PDA

View Full Version : Price on a bar of 50/50 solder?

FN in MT
10-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Saw some 50/50 bar solder today ....it was $5.49 a bar. Too High? Anyplace to buy it online??

DID score 100 pounds of WW's though buying some new tires for the CRV. I've Known the Tire Dealer a long time and he threw the WW's in with the tire purchase!!

FN in MT

docone31
10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
That price is about right for over the counter.
Good score!!!
That will keep you a castin.

montana_charlie
10-25-2008, 02:10 PM
If you are comfortable dealing on eBay, you might check out this guy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Lbs-50-50-Bar-Solder-Lead-Ingot-BULLET-LEAD_W0QQitemZ140277376938QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 140277376938&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

His product is supposed to be a 50/50 mix of tin and lead that he mixes himself.
If I needed tin, I would consider buying from him because his prices work out pretty good. But, I would first ask him if I could just buy straight tin...
CM

FN in MT
10-25-2008, 04:55 PM
MT Charlie,

Big R in Gt Falls had the 50/50 bar solder. FIRST place I've seen it! I've got a few small TIN ingots so I'm set for now....Simply looking ahead.

I may have picked up some tin anyway as I snagged some strange ingots that are eerily LIGHT so I'm thinking more tin than lead? I'll have to take a few digitals and post them. Someone may be able to ID them.

The guy off of E Bay in Laurel seems to be a good deal. I'll contact him and see if he will sell me pure tin. I'll let You know.

FN in MT

Chunky Monkey
11-04-2008, 08:08 AM
MT Charlie,

Big R in Gt Falls had the 50/50 bar solder. FIRST place I've seen it! I've got a few small TIN ingots so I'm set for now....Simply looking ahead.

I may have picked up some tin anyway as I snagged some strange ingots that are eerily LIGHT so I'm thinking more tin than lead? I'll have to take a few digitals and post them. Someone may be able to ID them.

The guy off of E Bay in Laurel seems to be a good deal. I'll contact him and see if he will sell me pure tin. I'll let You know.

FN in MT

I contacted him and he said that since his tin is hard to come buy he would not sell any. I did buy 25 lbs of 50/50 from him though. We'll see what it's like.

Calamity Jake
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I've got about 60# of 40/60 Tin/lead at $4.00 a # + shipping if anybody wants any.
I had it swape and sell a few months ago.

FN in MT
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
ChunkMonkey,

Let me know how it works out. I do get out towards Billings occasionally so could pick up.

FN in MT

sniper
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I bought some 50-50 lead/tin from a guy on eBay...Queenieviking.

He advertised 10 lbs of product; the package, per him, weighed 9 lbs 14 oz. as shipped. With estimated 3-5 oz. packaging included, that is approaching a 1/2 lb. short weight. Buyer beware!

Because I complained, he won't let me bid on his stuff again. :mrgreen:(Oh, DEAR !)

I'd rather deal with the guys on the forum, as all so far have been excellent to buy from.

montana_charlie
11-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Because I complained, he won't let me bid on his stuff again (Oh, DEAR !).
A search for that username on eBay yeilds no results.
You must have REALLY made him mad...
CM

smlekid
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I work next to a radiator repair place and by chance discovered they keep all the solder from radiator repairs they used to drop it into a container melt it into large ingots and send it to a place for recyling I was able to get hold of 3 of these ingots they weigh about 45ib each it might be worth checking out such places

Chunky Monkey
11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I bought some 50-50 lead/tin from a guy on eBay...Queenieviking.

He advertised 10 lbs of product; the package, per him, weighed 9 lbs 14 oz. as shipped. With estimated 3-5 oz. packaging included, that is approaching a 1/2 lb. short weight. Buyer beware!

Because I complained, he won't let me bid on his stuff again. :mrgreen:(Oh, DEAR !)

I'd rather deal with the guys on the forum, as all so far have been excellent to buy from.

I bought 25 pounds from Queenieviking. The box came marked 26# by him. However the printed label by the USPS indicates WGT: 025. I haven't weighed the ingots but I may be short a little also. If I get a chance I'll weigh mine. I will say that they were well packaged. Not as nice as fishhawks pure lead but well packaged!

Chunky Monkey
11-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Well I just weighed my so called 25 pounds of 50/50 - well there's only 20.5 (lets call it 21 pounds). :mad: There was only 23 bars (lee, lyman, rcbs, etc) of the 1 lb size. None of them are overly big, like the ones I cast every now and then. I emailed him. We'll see what reply I get.

I would never have though of weighing or counting it. I guess I'm too trusting.

Chunky Monkey
11-21-2008, 10:35 PM
UPDATE!

I originally gave queenyviking positive rep on fleebay. Once I read sniper's post I decided to weigh mine and realized that I had been shorted. I then emailed queenyviking explaining that I only got about 21 lbs. and that the packaging mat'l was 4 lbs. queenyviking said they would check shipping records and let me know. Took them a few days, I figured that was the end of it.

I just received the following email from queenyviking, "I'll be doing another round of shipping Monday or Tuesday. I'll email you when I send it out. Sorry for the error.

Thanks!"

I will keep you posted to see how this turns out. Sniper, not sure why they wouldn't correct your transaction?

FN in MT
11-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Chunky,

Thanks for the update. Next trip over to Billings I'm going to drop him a line and see if I could get some more 50/50.

Thanks........... FN in MT

Chunky Monkey
12-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Finally got settled with Queenviking. They shorted me on about 4 lbs of 50/50. I dug out the box they shipped it in and the delivery weight was 25 lbs exact (21 lbs of 50/05 and 4 lbs packaging material).

The said they would send the the additional 4 lbs. Emailed and told me they shipped it but I never got it. I emailed them back and they said they could refund the amount of 4 lbs. I got a money order in the mail yesterday for $9.60.

I had to keep emailing them every couple of days, I think they got tired of me. I would buy from them but be sure to tell them that you want the actual pounds of 50/50 that you pay for. I think they figure that if you pay for 25 lbs and you get a heavy box you'll never weigh it. If it wouldn't have been for Sniper I would have gotten shorted out of 4 lbs.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

jnovotny
12-25-2008, 01:50 PM
sounds like if you can't trust the guy to ship the correct amount of what he is selling can you trust the composition of what you are getting

GLL
12-25-2008, 09:32 PM
JMax just sold a few hundred pounds of 60/40 Sn/Pb solder in the classifieds here as "drizzles and drips" such that it worked out to $2.60/lb for the Sn. His was an outstanding deal for many of us compared to the $10.98/lb of Sn in the bars you are looking at.

When I buy solder I always try to determine cost of the Sn alone in the deal.

All of us who got some of it thank you John ! :) :)

P.S. : John is a great guy to deal with !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/93FC6FD5BB15F15/orig.jpg

ingots /5.5lb each

http://www.fototime.com/FAFCDABCB7A382A/orig.jpg

Tru-Cast
12-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Do not deal with Queenyviking. In October 2008 I bought 260# of "50/50" bar solder from Queenyviking (Rhiannon Schreiner) of Montana Cast Bullets. After using some it didn't seem quite right so I had it assayed. It came out 0.42% tin and 98.14% lead. They have not returned my phone calls for 2 months. I am buying only certified bar solder from now on.

45nut
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Queenyviking is not a member here, just to clarify.

fishhawk
12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
and just for the record being chunky monkey mentiond it every one who orderd lead from me got more than 50 lbs in the box some was only 1/4 lb and some was up to 3 lbs but all more than 50 lbs steve k

Willbird
12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Having cast a few lymaz ingots in 60/40 I can tell you that to get a 1lb ingot you have to HEAP it in there and cut the ingots apart with a hatchet afterwards. So if your "1lb" ingots do not look like than then you got stiffed :-). In the future if you buy on Ebay before you leave feedback cut an ingot in half with hatched and a large hammer....60/40 cuts a LOT different than softer alloys.

Bill

yodar
01-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I've got about 60# of 40/60 Tin/lead at $4.00 a # + shipping if anybody wants any.
I had it swap and sell a few months ago.
==========================
Considering tin is $12.00 or more (depending on market) the price is an all-heart deal

I paid $52 for two assayed 1 lb pure tin bars for emergencys and have used 1/2 " in two years

I have lino as my tin source since my 67/33 bar solder deal dried up.

A guy on ebay sells what he calls lino for $2.00 lb

You pays yer money, you takes yer chances.

I'd jump on this deal from a list member I KNEW before I went to some stranger form Ebay

pjh421
01-02-2009, 01:44 AM
If I was getting casting alloy from an unknown (and therefore untrusted) source and the ingots were light, one of the first things I'd suspect would be zinc contamination. Congratulations to the members, owner and staff of this forum for promoting a culture of integrity, trust, good sportsmanship, etc. Paying for a bar of 50/50 solder and receiving one that assays at less than half of one percent tin is just pretty poor. You won't catch me doing business with Montana Cast Bullets! Thank you for identifying these ***holes.

Paul

Chunky Monkey
01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I finally got my refund from them. I'm done with them. If l need to I'll go to lowes and buy solder.

opentop
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
If l need to I'll go to lowes and buy solder.

I was at lowes and priced lead free solder. Your gonna pay around $25.00 per pound that way.

Echo
01-09-2009, 02:19 AM
I believe Grainger still has it for about $80/10 lbs, delivered. That's lead-free (AKA 98%tin, trace of copper, trace of silver, trace of antimony) solder. Just checked their site - $7/lb, item #1ZHW2, plus shipping. I bought 10 lbs a few months ago, and the total was less than $80.

Chunky Monkey
01-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Quote:
If l need to I'll go to lowes and buy solder.

I was at lowes and priced lead free solder. Your gonna pay around $25.00 per pound that way.

I didn' realize it would be that much but that was if I had to. It would still be better than giving $ to vikingqueen and not knowing when or if I was gonna get what I paid for.

I believe Grainger still has it for about $80/10 lbs, delivered. That's lead-free (AKA 98%tin, trace of copper, trace of silver, trace of antimony) solder. Just checked their site - $7/lb, item #1ZHW2, plus shipping. I bought 10 lbs a few months ago, and the total was less than $80.

Hey, we have a Grainger store about 4 miles from where I work. I'll have to check them next time I need tin. Thanks! :-D

FN in MT
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
GLL,

Great ingot mould. I'm using a muffin pan. I may steal your idea and build a similar mould. Whats the dimensions or material used??

FN in MT