PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 356429

Green Frog
06-03-2019, 11:00 PM
I thought I had started this thread before, but I can't seem to locate it, so I'll try again. Back in the early Spring a friend in my local shooting club gifted me with a nice old Lyman mould labeled 356429. :D

I haven't cast with it myself yet, but it came with a cigar box full of unsized bullets from the mould, cast using a mostly COWW alloy. I'm wondering whether I can get a casual target load (for my early post-War K-38) built around these bullets. I'm hoping when I play with the alloy a little I can get the diameter up to at least 357, but I'll have to fool around with it a little. 8-)

Not looking for the "hammer of Thor" or anything like it, just a mild plinking load. Does anyone have any good tested loads they'd like to share? I already have a 357156 mould I could use, but everybody has one of those!:wink:

Thanks in advance!
Froggie

skeettx
06-03-2019, 11:18 PM
OLD Lyman Reloading handbook,
3.5 Grains of Bullseye, 900 fps,
And I load 2.7 grains of Bullseye for a milder, accurate load

Mike

Green Frog
06-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Thanks, Mike. I’ve got a 2.7 and a 3.0 gr bushing for my old Pacific Pistol measure, so I should be able to get something going pretty easily. Seems like old Elmer just wanted “earschplitten loudenboomer” loads with this bullet. I’m hoping for something a little less enthusiastic for that old ‘48 vintage K-38. Like me, it’s a little too old to be pushed very hard. I sure hope I can trick that mould into dropping a large enough diameter bullet... :roll:

Froggie

sigep1764
06-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Have you measured the diameter of the cast boolits in the box?

Walks
06-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Yep, the Lyman#358429 is accurate.
I load 2.7grs of Bullseye for my old 6" S&W M&P for POA/POI at 50ft.
3.5grs of Bullseye for my 6" Colt Official Police for the same results.
It is a very accurate in any Revolver I've ever tried.

But I have never heard of a #35(6)429, maybe you read that wrong or it's stamped wrong. A not unheard of thing out of The old Lyman Shop.

You're lucky to get that Generous gift.