PDA

View Full Version : Bulge in the case

abunaitoo
06-05-2019, 05:51 PM
9mm Largo again.
Almost straight case.
When I seat the boolet, I get a bulge, in the case, at the base of the boolet.
Sometimes it will not chamber.
Rather than pull and resize, I run it through a full length sizer until the bulge is gone.
I don't run it all the way up, just enough to remove the bulge.
I'm thinking it is resizing the boolet.
I'm trying reloading un-sized cases.
Seems to help a little.
Any one have a way to remove, or prevent, the bulge????

Winger Ed.
06-05-2019, 06:03 PM
A little bit of bulge from the boolit is common depending on brass thickness, the die's size, etc.

If it's so much it won't chamber-
Sort of sounds like the boolit is too large in diameter, or you got some real thick walled brass.

country gent
06-05-2019, 06:12 PM
The bulge can be prominent by dies that over size the case smaller then the expander and a oversized bullet. ( Ive seen some 45 acp dies that loaded ammo had the "coke bottle" look to them). Short of lapping polishing the sizing die out and or different expanders there's not a lot you can do. Bullet dia will have a big effect here. Some times a slightly longer expander rod with a slight lead in taper helps remove it visually

tomme boy
06-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Try a 38S&W expander. It works for regular 9mm.

waksupi
06-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Do the seating of the bullet and the crimp in separate stages. I need to do that with .45acp to avoid the bulge.

RED BEAR
06-06-2019, 05:55 PM
I had the cases bulge on 380 and 32 acp to the point some would not chamber. Turned out to be the expander called rcbs and they sent me a new shorter one. Now if the bullet is doing it can't help.