PDA

View Full Version : Too much RV for my Yukon?

Idaho45guy
06-08-2019, 12:10 PM
My elderly father has a 2003 Nomad Lite 24' travel trailer that he and his ex-wife spent 5 months in down in AZ last Winter. She divorced him when they got back and so he left the trailer as is, and it was absolutely filthy.

He offered to let me use it for the Summer if I cleaned it up and did maintenance, which seemed like a good deal at the time. After 2 solid days of scrubbing, it is better, but I still need at least another day of cleaning the bathroom, then power washing the exterior, and taking it to the local RV dump.

Towing it the 12 miles from his house to my house was an experience. It has an equalizer hitch, but he was in Boise for a match, and I had no idea to set it up.

I had installed a trailer brake controller, but didn't have it set up properly. My vehicle struggled to get above 50 mph in the rolling hills on the way back. When I got home, I could smell the trailer brakes and the rims were too hot to touch. Oops...

My only vehicle is a 2005 GMC Yukon with a small lift, 98k miles, and a 7500lb tow rating. The stock rear suspension was upgraded a couple of months ago with heavy-duty Z71 coils and Monroe Gas Magnum shocks. Trailer dry weight is 4700lbs. No idea what it is with full tanks and gear.

He tows the trailer with a 2005 Chevy 3/4-ton extended cab, long bed, 4x4 pickup.

Once I get the equalizer hitch set up correctly, and the brakes set up properly, is it still going to be too much trailer?

Not planning on going more than 50 miles from home since all of my favorite camping spots are pretty close by.

redneck1
06-08-2019, 12:15 PM
I think you'll be fine once you get the hitch at the right height , equalizer bars and the brakes sorted out .
It will pull a lot easier once it's set up right .

WebMonkey
06-08-2019, 12:19 PM
You don't mention your engine, transmission, factory tow package.
I don't know anything about Yukon's :)

I pulled a larger bumper pull with my 05 dodge ram quad cab.
4x4 5.7 hemi 17" rims factory tow pkg.

Equalizer hitch and low setting on the brake controller.
Pulled from Missouri Ozarks to magic kingdom and back.
No issues.

Good luck!

2wheelDuke
06-08-2019, 12:26 PM
I'm wondering if you had brakes dragging or if they were just giving too much while you were on the brakes.

What engine do you have in your Yukon? I have an 06 Sierra quad cab with the 5.3, and I'd have no qualms about towing that with my truck at all. I've towed heavier car trailers all over the place.

Screwbolts
06-08-2019, 12:47 PM
It is important when towing that the camper be level and straight with your tow vehicle, in the photo the nose of camper is way low and your tow vehicle is setting to nose high. Adjust the ball height so hitch of camper and ball of tow vehicle are the same height. then when you hook up adjust the tension on the load carrying bars so that the weight is transferred evenly front to back on tow vehicle, in other words so the TV is once again setting same as unhitched and trailer is once again level.

Ken

Idaho45guy
06-08-2019, 12:57 PM
You don't mention your engine, transmission, factory tow package.
I don't know anything about Yukon's :)

I pulled a larger bumper pull with my 05 dodge ram quad cab.
4x4 5.7 hemi 17" rims factory tow pkg.

Equalizer hitch and low setting on the brake controller.
Pulled from Missouri Ozarks to magic kingdom and back.
No issues.

Good luck!

The Yukon has factory tow package with the 5.3 V8. Previous vehicle was a 2014 Ram 1500 and it was much beefier and had 100 more hp.

DCP
06-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Use the water at the camp ground and keep the black tanks empty. You will save gas. Water weighs 8 lb per gallon

WheelgunConvert
06-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Lock out the overdrive for sure. I pull a 33’ 7800# with a 5.3 automatic , cooler, and 3.73 rear gears. It’s challenged a little in the hills and will occasionally go to second gear.

A good way to understand how a weight distributing hitch works is imagine how a wheelbarrow would distribute the weight if it was 4 wheels. The torsion bars are the handles for the wheelbarrow.

Adjusting the brake controller is not my specialty. I tune it to where it transitions from feeling like I’m being pushed when applying brakes to just a bit of drag from behind when starting to apply the brakes.

Lloyd Smale
06-08-2019, 01:10 PM
you wont be doing much passing cars on two lane roads in traffic but that Yukon should pull it no problem. If I was going on a round the country tour id probably want a 3/4 ton but for towing it a few hundred miles youll be fine.

Winger Ed.
06-08-2019, 02:02 PM
If you keep the extra weight off it, you should be fine.

I'd encourage putting a extra transmission cooler on it and change the fluid.
Most folks don't change the fluid until the trans. burns out, but there's a reason the fluid doesn't come with a lifetime guarantee.

Markopolo
06-08-2019, 02:05 PM
You can surely make any 50 mile trip once you get the hitch and brakes sorted out... look for a video on YouTube ... then hook it up and pull it around the neighborhood...those electric brakes should slow you down real nice but only when you push the pedal... you want them to brake you more then your suv brakes but not too much more. It will keep you from jack knife. Think of the trailer as an anchor. Touch the brakes and the trailer should slow you down first, then the vehicle brakes... if the vehicle brakes first, your brakes will surely over heat as you found out. That can cause warpage of your rotors, so don’t make a habit of that.. but you can do this... even if it was a bit large for your vehicle, which it probably isn’t, you can take a 50 mile trip with it no problem setup properly.

Marko

tinhorn97062
06-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Looks like your tongue weight is too much for your SUV. That’s going to make for a crappy trip. My own opinion, yes. You have too much trailer to safely tow. CAN you pull it? Sure. But not safely. If you were to panic stop from a highway speed, that trailer is going to throw you around...same if a wind catches it.

Duckiller
06-08-2019, 04:21 PM
How much does the Trailer weigh? If less than 7500 lbs then you should be fine. Have your father show you how to hook up brakes and hitch. Done wrong you could have had serious problems. Make sure trailer and Yukon are level when towing. Makes everything much better. Enjoy it.

jonp
06-08-2019, 04:22 PM
The Yukon has factory tow package with the 5.3 V8. Previous vehicle was a 2014 Ram 1500 and it was much beefier and had 100 more hp.

More than enough truck for that trailer. You can look in your owners manual or online. Several so sights will let you put in your VIN and will tell you what you have. My F150 with factory tow and the 5.4 Triton is 7500 or 9,000 lbs or so. The rear gears will be the limit I think. You know what rear end you have. Remember when figuring the total weight to include everything your hauling and yourselves in the weight

Just make sure those brakes work correctly. Seeing smoke from them is not something you ever want to experience going down a mountain

osteodoc08
06-08-2019, 05:05 PM
I towed a 7500# 28’ travel trailer with my 2010 GMC 1500 crew with 5.3 and 6 speed with tow package. You shouldn’t have struggled getting to 50. Matter of fact, mine made it to 55/60 without difficulty. It’s the wind resistance that hurt more than anything. Make sure you have a trans cooler and your vehicle is up to snuff. Get the brake controller checked as the brakes should not smell and be that hot unless riding them down a long downhill grade. Get the equalizer set up right. Should be GTG.

metricmonkeywrench
06-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Can we get a closer view of your hitch area? Not sure what type of leveling system you have. I think your at a disadvantage from the get go with too low of a hitch ball to start off.

Seen weirder set-ups over the years. I once saw a station wagon towing a full sized mobile home and a van/trailer so overloaded that the hitch ball stud would hit the road on every bump in the road.

+1 on checking the brakes, one or more may have been dragging.

Eddie17
06-08-2019, 05:29 PM
My mistake, water weighs 8.3+/- per gallon

osteodoc08
06-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Go the the equalizer web site and find how to set up the hitch. I used it on mine and felt it worked well.

Minerat
06-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Your break controller should be set around 4 and then adjusted up or down depending on the load and terrain. I pull a 7500 lb utility trailer loaded with 2 big atvs (650's) and gear or loaded with tents, stoves and other equipment for elk camp each year. It varied from 5000 to 6500 loaded and going down the west side of Vail pass I usually have it set at 4. When empty I set at 1.5.

Also, set the controller to zero when backing your brain will thank you.

My tow rig is a Chevy Highcountry 3/4 ton, 6.0 engine. So can't relate to your less hp. But if you towing capacity is more then your trailer you should be fine. Nothing worse the trailer brake issues and your speed problem may have been related to them being on when you took it home. Just make sure your controller is wired right to the truck wiring harness.

Idaho45guy
06-08-2019, 07:51 PM
Great responses!

The Yukon was equipped with a factory tow package, so I just plugged the controller directly into the correct fuse box spot under the dash; super easy.

I just leveled the trailer, so next step is to measure the height of the trailer tongue and match it to the unloaded height of the Yukon hitch. The hitch is adjustable in height, so I should be able to get it perfect.

I do recall when I was towing, and when I hit the brakes, the number on the controller went to 7.5, which is apparently much too high. There is also an adjustment on the side of the controller that my dad said is critical as well.

Unfortunately, I don't do campgrounds. So I have to pack in my water. But I only plan on 1-night trips, so shouldn't need full tanks.

I just got my utility trailer back from the tire dealer. I did an axle flip on it last weekend and ordered bigger and beefier tires for it. I used it to haul my UTV into the mountains and needed more ground clearance and tougher tires due to rocks and sticks. Yukon handles it just fine...

Light attack
06-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Wife and I deliver RVs for a living. Your brake controller should be set so that you don't lock up the trailer tires when you put on the truck brakes. Use enough brake so the trailer helps you stop otherwise it will push you. Each trailer is different. There are good videos on youtube for setting up the hitch. Basically hook up the ball, raise the trailer/truck 4 inches above normal ride height , hookup the torsion bars then lower the trailer. Watch a video it will make sense when you match up your set up with the directions. Definitely get the trailer wiring harness checked to be sure it is wired correctly. Take it easy and you should be fine.

metricmonkeywrench
06-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Did your controller come with instructions? The adjustment on the side is either the gain (how hard the brakes are applied on the trailer when brakes are called for) or a leveling adjustment for the controller, some older controllers had a swinging weight type set up that would increase the trailer braking force (more gain) in relation to the deceleration of the towing vehicle.

As a quick check hold a compass near each wheel when the brakes are applied the magnets in each wheel are energized and the compass will react. This is good for a quick check to see if there is a dead brake.

jonp
06-08-2019, 09:09 PM
I towed a 7500# 28’ travel trailer with my 2010 GMC 1500 crew with 5.3 and 6 speed with tow package. You shouldn’t have struggled getting to 50. Matter of fact, mine made it to 55/60 without difficulty. It’s the wind resistance that hurt more than anything. Make sure you have a trans cooler and your vehicle is up to snuff. Get the brake controller checked as the brakes should not smell and be that hot unless riding them down a long downhill grade. Get the equalizer set up right. Should be GTG.

Shouldn't the factory tow package include a trans cooler? My truck has the factory package and one is included. I.assumed that would be standard across all manus

Minerat
06-08-2019, 10:36 PM
The wheel on the side determines how fast the trailer breaks are applied. From touch the break pedal and the controller applies pressure fast to touch pedal and they are applied gradually. Kind of like pushing on the tow vehicles break pedal.

sigep1764
06-09-2019, 12:29 AM
No need to lock out overdrive. The tow package on that GM has a button on the end of the gear selector that firms up shifts, raises shift points, and lowers the threshold of downshifting. It will select the correct gear when necessary towing up to the max tow weight. We pulled 7000lbs with a similarly equipped Suburban every other weekend for 3 months straight moving my grandparents 5hours away through everything from flat land into the Ozarks. Loads were cars, boats, small tractors, furniture, tools, lifts, etc. Get the equalizer hitch setting figured out and tow away. I have an 84 GMC Jimmy K5 that has towed a 4000lb boat through the same. It simply needs a manual downshift into 3rd going uphill and all is well.

6bg6ga
06-09-2019, 05:54 AM
Generally your vehicle manual states to not tow in overdrive period. This is true with the Ford E250 Vans that I drove for 26 years and our 2004 GMC Envoy we own. The GM Chevy vehicles I have drive also stated in their manuals to not use the overdrive. I DO NOT recommend to drive in overdrive at all and I don't care if you have a tow package or not.

DCP
06-09-2019, 08:51 AM
Don't forget to cross the chains!
Did I say?
Don't forget to cross the chains!

MostlyLeverGuns
06-09-2019, 09:39 AM
I've pulled a trailer about that size across I-80 into the Wyoming mountains quite a bit with a 2003 Silverado 1/2 ton, 4 wheel drive, 5.3. I did have the factory towing set-up and 4.11 rear-end put in when I ordered it. I spend a lot of time going up and down some tough hills in Wyoming and Colorado without problems, won't run with heavy duty diesels, but gets me there, just a little slower on the steeper grades.

Lionel Allen
06-09-2019, 02:48 PM
If the hubs were hot, it sounds like the bearings needed repacking, or the brakes might have been dragging a bit.
I'm leaning towards the bearings needing attention, because in my experience dragging brakes will put out a large cloud of white smelly smoke. (But then I drive a semi, so not quite the same braking system)

osteodoc08
06-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Yes, it should have a trans cooler if factory equipped with tow package.

Which brake controller do you have? There should be a way to adjust the gain (yours was set 7.5) and there should be a way to activate the brakes manually with a slide or button to press (use this if the trailer starts to sway). If the brakes are set up they shouldn’t lock up and you shouldn’t feel the trailer push you. You’ll get a feel for it.

As mentioned. Check the hubs, grease them and perform basic maintenance. Make sure the tires. Are good to go and not dry rotted. Losing a tire at speed can make you wanna change your pants in short order. Carry a spare and jack and make sure you have a lug wrench that fits.

Idaho45guy
06-09-2019, 03:26 PM
I've got a Reese model brake controller with the digital readout, the +/- wheel on top and a 3 or 4 position switch on the side.

Idaho45guy
06-09-2019, 08:44 PM
I guess I don't have to worry about it after all. Dad has early onset Alzeimer's and doesn't recall telling me I could take it to my place. Is now claiming that his insurance won't let me borrow it and he wants it back. Claims he's going to use it this summer. He doesn't have enough upper body strength to work the leveling jacks anymore. So I guess I wasted all my time off this week getting it ready for him to sell it. Figures.

Daver7
06-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Good advice, I'll add I have the same engine and pull my 28 foot camper from Kansas to the U.P. I think it's been mentioned but worth repeating to lock the auto transmission out of overdrive. I've heard of people burning up a transmission by leaving it in overdrive while towing.

MrWolf
06-10-2019, 12:34 PM
I guess I don't have to worry about it after all. Dad has early onset Alzeimer's and doesn't recall telling me I could take it to my place. Is now claiming that his insurance won't let me borrow it and he wants it back. Claims he's going to use it this summer. He doesn't have enough upper body strength to work the leveling jacks anymore. So I guess I wasted all my time off this week getting it ready for him to sell it. Figures.

Very sorry to hear that. My Mom had early onset at 55. Very ugly and devasting disease. Prayers sent, especially for the patience you will need.

Wis Tom
06-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Yes, patience is needed. My father lives with us, and it is fulltime care, and very trying. Prays for you.

Lloyd Smale
06-13-2019, 06:37 AM
funny how back in the 70s a 3/4 ton truck with drum rear brakes and MAYBE 200 hp and a 3 speed automatic was considered a towning MACHINE.

6bg6ga
06-13-2019, 06:44 AM
funny how back in the 70s a 3/4 ton truck with drum rear brakes and MAYBE 200 hp and a 3 speed automatic was considered a towning MACHINE.

I lot of it is gearing and torque.

My 1974 Ford F250 with a 360 engine, 4 speed, and 4:11 gears would tow a horse trailer with two horses in it without a problem. My friends Ford with the same engine, transmission, and economy gearing had problems. It takes gearing to do the torque multiplication needed to move the heavy loads. If equipped with an automatic tow out of overdrive, have a heavy duty radiator, and have appropriate rear end gearing.

snowwolfe
06-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Don't be to disappointed. In a week or a month he will forget he said that and will ask you why you haven't taken it yet.
Sad, but true.

snowwolfe
06-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Gearing makes so much difference. I ordered my 2019 gas Super Duty with 4:30's and absolutely love it. I get as good, if not better mileage than most of the guys on the forums with 3:73's and my truck tows like a dream.

Idaho45guy
06-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Don't be to disappointed. In a week or a month he will forget he said that and will ask you why you haven't taken it yet.
Sad, but true.

Supposed to bring it back today, and I'm sure he'll tell me to go ahead and keep it.

And yes, gearing is very important. Yukon has 3.23 gears. Sad.

NSB
06-13-2019, 11:44 AM
For four years I towed a 22ft. 5th wheel with a GMC S10 pickup truck with no problems at all. It only had a 4.3L six in it. Never over heated and only on the worst hills did I have to slow down to around 50mph to top them. I'm not saying that was a good package, I'm saying that with the trailer you have and even the small V8 in your vehicle, you should have no problems at all. None. Set the trailer brake up so that it's not on until you hit your brake. Then the trailer brakes should be stopping just a tiny little bit stronger than your tow vehicle brakes are. The proper tow hitch will make a lot of difference. Don't use the over-drive gear either.

Moleman-
06-13-2019, 12:17 PM
I use a 2012 F150 4dr 4x4 with the towing package and a 5.0 to tow a 26' (hitch to bumper is around 31') Forest River with a dry weight of 5600# plus 1800# cargo for a total of 7400#. We bought it when it was 2 years old. Had to set up the hitch in their gravel driveway. That 45 minute drive home I thought we'd made a mistake as it seemed like the camper was moving the truck a lot and got much worse over 50mph. Got it home and set the hitch up again on a flat level concrete driveway and it was like night and day. We regularly take it on trips of 1-3 hours each way and yearly take it on a trip of slightly over 5 hrs at highway speeds. I think once the kids are gone we'll drop down to a smaller 20'-22'camper

Idaho45guy
06-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Got the camper returned today among much trepidation and issues. Got the weight distribution hitch set up better, but not perfect but didn't want to mess with it in 85 degree weather. Looks much better. Not perfect, but good enough for the 12 miles to dad's.

Hooked up everything and adjusted the trailer brake setting to 4. Got out of town and suddenly couldn't go above 50mph. Pulled over and the trailer brakes were smoking. They suddenly decided to engage. Could not get them to release. Trailer brake controller wouldn't show a number when braking. Tried scraping the plug-in connector terminals and wiggling it in the plug and the light came on and the brakes released. Went 20' and number went away and brakes came on. Tried to repeat and no dice. Brakes would not release. Luckily I had cell service and called my dad and asked if he could come get the trailer with his truck. Nope. My problem so figure it out.

Searched online while on the side of the road for an hour and tried everything. Completely unplugged the connector and would roll forward a few feet then the brakes would engage. Finally decided to just cut the power wire to the brakes at the trailer wheels. Heard the magnets release.

Got back on the road and the trailer was surprisingly easy to tow. Very confident that if I got the brakes figured out and the weight distribution hitch perfect, that I could tow it quite easily.

Got it back to dad's and parked it. He offered to sell it to me really cheap. I declined. Then he said I could use it whenever. I declined.

RV stands for "Ruins Vacation"...

Maybe next year I'll buy my own, but not going to mess with his anymore.

jsizemore
06-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Sounds like the mess I went through with my father. I still helped when I could but didn't accept anything from him.

skeettx
06-13-2019, 06:06 PM
Ruins Vacation,
I love this
Kind of like a boat, walk by it and throw in money :)

Idaho45guy
06-13-2019, 06:32 PM
Heading into the woods tomorrow with some friends to ride ATVs. My trailer and UTV are less than a year old and well-maintained. Just did an axle flip on the trailer and lifted it, then installed bigger and tougher tires so I don't have to worry about ground clearance or sharp rocks in the mountains. It is well matched to the Yukon...

Lloyd Smale
06-14-2019, 08:02 AM
one of the lineman on my crew had a short box standard cab 1987 k15 chev with a 4.3 v6. He pulled his 26 foot Boat a 120 miles round trip to lake Michigan about once a month. It made it squat and he didn't pull it 70mph but it did pull it. probably weighted as much as two 26 foot campers.
For four years I towed a 22ft. 5th wheel with a GMC S10 pickup truck with no problems at all. It only had a 4.3L six in it. Never over heated and only on the worst hills did I have to slow down to around 50mph to top them. I'm not saying that was a good package, I'm saying that with the trailer you have and even the small V8 in your vehicle, you should have no problems at all. None. Set the trailer brake up so that it's not on until you hit your brake. Then the trailer brakes should be stopping just a tiny little bit stronger than your tow vehicle brakes are. The proper tow hitch will make a lot of difference. Don't use the over-drive gear either.

white eagle
06-14-2019, 10:37 AM
by the looks of the picture yeah it's to much for your chevy
proper hitch and trailer brakes are a must
I pull a 33' rv with my f150 but I have a load carrying hitch with sway bar
and I have air adjustable shocks that max out at 4000# so it's set up to pull
I have read the weight of trailer unloaded is 6500#