammo and steel targets. Hours went by and all those 4 Asian dudes had a ball. They were firing off 8 round enbloc clips AFAP. Soon the ground was littered with them and their brass contents minus boolits of course. Soon enough the group started to leave. I spoke to the guy about the brass and he said "take it all along with the ammo boxes and clips." " I just buy new ones." Those guys went thru 800 rounds in about two hours. I have a lifetime supply of brass for my two beloved Garands.

Winger Ed.
06-27-2019, 12:14 AM
Hours went by and all those 4 Asian dudes had a ball.

The range I used to go to before I moved out of the city is a big tourist attraction for people from fire arms restricted countries.

They rent hand guns, they must be fed with the range's own reloads, and it ain't cheap.
They have a big sign in the range shack that clearly states:
"At least one person in your group MUST speak fluent English"

These folks get a safety class, and put right next to a full time range master.
I've seen a few groups of Asians that rent one or two .38 or 9mm handguns, make a day of it,
and they look like they're having the time of their life.

15meter
06-27-2019, 09:19 AM
I'm so grateful for my membership in 2 private clubs, I have access to multiple trap and skeet fields and both rifle and pistol out to 300 yards.

I occasionally go to a state outdoor range when I'm traveling in the area, more to brass vulture in the scrap buckets than shoot. The RSO's are more than happy to let anybody haul off as much as they want--one told me he already has more 55 gallon drums filled at home then he'll ever use.

My shooting would drop dramatically if I had to shoot on the public ranges with the clientele that shows up there.

Unfortunately those are the people the anti-gunners see and base their fears on.

I know they scare me. And they're breeding.

Tom W.
06-27-2019, 10:55 AM
Most of my shooting is at the Sheriff's office range now....

jonp
06-30-2019, 05:53 AM
Private range I go too is pretty nice but...when they opened up the owner was and is pretty cool to talk to. Former military sniper but without the attitude. Requires a weekend class taught by him before letting anyone on the 1,000yrd range. Reason is pretty good as there are houses way beyond the berms but if someone just starts letting them off there is a very small chance a bullet could go far enough downrange so he wants to make sure you have some idea what you are doing.

Range membership has grown and last couple of times I went he had hired a couple of "those" guys to help out. You know the type, too cool to talk to you and who know everything about everything. Not very friendly so now I just go, do my shooting and leave without much talk.

The range does let you shoot reloads and keep your brass but asks that you leave all other brass on the ground as they pick it up to sell for some money.