PDA

View Full Version : Quest for Accuracy with "Checkmaker" Gaschecks

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I decided to take today and tomorrow off and work up some loads with my Checkmaker gaschecks in 30 caliber.

This past Christmas, I purchased my wife a Browning BLR Lightening in 308 Winchester as a present and we had not got a chance to fire it. It's about a 1994 year in mint condition. Looks to be hardly fired. Mounted a Nikon Monarch 2x7 on it, and cleaned the bore of copper down to bare metal.

What a nicely ballanced rifle. The only problem is the trigger pull. Darn harder than I prefer as it's probably 6-8 lbs. Definitely not bench friendly.

First I would like to clarify some details with our Checkmaker die sets. I read some posts over on another forum about my release of the dies, and the poster had made a few comments I would like to address. I'm glad they are at least talking about it.

One of the assumptions is our gascheck is formed without base support as the male die comes down and forms the check in the female die, thereby creating an "unsquare" based check.

Nothing could be further from the truth as our "check ejector" -as I like to call it, serves as a solid base (backed by the rigidity of your press) that the cut disk forms against- creating a square, concentric, flat based gascheck. No hollow base forming here. All of our future caliber Checkmaker die sets will have this feature- even the 50 caliber.

Below is a picture of the "check ejector" in the female die. The large flat head of the ejector sits on it's own shelf creating a solid base that transfers to the press ram.

Next is a picture of boolits I whipped up today from my LEE 311407 GB mold checked and sized to .310 with LBT blue soft lube and Checkmaker .010 soft copper gaschecks. My pics turned out bad this evening, but notice the "Square" flat bases.

I also perfected my design on the LEE Classic primer arm replacement (shown). I milled this out of aluminum flat. It sets in the ram slot and works flawlessly ejecting your gascheck from the die, then brining it to the top so you can easily remove it. (sorry for the blurring pics)

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Here's the happy girl with her first rifle.

I wanted to work up a light load for the BLR as the look of the cartridge was a little intimidating for her at first. Starting load was 18grs of Reloader 7 behind the 311407 (174gr) ACWW, with an AOL of 2.60 set just touching the rifling. Lee dies- factory crimp in my LEE Classic Turret... I LOVE this press..!

First pic shows 5 rounds with the 18grs of RL-7. Group was 2.21" x 1.74" center to center at 50 yards.

Next 5 rounds I bumped the load up to 19grns. The group improved with 1.465" x 1.510" center to center.

I'll continue working with this rifle tomorrow but for the first time out with the BLR, I'm very pleased and think it will be a great shooter. My wife was happy with the recoil and she placed a bullseye on her very second shot.

With a trigger job I bet I can cut those groups in half even.
Our Checkmaker gaschecks are easy to work with, and I've found no problem or difference in using my gaschecks compared to factory checks, and hopefully we'll have time to load some Hornady's up for comparison tomorrow.

Three44s
10-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Kudos Pat!!

Your Checkmaker will surely be a hit!!

How does your group buy work?

Do you fill orders as they come in or in groups of a specified number?

And in regards to what presses you make primer arm replacements for and for that matter ..... press leverage issues ..........

....... Is a RCBS Jr. plausible? (My compound press is a Lee Classice Turret)

Regards

Three 44s

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks 3-44's.

Were are taking orders over in the Group Buy section and we will be filling them as we fabricate them and get em' out the door... :drinks:

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 12:57 AM
More pics on operation instructions can be found here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31005&page=13

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 01:20 AM
..... press leverage issues ..........

....... Is a RCBS Jr. plausible? (My compound press is a Lee Classice Turret)

Regards

Three 44s

No leverage issues.

We are designing press arms for all slotted ram presses, so yes on your JR.

Bass Ackward
10-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Starting load was 18grs of Reloader 7 behind the 311407 (174gr) ACWW, with an AOL of 2.60 set just touching the rifling. First pic shows 5 rounds with the 18grs of RL-7. Group was 2.21" x 1.74" center to center at 50 yards.

Next 5 rounds I bumped the load up to 19grns. The group improved with 1.465" x 1.510" center to center.

Pat,

I know that its been awhile. :roll: But you need a little bit more than 400 fps to stabilize that. keeps the flies from landing on it and knocking it outta balance.

23 grains is about 1600 and up. Remember the chearleaders.

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
What cheerleaders?.. :mrgreen:

Yes I know it's a very low velocity load, but (400?) I was working with my wife, and I didn't want her to get gunshy and skeerd off by her new rifle right off the bat.

I planned on upping the HP today. Thanks for the data.. :drinks: