PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Gunmakers in Virginia

6pt-sika
10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
A friend of mine has been taking me around to variouse blackpowder events in the state of Virginia .

It started about 8 weeks ago when I went to the blessing of Al Edge's new shop ! Now this guy makes some fine longrifles I gotta say !

Later I went to the North South Skirmish event in Winchester VA and saw some more nice stuff , but not longrifles .

Yesterday I went to a Rendevouse in Smithfield VA and was lucky enough to meet the gunsmith from Colonial Williamsburg , Clay Smith . And his stuff looked pretty awesome as well !

I have also been looking pretty hard at the work of Lowell Haarer another contemporary gunsmith in the Harrisonburg VA area .

Here's what I need ! Any info on other VA contemporary gunsmiths . I don't want to do it myself as I want it to look good ! I also am not looking for the cheapest price , but more the best quality I can afford !

oldhickory
10-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Try googling Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle makers and see what comes up. I don't know ant in Va. per-say, but I would be willing to bet you'll find a few by looking on google. Also, Jim Chambers website has a lot of good links on it. http://www.flintlocks.com/

Baron von Trollwhack
10-26-2008, 04:56 PM
There is the "Contemporary Longrifle Association" option. BvT

mooman76
10-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Sounds like you want a really fine BP rifle! Why limit yourself to VA.?

6pt-sika
10-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Try googling Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle makers and see what comes up. I don't know ant in Va. per-say, but I would be willing to bet you'll find a few by looking on google. Also, Jim Chambers website has a lot of good links on it. http://www.flintlocks.com/

Tried the google thing !
And the C.L.A. gives a pretty decent listing of smiths !

I prefer since I live in VA a gunsmith in VA that builds in the style of a gunsmith that was in VA .:drinks:

6pt-sika
10-27-2008, 12:57 AM
There is the "Contemporary Longrifle Association" option. BvT

Already checked out their webpage !

Their office is about 60 miles from me so I just might ride over the mountain and have a talk with them ! And there's also a decent smith in Harrisonburg right down I-81 from where the CLA office is !

6pt-sika
10-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Sounds like you want a really fine BP rifle! Why limit yourself to VA.?

Yes I do want a really nice flintlock longrifle !

And since I was born and raised in Virginia and spent alot of my youth in Colonial Williamsburg ! I have decided I want a rifle in the early Virginia style made by a smith that makes that type rifle who also lives in the state of Virginia !

I already know of three of them !

And if this is like anyhting else that concerns a gun that I get into . Just one ain't gonna do it :roll:

I actually want a 40 caliber and a 50 caliber !

oldhickory
10-27-2008, 05:33 AM
The Virginia smiths were mostly schooled in Lancaster and York countys of Pa. The styles are very much alike. Most early guns were of larger caliber than you describe, mine, (an early Pa. rifle) is .54 a lot of them went up to .62, some bigger...And the earlier the rifle, the barrels were about 36-40 inches in lenth, "golden age" (1790-1820) had barrels as long as 48", and were much more slim than early guns.

Earl Williams of Tennessee built mine, .54 with a 38" bbl. Tom Mayfield of Ill. also builds a very nice rifle for under $2000.00. Check Dixie Gun Works, antique arms section, contempory Pa/Ky rifles and you'll get an idea of who makes what and the cost, (Dixie's prices are inflated though). Also, if you're not in a rush, try Dixon's gun shop in Kempton, Pa. They host a gun makers fair the last weekend of July, or get on their website, they should have some answers for you on a builder in Va. as they deal with makers from all over the country.

6pt-sika
10-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Also, if you're not in a rush, try Dixon's gun shop in Kempton, Pa. They host a gun makers fair the last weekend of July, or get on their website.

I have been thinking about going to that for a couple months now !

I have three builders in Virginia already picked out !

www.aledge.com

www.lowellhaarer.com

Also the gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg , Clay Smith .

reivertom
10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
sounds like you've got the bug bad!

6pt-sika
10-28-2008, 12:22 AM
sounds like you've got the bug bad!

Not really any worse then anything else in the shooting sports that I have tried !

I am looking at these contemporary longrifles as a thing to shoot and quite possibly something that might just increase in value [smilie=1: