PDA

View Full Version : Got my muzzleloader elk tag

brewer12345
06-05-2019, 08:26 PM
But struck out on deer. May get a concurrent bear tag in case we see a bruin while searching for a cow elk. This will be my first muzzleloader hunt. Planning on using a 54 lee real. Assume that would put the smack on a bear just as well?

FrontierMuzzleloading
06-05-2019, 08:39 PM
buck tag for me, dad and bro drew doe tags.

Winger Ed.
06-05-2019, 08:43 PM
Good luck guys!

OverMax
06-06-2019, 01:06 AM
Where there is Elk there are grizzly's not far from.
One shot with REAL.~~ Really? After researching how fast a bummed-out Bear can cover 50 yards on the quick step? "No I don't think so. Not my cup of tea."
U willing others. Don't let my Cautiousness stop you from achieving media Recognition.

charlie b
06-06-2019, 06:46 AM

Maybe black bear but not grizzly, at least not in AZ and NM. I think you are referring to the NW states or Canada.

Chill Wills
06-06-2019, 11:03 AM
One shot with REAL.~~ Really? After researching how fast a bummed-out Bear can cover 50 yards on the quick step? "No I don't think so. Not my cup of tea."
U willing others. Don't let my Cautiousness stop you from achieving media Recognition.

Colorado = Black bear. No grizzly bear anymore.

Just for conversation - Say it was a large bear; A 54 RB is maybe a little light for a grizzly but a 54 cal bullet, any bullet! That is a big long hole through meat.
I would not want to do it in any case because I would not want to try to reload a ML after making a bad shot on a big bear without a friend next to me with a repeater. I guess I got chicken in my old age.

But for Colorado Elk and Black Bear a 54ML is just fine.

Chill Wills
06-06-2019, 11:04 AM
But struck out on deer. May get a concurrent bear tag in case we see a bruin while searching for a cow elk. This will be my first muzzleloader hunt. Planning on using a 54 lee real. Assume that would put the smack on a bear just as well?

What unit did you draw your tag?

triggerhappy243
06-06-2019, 01:40 PM
54 real will be just fine. PRACTICE-PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE.

brewer12345
06-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Drew in 501. I am legal to carry a sidearm, which will be a 45 stuffed with +p fodder. In the unlikely event I even see a bear, I would have my own repeater as back if I hit one and don't kill it.

FrontierMuzzleloading
06-07-2019, 04:08 PM
if you have a 54, no reason for the conical, that round ball do the job and then some.

brewer12345
06-07-2019, 05:04 PM
if you have a 54, no reason for the conical, that round ball do the job and then some.

Planning to hit the range again tomorrow to try to decide. Assume with round ball I need to be within 50 yards?

brewer12345
06-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Lengthy rage session today to figure out loads. For elk I want to use my 54 since it is handier and lighter than my 50 Hawken. I figured out with a Lee REAL and an overpowder wad, 100 grains of Black MZ gets me a clover leaf on the bullseye at 50 yards. I struggle to see the 100 yard target, so I think my max shot will be 75 yards. 375 grains should have plenty of knockdown powder on a cow.

I did not draw a deer tag, so I put in for a couple different deer muzzleloader tags in the leftover draw. If I get one, the area I will hunt will be river bottom where a 50 yard shot might be kind of a long one. I want to try the Hawken with PRB if I get the tag, so I did some fooling around with it. With ball, patch and powder, I can only get to 50 grains and stay accurate with Black MZ. When I put a wad underneath the patched ball, my groups shrink dramatically and I can go up to 75 grains with accuracy. Based on the chrono data posted a month or two by frontiermuzzloading, I'd guess that this is doing around 1500 FPS. running that through a ballistic calculator, that should have north of 800 foot pounds to 100 yards, so a 50 and in shot should have plenty of killing power for a broadside shot. If I get the tag, I will revisit the idea of a conical for this rifle since it will group maxi balls.