PDA

View Full Version : Waste of Time Yard Sale This Morning

Alan in Vermont
06-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Yesterday a buddy sent me a link to a yard sale listed on Craigslist. Among the "stuff" listed was a "20 ga. shotgun loader and wads" and "swaging dies & punches". Needless to say I perked up and made plans to be there at opening time this morning.

Found the right table and sure enough there was a sorry looking MEC 600 Jr Mk (Something) and several boxes from Corbin. No prices on any of it so I looked it over and pretty much lost all interest.

Quite a lot of Corbin parts, most of it with some degree of rust. Only thing I think might have been complete was a die set for making jackets from 22 brass. I have no interest in getting into swaging so lost interest in that right away.

I have two MEC presses right now, a 650 that does all my 12 ga. target loads, and a 600 Jr. that gets swapped between 12 (field loads), 20 & 16 ga. duties. So I'm always on the lookout for another 600 Jr. to cut down on how often I have to change them over.

The press they had was coated with rust & dirt, had many parts missing, some in a bag sitting with it but a lot that I just couldn't find so had to assume were missing. In addition it is enough newer (plastic crimp die) that I wasn't sure I could use my existing conversion kits on it. There were two bags of wads sitting with it, maybe 100 pcs between both bags.

All that brought me to the conclusion that if I couldn't just about steal it it wasn't worth having. Off I went in search of someone who I could make an offer to. Finally found the right guy, first impression was kind of an obnoxious sort. I asked what he wanted and he grunted back "What's it worth to ya?"

So I offered him $10, all it was worth to me.

He countered with "$15 and I'll throw in the two bags of wads."

The rest was easy, "Nope"

GOPHER SLAYER
06-15-2019, 09:15 PM
I had two MEC reloaders, both 12 gauge. One missing one of the shot or powder jugs, I don't remember which. Otherwise both were good to go. I thought I was going to have to give them away. I finally sold both for $10 or $15. I don't remember that either. I later saw two at a gun show and asked the dealer how long he had been trying to sell them, he said, along time.

Winger Ed.
06-15-2019, 09:35 PM
One missing one of the shot or powder jugs,.

I had a couple of them. They were so old the plastic jugs fell apart.
Being too tight to buy new ones, I found out soda pop bottles had the same thread pattern and used them.

Land Owner
06-16-2019, 04:35 AM
Part of a reloader's estate I purchased was a 700 VERSA MEC loader and 10's of thousands of individual parts and pieces (12 ga -, 20 ga -, 28 ga -, - hulls, wads, primers, 25# bags of lead shot, etc., the WORKS) for making shotgun shells. What to do with it? I don't load shot shells.

FISH4BUGS
06-16-2019, 08:17 AM
I just did the same with a box of Ideal shotshell reloaders....very old. Bunch of tools like a crimper, a paper shell trimmer, adjustable powder and shot cups,and a bunch of other stuff that I have no idea what it is.....hey, for $20 it HAD to be worth that.
My plan is to research what all of it is, the sell it as a batch someday.
The fun of researching and identifying what all this stuff is, and learning about early Ideal Shotshell reloaders will be worth it.

waksupi
06-16-2019, 09:38 AM
I did good at a yard sale this weekend. Got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag in pristine condition for $350. My buddy won the prize, though, he got an old Remington Model 11 with shells, for $25.

MrWolf
06-16-2019, 09:51 AM
I have never come across a yard sale selling anything firearm related. Could be because I was living in NJ most of the time. Only been here 2 1/2 years but haven't seen any decent sales yet. Just household stuff. I keep looking for a decent priced MEC 410 reloader. Folks on eBay seem to think used and rusty means full retail. Seen some go for more than new.

Petrol & Powder
06-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Nothing wrong with making an offer and walking away.

richhodg66
06-16-2019, 10:32 AM
The little town we live by had their annual city-wide yard sale last weekend. I went up to one and saw two sets of dies and some bags of brass. Good set of RCBS .222 dies and a set of old Pacific Durachrome dies in 7x57, exactly the same sets I already have for both calibers. Didn't really want any of the brass, but did leave with a new in the box Lee priming tool, the older one with the round tray, and a bag of .45 caliber fiber wads for loading BPCR. The two young women running it didn't know anything about it, but they went and got grandpa and I asked if he had any other stuff, said he hadn't gotten anything else out. Sounded like he'd been out of it a while. I may check back with them sometime to see if he is getting rid of anything else.

I don't yard sale much anymore, but all the little towns around here have a city-wide one once a year and it's kind of fun. I usually find a few little bits and pieces of gun stuff here and there. It's getting to the point where there really isn't much reloading stuff I can use that I don't already have.

slim1836
06-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Last deal I found at a yard sale was a MEC JR 12 gauge, pound of Unique (Alliant round paper canister style), 7.5 shot (25lb), and wads for $20. Still have not used it as shot shells are so cheap.

Slim

gwpercle
06-16-2019, 10:56 AM
A batter doesn't hit a home run every time he steps up to the plate . You struck out this time
but ...next time ... could be a homer !
I've been to many a yard sale and flea market over the years , only once did I homer ... Lyman AA turret press , 38 special and 357 magnum loading dies , 30-06 dies , several shell holders Lyman 55 powder measure , primers , large and small primer pocket reaming tools , case deburring tool and a case trimmer , a big bucket of brass , all for $75.00 .
Am I going to keep haunting the sales and markets....you Betcha , hit one home run...might do it again...but you have to keep batting !
Gary

richhodg66
06-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Last deal I found at a yard sale was a MEC JR 12 gauge, pound of Unique (Alliant round paper canister style), 7.5 shot (25lb), and wads for $20. Still have not used it as shot shells are so cheap.

Slim

I've accumulated a fair amount of shotshell reloading stuff, even though I don't do it much. I did get into 16 gauge and have three 16s now, that guage pays to reload for. Shells are available in town, but about all you can find is #8s and they cost twice what 20s or 12s do.

I also never want to be in a situation where I can't get ammo for something like the rimfire scare a few years ago, so having the stuff around to reload for shotguns is prudent, you just never know.

richhodg66
06-16-2019, 11:00 AM
The only place I ever was that it was fairly common to find reloading and gun stuff at yard sales was Alaska. I went to a few that were almost mini gun shows.

FISH4BUGS
06-16-2019, 12:48 PM
I am on the Board of Major Waldron Sportsman's Association (https://majorwaldron.com/) and we are talking about a "Shooting Sports Yard Sale". No firearms (just to keep the locals happy) but everything else is for sale.
They had one a few years back and it was really successful. A change in the BOD and now it may come back!
I am all for it!

Winger Ed.
06-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Don't give up.

Women used to say,
"Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince".

Alan in Vermont
06-16-2019, 08:29 PM
A batter doesn't hit a home run every time he steps up to the plate . You struck out this time
but ...next time ... could be a homer !

Oh, I'm not about to quit looking. There a young couple in this area doing "Estate Tag Sales" I scored big at one maybe 3 years ago. MEC 650 with 7# of 452AA, 900 CCI 209 Trap & Skeet primers, several boxes of reloaded trap loads, and a bunch of other "stuff". Walked away with the whole lot for $52, and the satisfaction that I pulled the tag off as another buyer, who had pompous jerk written all over him was thinking about it.

In among the "stuff" were two mesh shooting vests, neither of which fit me. One got added to the guest equipment at the club. The other one had a name in it. I went to school with three of the kids and was teaching a weekly shotgun class with the baby of the family. Turns out the name was his Father. I gave it to him and that made the whole deal even sweeter.

I've learned enough in my maturity to not worry about the ones that get away. Like buses there will be another one come along.

lightman
06-17-2019, 07:57 AM
I guess I have not got bitten by the yard sale bug? Theres just not much that I need, or want. I have all of the reloading equipment that I need and all of the tools. I probably would only be looking for lead or pewter items and I have more of that than I need. I could use a little more fishing gear.

shooterg
06-20-2019, 08:11 PM
Man, if the Corbin stuff was cheap, buy it , take pics and post here, you'll make some more yard sale money !

William Yanda
06-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Not a yard sale, but a thrift shop, as I was walking out with a $.99 pewter vase I saw a couple of kitchen knives NIP for the same price, $.99 each. I just mailed one that sold for $45 on the electronic auction site. As they say about the blind hog and the acorn.

Edit to add: I learned about quality kitchen knives on this forum. Thanks guys!

Land Owner
06-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Thrift Shops are donated every item, new and old. They don't price them for either wholesale or retail. They make a tiny profit on every gift and make it up in many thousands of gifts. Pewter is often found this way.

The church thrift received an organ. It is beautiful and fully functional. The sanctuary does not need another one and besides its panel lights up like a Christmas Tree when turned on so it would be a nuisance during the service. The Deacon priced it at $200.00. My Spousal Unit, the Church Music Director, looked at it and said to him, "I will write you a $200.00 check right now for that organ, immediate put it on eBay and Craig's List for $2,000.00, and STILL leave money on the table for the purchaser!" The folks that price these things in thrifts just don't know and are pushing donations out the door for mere pennies on the dollar mostly.

skeettx
06-21-2019, 08:02 AM
Being excessive compulsive, I have everything, but I still feel the urge to buy MORE.
I guess I need to shoot more to use it all up????

lightman
06-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Being excessive compulsive, I have everything, but I still feel the urge to buy MORE.

I guess we all are, at least a little! Who among us could pass up a bucket of weights, a bar of solder or a Linotype pig?

Land Owner
06-21-2019, 11:29 AM
I CAN!!!! I have reached SATURATION and will buy no more. I have more than I will EVER shoot for the rest of my life. I cannot justify the purchase of another thing.

Right now, my condition is RED. When I hunt, if I shoot it I eat it. When my freezer is full I have to stop hunting - as if that is ever going to happen - so I have to find someone to whom I give away enough meat to allow me to continue to hunt.

Well, I am not in a giving mood with my shooting and hunting EQUIPMENT, RELOADING MACHINES, GUNS, and vast array of reloading components. I took time, effort, and MONEY to amass this stuff and only DEATH, TAXES, and some judicious salesmanship is going to deprive me of it into the future.

RogerDat
06-21-2019, 12:03 PM
I find more old rolls of solder than anything else at yard sales. The only thrift store left in the area that has pewter is pricing it based on "asked" not "sold" prices from eBay so it is pretty over priced. I had to put batteries in my scale and start weighing to avoid over paying. Too high priced for a margin of error when it "feels like a pound" and turns out to be only .70 of a pound. Much of this overpriced stuff already looks like it was kicked across the parking lot to keep wife from wanting to keep it when one brings it home. I guess that means it is an "antique".

Fortunately I have been collecting it for years along with solder so am not hurting for tin. I have yet to really see any reloading stuff at yard or estate sales but I don't get to all that many. Mostly just when running errands and happen to see a sign.

Figuring out what one "needs" vs. what one "wants" vs. what one finds at a really good price that still ties up financial resources that could be used to deal with a need or at least an established want. I have started coming down on the side of NOT buying something just because I might either make a few bucks on the deal or think someone I may know might need this so I'll buy it just in case.

There are exceptions of course. Price is low enough that the few dollars is just not much of a gamble. I know it has a high value and high demand and the price is really low. I always wanted one :-) My weakness is camping equipment. I have enough, I have backpacked, canoe camped, car camped, and RV camped. My accumulated gear is beyond my needs or even ability to use as I have gotten older and yet... Only $3 for that Coleman lantern! Three years later and I still lament the Coleman 1 burner Peak stove for $8 that I didn't buy. Wife is long suffering in this regard.

I have seen a few firearms for sale at a couple of sales but that is uncommon. Long guns only since pistol requires paperwork to properly transfer owner of record most don't want the hassle. Did have a friend picked up a Handi Rifle in 44 mag for $150 at a garage sale which is pretty good. Maybe if and when I retire I'll start doing estate sales, assuming I have any money for such things and haven't accumulated all the junk I require to meet my needs by then.

Consumables would get my attention more than most gear. Although a nice single stage press or good scale might tempt me. But even a 505 scale for say $25 is $25 I don't have to spend because I bought a scale I don't actually need. I'm not getting smarter in my old age but am gaining experience in what doesn't work so well.

dverna
06-21-2019, 12:24 PM
I sold my last MEC about 8 years ago. Once you start using a good machine, they lose their appeal quickly. But they are good for guys who do not shoot much. The only single stage shotshell reloaders I now have are a pair of PW 375's. Need to sell one as I never use it. The other is used for 28 ga hunting loads.

Pressman
06-21-2019, 03:14 PM
I stopped at two garage sales this morning, found nothing useful and was not disappointed. I rarely do. Then I stopped at a local antique shop, rarely do I ever find anything remotely useful in them though it is still fun to look.
I ended up with another knife, a Red Dot powder can and a brand new, never unboxed Pacific/Hornaday powder scale. A model that I don't have. Even better the asking prices of nearly everything in the store was better than reasonable.
I think I had a good day.
Ken

RogerDat
06-21-2019, 05:56 PM
One never knows. On an impulse I stopped at a place over lunch. Walked out with 7# of pewter for less than $20. Only problem is some is sort of nice for making into puddles. Will have to consider those pieces a bit.... while I melt the rest of it. Not having a shortage of tin for casting OR a shortage of pewter candle holders and Knick knacks it is a toss up what will become of the nicer items.

375supermag
06-21-2019, 10:27 PM
Hi...
I don't do much yard saleing anymore.
Just mostly a waste of time...never find any gun related stuff the last 5-10 years.
Once upon a time here in Pennsylvania, it seemed every yard sale had a few old guns for sale but that dried up years ago.

Nowadays, I find the best deals are at auctions. I just attended one in Gettysburg yesterday where I managed to get a few good buys on firearm related things.
I managed to get 250 rounds of 12ga #6 factory shot shells for $12, a brand new set of
RCBS carbide .357Mag/.38Spl dies for $28. The LGS has them stacked up on the shelves at $59.99. I also got a brand new set of RCBS 7mm Mag dies for $21 and an RCBS .243 neck sizer for $32(not a great deal but still less than I could find it online, so I saved a couple bucks, didn't have to pay shipping and I have it in hand right away). Also got a new edition of the Sierra reloading manual for $8.

The key to good deals at auctions is to know what stuff retails for, whether new or used and to never exceed that. I watch the local gun auction sites for items I want or know I can easily flip. I do a good bit of research, make notes and never let the bidding get me carried away.

owejia
06-22-2019, 08:20 AM
Got an e mail from auctioneer about an estate sale being held yesterday. Had reloading items and had to smack myself and keep repeating "have all I need".

RogerDat
06-26-2019, 03:29 AM
Got an e mail from auctioneer about an estate sale being held yesterday. Had reloading items and had to smack myself and keep repeating "have all I need". Hahaha! Too funny! Oh wait you were serious?

I skipped an estate sale that had listed a couple of three hole Lee turret presses set up for 9mm. The powder measures and primer feed were of interest but I would have needed them to practically throw in the presses which I don't need. Only need a full size O single stage press to upgrade a couple of smaller C presses I use. So I talked myself out of going. But even I wouldn't have believed me if I had tried to sell me on the idea of having all I need.

Knowing prices and sticking to them is key for any auction, be it estate or eBay. That and knowing what the items value is to you. I don't load 9mm so even a really good price on a high end set of dies isn't a good deal for me. A less high end set at $15 so I gain he ability to load 9mm if the occasion arises for a friend or family has a certain value to me. High end set for $28 would be a pretty good deal too. Considering it could be sold easily to recover price paid or used if needed. At $38 I probably wouldn't buy it. Too close to what I could get a Lee set new for which is what would probalby happen if occasion arose to load 9mm and I didn't have a used die on hand.