PDA

View Full Version : Pierced primers

lar45
06-17-2019, 03:34 PM
I have a 500 Linebaugh built by John Linebaugh. We were shooting the other day and noticed some pierced primers. The load is a mild load of Bluedot with a 420 cast, and Win lp primers for 1063fps. I contacted John and he suggested maybe trying Rem lp primers and HS6.
Which LP primers have the thickest cup?

ShooterAZ
06-17-2019, 03:39 PM
In my personal experience, CCI primers have had a thicker cup, Federal known to be on the thinner side.

fredj338
06-17-2019, 07:15 PM
The older WIn primers. plated, seem to have thicker cups than the newer unplated. I would check the firing pin, make sure that their isn't a chip or something sharp there. BlueDot can do weird things. Have you tried other powders with those Win primers?

Cherokee
06-17-2019, 07:26 PM
CCI has harder cups. Check the firing pin a fredj suggests.

Winger Ed.
06-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Somebody else may know if lightening up the hammer strike a little would help.

PowPow
06-17-2019, 07:45 PM
My first thoughts are, "Do you have a gun issue?", "How long have you been shooting that load?", "Did it ever do that before?", and "Has anything changed?".

Assuming it's not a gun issue, Federal 150s would do the same thing if WLPs do that, so don't go there. If you don't have anything else on hand, I'd try CCI primers if switching primers. I've quit most things Remington. Can't speak for Wolf/Tula, but I know guys who have good results with them.

megasupermagnum
06-17-2019, 07:53 PM
I know nothing about 500 Linebaugh, but a quick search shows that to be a light load with Bluedot. Those primers don't look flattened at all either, so I really doubt it's any kind of pressure problem. I had that problem with a ruger Blackhawk, and it did it randomly like yours. I found CCI primers to be the best. Later I took the firing pin out, and found it was rather rough on the end. After a gentle polish and cleaning, I never noticed another pierced primer.

tomme boy
06-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Winchester has not made the nickle plated primers for over 15 years. Are you sure you were not using CCI.

Switch to a rifle primer and see what happens.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/johnk/primertest.htm

Chart for rifle thickness

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/primers-and-pressure-analysis/

Conditor22
06-17-2019, 09:09 PM
The load doesn't look too warm, I'd surmise the problem is with the firearm and not the primers.

You could try lighter loads with this primer and this same load with other primers to help narrow it down.

Do you have a factory round you could try?

lar45
06-17-2019, 10:12 PM
I just got the gun in December, so I don't really have a lot of ammo through it yet.
Don't have any factory ammo.
John said that large rifle primers will raise the pressure 10k.
I'll have to go back and check my notes on the primers.

megasupermagnum
06-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Large rifle primers, being taller than large pistol primers, is not something I would mess with.

lar45
06-18-2019, 03:06 PM
I went back an checked, and you were right, they were CCI primers.
I loaded 10 each of 13gn Unique with a Hunters Supply 420 with CCI 300's and WLP primers.
The CCI primers only had one that looked a little smoky in the dimple.
The Win primers didn't have any and all looked fine. So Maybe it was a primer and or powder problem.
One note if interest is
with the CCI primers, the velocity was 1145fps, with a SD of 47.33
with the WLP primers, the velocity was 1173fps, with a SD of 2.44
Here's the target from 30 yards. It's not the best with my eyes getting old...
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/500linebaugh/win-primer.jpg

tomme boy
06-18-2019, 11:30 PM
Large rifle primers, being taller than large pistol primers, is not something I would mess with.
The cases are made for LR. It is up to the person if they want to use them or not.

.500L originated from .348 Winchester rifle brass

JimB..
06-19-2019, 07:17 AM
That SD with CCI seems wacky. Was it all over the place, or a couple real outliers?

Lloyd Smale
06-19-2019, 07:41 AM
ive owned 3 500s john built. All were shot with mild loads like yours and up way past Johns recommendation for the 500. Never had a single pierced primer and ive probably used every primer made in them. My guess is you got a batch of bad primers. Id load some with some fed and cci primers with the same load and look at them. Especially the feds because there the ones with the softests cups.

skeet1
06-19-2019, 10:08 AM
I think I would check the firing pin protrusion, it may be on the long side. Even on new firearms one can get out of the factory with to long a pin. I have a CZ .22 hornet that I had to trim the pin to keep it from poking hole in the primers.

Ken

tomme boy
06-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Have you changed the springs at all to lighten the trigger pull? On rifles this will happen if the firing pin spring is too light.

I would check the pin over first. If it keeps doing this it will eat that pin and you will have to replace it anyway. Looking at it will not cost anything other than time.

Lloyd Smale
06-21-2019, 07:02 AM
you have a very expensive custom gun. You don't bring your Ferrari to the local mechanic or ask opinions of the ford fourm on whats wrong with it. First thing to do is give John a call. If its happened to one John has seen it and will make it right.

redhawk0
06-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Deleted to avoid future reader confusion...and potential incidents.

redhawk

lar45
06-21-2019, 11:26 AM
I contacted John, he suggested trying HS-6 and he says he uses Win LP primers. I don't have any HS-6, but did try Unique and Win LP primers and that seemed to fix it. I'll have to see if I can find any HS-6 and try it also.
I have not changed the springs.

Bama
06-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Several of our group had problems with pierced primers using CCI. We change to ww primers and problem went away for now. Between us all we had not had a problem with CCI till then. Figured their act had slipped for awhile.

megasupermagnum
06-21-2019, 12:00 PM
Although I don't have a 500 ....I do have a lot of experience with Blue Dot. I have had very strange things happen with Blue Dot causing pressure spikes usually attributed to temperature. I switched to Accurate #7 and Win 572. (similar burn rates).

Again...not having a 500...I would think a slower powder with that heavy boolit might help. Try HS-6 or Accurate #5. It could be with the faster powder you have a very high initial pressure spike trying to get that monster moving down the barrel.

redhawk

HS-6 is a faster powder than Bluedot. Also you can see in his pictures that all loads are consistent.

redhawk0
06-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Oh boy...it's tough getting older....you are 100% correct...thanx for the correction. I'll scratch my original post to avoid confusion for future readers.

redhawk

Three44s
06-25-2019, 08:26 AM
I would trust HS6 more than Blue Dot as the latter can be streaky. With HS6 you just adjust the charge and there you have it.

Three44s