PDA

View Full Version : thermostat is done

GP100man
10-25-2008, 11:26 PM
fired up the pot & cast a bunch of 358477swc went to put ingots in & the thermostat never kiked back on .

so i wiggled the knob & it kiked on but would`nt kik off so i unplugged it , came in & searched" thermostat."
found & done the "tweak", yeah i bent it too much the first time but got it to kik off at 875f or so but when temp drops & time to kik on all i get is buzzing & gruntin.
i carefully cleaned the contacts , same results:(:(

shippin & special handlin is more than the part from midway:roll::roll:
gonna contact lee monday , i saw where someone ordered for $7.00 & $4.00shippin:-D:-D that i can do for a pot i only paid $36.00 for to begin with.

maybee that jolly man from the north might bring a big green castin pot :mrgreen::mrgreen:

i`m thru now.

GP100man:castmine:

Maximilian225
10-26-2008, 01:32 AM
It's always the piddly stuff that gets ya.

Jolly man from the north don't stop here any more, he left one reindeer down last time.
:mrgreen:

Did you clean the connections from the element?

GP100man
10-26-2008, 02:07 PM
element is fine , after the first tweakin it heat ed up qwik & i had to unplug it!

GP100man :cbpour:

Shotgun Luckey
10-28-2008, 09:47 PM
might as well order some extra parts while your at it....I hate to pay $4 to ship a $7 part....may as well spend $50

454PB
10-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I did a maintenance on my Lee Pro-4-20 last week. It's the first time it's been apart in 5 years of use. While I had it apart, I used emery cloth to clean up the contacts in the thermostat. Is that how you cleaned them? They tend to build tiny pits and spikes that slow the cycling. I also tightened the stake connectors. When I put it together and fired it up, I noticed much better heat contol while the RCBS thermometer was in place.

DLCTEX
10-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I use an emery board for fingernails for cleaning contacts. Insert board, push contacts closed and polish upper and lower at the same time. DALE

mike in co
10-28-2008, 11:31 PM
I use an emery board for fingernails for cleaning contacts. Insert board, push contacts closed and polish upper and lower at the same time. DALE

did you clean them afterwards ?? debris in the contacts would cause the same issue all over again.

mike in co

MT Gianni
10-28-2008, 11:56 PM
A business card is enough to smooth things up. Hold them together with the card in between and move it back and forth. Gianni

DLCTEX
10-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Mike: A good blast of CRC does the job.

GP100man
10-29-2008, 07:22 AM
i used emery cloth then cleaned with contact cleaner then dried with a little compressed air.
yeah , i had a small list of parts & components to order, so i went ahead with it , should be here friday.

GP100man:castmine:

scrapcan
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Dale and Gianni what you guys mentioned is the way I was shown to clean points in distributors. I have a bunch of finger nail file emory boards and old business cards in my tool box and emergency tool bag. I also have a few playing cards for setting the airgap on briggs and stratton coil packs. The only thin I have found is that the business cards should not be smooth/slick paper.

GP100man
10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
got the thermostats today & it works better than new , i think summtin was wrong with the original one .i can actually hear the contacts click closed & open.
it holds temp alot closer now too.

GP100man:cbpour: